• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah @Solitude, UT with a fine Ski Talk telemarker 4 Feb 22

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got to ski this afternoon (4 Feb 22) with @Daniel at Solitude, UT. Daniel is pretty modest and unassuming, but let me tell you he's got to be one of the finest telemark skiers in the Ski Talk universe. That he's also a senior citizen makes his abilities and fitness all the more impressive! Daniel and I skied a fair amount of bumps today and Daniel skis them with a smooth form of aggression. And he skis them fast. He was waiting at the bottom for me on every little stretch of moguls we tackled today off the Solitude Summit Chair, the Eagle Express Chair, the Powderhorn Chair, and even the Sunrise chair - where there was some surprisingly good snow in a quiet section of the resort.

Because Daniel moves rather speedily, especially for a telemarker, I had a tough time capturing his skill, and usually was snapping photos when he was already well downhill from me. But here are a few that hopefully convey a little bit of how beautiful a skier this guy is!

Shady Dan getting ready to lead me into Headwall Forest:
dan pose 4 feb 22.jpg

dan trees pose 4 feb 22.jpg

dan soli forest.jpg

dan trees 4 feb 22.jpg

Here's a sequence near Solitude's summit.
dan soli summit 4 feb 22.jpg
dan soli summit5 4 feb 22.jpg
dan soli summit2 4 feb 22.jpg
dan soli summit3 4 feb 22.jpg
dan soli summit4 4 feb 22.jpg

Who else on Ski Talk skis telemark on a regular basis? It's a beautiful technique to watch when you see someone who's really good at it!

Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A good telemarker is fun to watch. So much work and they make it look so easy. Imagine doing a squat every time you make a turn.
The snow looks pretty good out there despite the lack of fresh snow. Enjoy.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow! Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I had no idea you were snapping photos, other than the one you took when we were about to ski Headwall Forest. I think I have your method figured out. You suggest I lead the way and, when I do, out comes the camera. I think that explains why I'd often be waiting for you at the bottom of a run: you gave me a big head start by assuming your role as stealth photographer. Anyway, the best ski-related complements to receive are those offered up from a skilled skier such as yourself. Here's hoping the next time we hook up for a ski session we'll be shredding some plentiful Utah pow!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I had no idea you were snapping photos, other than the one you took when we were about to ski Headwall Forest. I think I have your method figured out. You suggest I lead the way and, when I do, out comes the camera. I think that explains why I'd often be waiting for you at the bottom of a run: you gave me a big head start by assuming your role as stealth photographer. Anyway, the best ski-related complements to receive are those offered up from a skilled skier such as yourself. Here's hoping the next time we hook up for a ski session we'll be shredding some plentiful Utah pow!
Daniel, it is so cool to see those photos of you skiing. As somebody who just started to learn to tele this season, I’m inspired. My season is over, but photos like these get me stoked for next season.

@Jim Kenney your photographs are amazing. Great job capturing the terrain!

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Daniel, it is so cool to see those photos of you skiing. As somebody who just started to learn to tele this season, I’m inspired. My season is over, but photos like these get me stoked for next season.

@Jim Kenney your photographs are amazing. Great job capturing the terrain!
Agreed, @Jim Kenney works some magic with his photography skills! We've communicated before in regard to your interest in the Great Lakes and my experience sailing on them as a merchant seaman. Also in regard to the Kiva Koffeehouse down near Boulder and Escalante. Have done lots of mountain and road biking, as well as backpacking, climbing, and hiking in that area, having lived nearby for multiple periods of time. Props to you for learning to tele this season! It used to be a very popular form of skiing in the Wasatch, especially with the legions of local backcountry skiers but modern AT gear and participants aging out of any form of skiing have greatly reduced the freeheel ranks. Glad to hear you're stoked for next season, as many newcomers seem to throw in the towel when they discover the difficulties encountered in attempting to master the discipline.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed, @Jim Kenney works some magic with his photography skills! We've communicated before in regard to your interest in the Great Lakes and my experience sailing on them as a merchant seaman. Also in regard to the Kiva Koffeehouse down near Boulder and Escalante. Have done lots of mountain and road biking, as well as backpacking, climbing, and hiking in that area, having lived nearby for multiple periods of time. Props to you for learning to tele this season! It used to be a very popular form of skiing in the Wasatch, especially with the legions of local backcountry skiers but modern AT gear and participants aging out of any form of skiing have greatly reduced the freeheel ranks. Glad to hear you're stoked for next season, as many newcomers seem to throw in the towel when they discover the difficulties encountered in attempting to master the discipline.
I’m pretty tenacious. ogsmile I’ll probably never be really good at it, but it is really fun. I’ve also had a ton of people ask me about it on the hill, which has been fun, too!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I had no idea you were snapping photos, other than the one you took when we were about to ski Headwall Forest. I think I have your method figured out. You suggest I lead the way and, when I do, out comes the camera. I think that explains why I'd often be waiting for you at the bottom of a run: you gave me a big head start by assuming your role as stealth photographer

i’m glad my GoPro caught Jim taking pics on Great Scott last season
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/how-to-capture-steepness.24834/post-672766

Sponsor

Staff online