• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Some Mount Bachelor questions

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Since we're eying a mid-March ski week, Mount Bachelor has moved to the top of the list (we haven't been before). Our troupe is looking like two old skiing salts (myself and my usual ski-buddy cousin) and one never-ever (college buddy who can't pass on a week's leave from the "boss") -- we'll be 3 fifty-somethings on a no-wives, no-kids ski week.

I take it we shouldn't expect much variance in conditions early March to late March, scheduling-wise?

Main question is regarding my never-ever buddy. He's envisioning taking lessons in the morning, and giving his legs a break and knocking off in the afternoons. How is the base village(s?) at Bachelor? Is there more than one (varying themed?) bars spread out in the base areas? Or in the event he knocks off early, will he want to head to Bend (or if we stay in Seventh Mountain area, or Sunriver area, back there?) until the lifts close and the other two are ready for extraction?

Makes me think of another question (I'm sure I could get some hints if I poke around MB's website but...) -- how is the school at Mount Bachelor? Any cool clinics for never-evers?

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Bachelor is a fun place that I'm sure you and cousin would enjoy esp if you get a little sunshine during your visit as the Cascade/volcanic views are somewhat unique compared to many other ski destinations in the US. The opportunity to ski 360 degrees off the top of a dormant volcano is also very special.
It could be a bit awkward for your never-ever friend because the ski layout and the town of Bend (where most people stay and location of most lodging/restaurants/breweries) are about 20 miles apart (easy/flat miles). This is not too conducive for the never-ever to leave mid-day and then come back and pick you up for spending nights in Bend. Staying at lodging closer to the ski hill would be quite sleepy, but might solve the commute problem.

IIRC, there are a couple of base lodges where the never-ever could hang out in the afternoons. There is also a large mid-mtn lodge where he could hang out that is exceptionally scenic. It's called the Pine Marten Lodge.
Pine Marten Lodge:
1358819098_pic4.jpg

View from Pine Marten Lodge:
1358819231_pic7.jpg

I just looked at the trail map and it looks like there are green circle routes (cat tracks) from the Pine Marten Lodge back to both base lodges. If never-ever is ok with that, Pine Marten Lodge might be a great place to hang out in the afternoons. (Or maybe they would allow down-loading on the Pine Marten chairlift?)
Old report on Mt. Bachelor:

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
There are bars/restaurants at all 3 lodges. West Village, Pine Martin & Sunrise. The Eastside of Bachelor has a few beginner lifts and surface lifts. Early Riser,Rainbow and Sunrise chairs. Also a beginner lift at Pine Martin. A beginner can assess most of the mountain using the cat track traverses. IMO have your friend hang at the mt till you're done skiing. If I'm on the hill I'll buy him a beer.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Following. Bachelor trip planned for April. Never been there. Local tips welcome. @Jacques @Tom K. (???) @newfydog ... Who am I missing?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not local per se, but I can make arrangements to be one. I have 7 days on my Ikon pass and I'd love an excuse or two to make use of them. PM me when you have dates set.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Following. Bachelor trip planned for April. Never been there. Local tips welcome. @Jacques @Tom K. (???) @newfydog ... Who am I missing?

I'm not even close to an expert on MB, but as far as an enjoyable place for the newbie to hang out in the afternoon while the rest of you keep skiing, I'd probably go thumbs down. But driving back and forth twice to town would be even worse.

Lodging tip: For my money, it's hard to beat staying in Mt. Bachelor Village. Even better for 3 guys, depending on budget, would be a small house in The River Wild, which borders on MB Village. This puts you on the road to the ski hill with little or no "town" driving required.

Decent lodging at Widgi Creek, also, though that might put you further from town than you want. Downtown Bend is rife with brewpubs, and kind of a blast, if you aren't in a hurry.

EDIT: While not an MB expert, I do know Bend itself very well. For 11 years we spent a long week mountain biking there every spring and fall.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not even close to an expert on MB
Yeah, I was just trying to remember who the Mt. Bachelor locals are on the board. I thought maybe you were one but I guess not.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I was just trying to remember who the Mt. Bachelor locals are on the board. I thought maybe you were one but I guess not.

I'm blanking on his "handle" but there used to be a young-ish guy from MB on this site. Real name Scott. Worked at a Sunriver bike shop. Liked BMW cars.

@Tricia knows who I'm typing about.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm blanking on his "handle" but there used to be a young-ish guy from MB on this site. Real name Scott. Worked at a Sunriver bike shop. Liked BMW cars.

Oh yeah. I know all about dawgcatching. He's long gone from here.

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
In January 2019 I took my two millennial aged sons to Bend for a ski trip to Mt Bachelor. We stayed at a great AirBnB Near NW 12th and NW Galveston. It had three large BR and a nice kitchen. It was easy driving distance to downtown, and walking distance to several restaurants and also to the Bend Park and Ride (CET) station. We planned to take the bus to Mt Bachelor, but we were there during "Snopocalypse" when it snowed an inch an hour for over 60 hours straight. The bus was running very irregularly so we drove, but I would not expect that would be an issue in March. The shuttle bus could be your never-ever friends solution to having an early ski day. There was also a shuttle to Sun River, which may be too sedate and far from Bend to suit your tastes.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Avoid the end of March. Oregon(and California) have spring break the last week of March. If you go before that it will be empty, especially midweek. Good chance you friend will have a nearly private lesson.
You didn’t mention whether you were driving or flying. If flying, look into flying into Redmond as it will save you the drive from Portland.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I'm not even close to an expert on MB, but as far as an enjoyable place for the newbie to hang out in the afternoon while the rest of you keep skiing, I'd probably go thumbs down. But driving back and forth twice to town would be even worse.

Lodging tip: For my money, it's hard to beat staying in Mt. Bachelor Village. Even better for 3 guys, depending on budget, would be a small house in The River Wild, which borders on MB Village. This puts you on the road to the ski hill with little or no "town" driving required.

Decent lodging at Widgi Creek, also, though that might put you further from town than you want. Downtown Bend is rife with brewpubs, and kind of a blast, if you aren't in a hurry.

I was looking at these -- cutting the distance to the mountain -- is Widgi Creek the same as Seventh Mountain? If said Never-Ever wanted to head back for the afternoon versus kicking back at one of the bases, which area is more interesting, Mt. Bachelor Village, Widgi Creek (Seventh Mountain?), or Sunriver? I assume the lodging quality is about the same among the three?

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
It was easy driving distance to downtown, and walking distance to several restaurants and also to the Bend Park and Ride (CET) station.

It doesn't seem like the easy shuttle we're used to at the Colorado resorts. There's a fee, right? But you're right -- I was thinking the same thing (Never-Ever hopping a shuttle, etc.).

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Avoid the end of March. Oregon(and California) have spring break the last week of March. If you go before that it will be empty, especially midweek. Good chance you friend will have a nearly private lesson.
You didn’t mention whether you were driving or flying. If flying, look into flying into Redmond as it will save you the drive from Portland.

We're looking at a mid-week trip, Wed to Wed, either the 8th to the 15th or the 15th to the 22nd. Flying into Redmond from Philadelphia. The conventional wisdom seems to be, the later you go in March, the greater the chance the lift to the top will be open, but less chance of a powder day? Those two mid-March weeks, toss a coin or is one a better bet than the other?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Are you talking about Dawgcatching?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I was looking at these -- cutting the distance to the mountain -- is Widgi Creek the same as Seventh Mountain? If said Never-Ever wanted to head back for the afternoon versus kicking back at one of the bases, which area is more interesting, Mt. Bachelor Village, Widgi Creek (Seventh Mountain?), or Sunriver? I assume the lodging quality is about the same among the three?
Inn of the 7th has activities (Ice skating,bar/restaurant,ect.
and is closest to the mt. Widgi is next to the 7th.
Sunriver is the furthest but has a mall, grocery stores,ect.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Went to Bachelor in mid to late March of 2021, must have been over a foot of snow that week which was great but it did shutdown the Summit lift 50% of the time I was there. I stayed in Bend, drive up to the mountain was about as easy as it gets. I would stay in Bend if I went again, like having more options since the drive isn't bad.

Lift lines were minimal except for the Sunday I skied which still wasn't bad.

Sponsor

Staff online