• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Some Mount Bachelor questions

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
That was a follow up question. Where does one want to stay in Bend if you want to be within walking distance to the stuff you want to be in walking distance to?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was looking at these -- cutting the distance to the mountain -- is Widgi Creek the same as Seventh Mountain? If said Never-Ever wanted to head back for the afternoon versus kicking back at one of the bases, which area is more interesting, Mt. Bachelor Village, Widgi Creek (Seventh Mountain?), or Sunriver? I assume the lodging quality is about the same among the three?

None of those places are very interesting, IMO, but MBV is kind of on the edge of "town" so the drives are short.

As far as places to stay where you can walk to what you want to see and do, that's a tough one for me, so I'll defer to others.

Overall, I wouldn't call Bend particularly pedestrian friendly.

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
After some research, it appears that Sun River no longer offers a shuttle to Mt Bachelor, except once a day for employees. Yes, the Bend bus costs money. It's all a matter of preference, but my preference is to stay is town rather than at a resort, I don't mind taking shuttle buses, and traffic circles can be beautiful things. Bend is a great town for foodies and brewpub lovers. I have stayed at Sun River when the kids were teenagers, and Black Butte, and found them both to be too suburban and sedate for my tastes.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The drive up to the Mt. is mellow.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to stay at the Seventh Mountain Inn (using my Worldmark credits). A short drive to town, and maybe 20 minutes to Bachelor.

Pro tip: park at the Sunrise base rather than West village base. It’s usually a shorter walk from the car to the base, and also a quicker route to the top if the Summit lift is open, or to get to the Cloudchaser area. West Village is a bigger lot, and because the buses stop there and they have a drop-off area as well, the parking is further away, even if you get there early. West Village does allow quicker access to the Outback and NW terrain.

If you don’t need to stop either lodge first thing, park at the lot near the now-rebuilt Skyliner lift. Very close to the lift.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I tend to stay at the Seventh Mountain Inn (using my Worldmark credits). A short drive to town, and maybe 20 minutes to Bachelor.

Pro tip: park at the Sunrise base rather than West village base. It’s usually a shorter walk from the car to the base, and also a quicker route to the top if the Summit lift is open, or to get to the Cloudchaser area. West Village is a bigger lot, and because the buses stop there and they have a drop-off area as well, the parking is further away, even if you get there early. West Village does allow quicker access to the Outback and NW terrain.

If you don’t need to stop either lodge first thing, park at the lot near the now-rebuilt Skyliner lift. Very close to the lift.
I second the Sunrise base. So much more accessible and easier walk from the car.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Following. Bachelor trip planned for April. Never been there. Local tips welcome. @Jacques @Tom K. (???) @newfydog ... Who am I missing?
April is the time to go. All the lifts still open, summit usually open, frequent powder, crowds thinning out, warm in town. We have winter conditions much longer than most of the west. One year we closed late May with morning temps in the teens and 10 inches of powder. I only park at Skyliner and ski in ski out from the car.

Lodging in town vs on the way to the mountain …. No real advantage to being out of town unles you come down when the west side schools are getting out and hit the Mt Washington roundabout traffic jam. Mid week I go door to hill in 25 minutes. I then walk to town and drink all I want without having to drive home.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Ski in ski out from the car sounds like the setup. Especially if we want to switch skis or take a layer off.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Personally, I'm rooting for the never-ever to become hopelessly hooked on skiing and found on the first and last chairs of every day of your trip together.

Personally, that’s my hope! He’ll do lessons every morning (not “every other” as he thinks, lol) — I told him by mid-week he’ll be skiing some easy blues.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Oh yeah. I know all about dawgcatching. He's long gone from here.

Is dawgcatching still at the bike shop in Bend? I'd forgotten that, and he's given me much good which-skis-should-i-buy advice over the years. And sold me several pairs, too.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is dawgcatching still at the bike shop in Bend? I'd forgotten that, and he's given me much good which-skis-should-i=buy advice over the years. And sold me several pairs, too.
I don't know but my sense was that he had moved on to more of a dad life, so to speak.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
In January 2019 I took my two millennial aged sons to Bend for a ski trip to Mt Bachelor. We stayed at a great AirBnB Near NW 12th and NW Galveston.... It was easy driving distance to downtown...

I'm looking at this area on google. I'm still not clear on where "downtown" Bend is (River West? Old Mill District?). Are there some "key blocks" which are considered downtown Bend (with all the brew pubs, etc.)?

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm look at this area on google. I'm still not clear on where "downtown" Bend is (River West? Old Mill District?). Are there some "key blocks" which are considered downtown Bend (with all the brew pubs, etc.)?
There're brew pubs all over the place.
Downtown Bend is Wall & Bond streets.
Screenshot_20221114-160216_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20221114-160900_Maps.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online