• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Some nice short turns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Yeah that is how to do it and it is fun!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Let's be more specific. People who have posted find these to be admirable turns. What makes them admirable?

Careful... can we do this without getting posts deleted?

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I’m just on my phone so I will be brief, but I really like her ski performance. It looks like the ski is really working, tail following tip with no evidence of tail pushing which is often evident in such a short turn. You can see her balance is very strong and she is able to use the whole ski. Strong upper and lower body separation nice stance width. I do think her poles could be a touch shorter as they seem to be jarring her.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
They are admirable because she is using ILE (inside leg extension. Not to be confused with extension turns) as her initiation protocol. While not the most dynamic, ILE is the most effective if the skier's intent is an end to end carve IMO.

In ILE, the previous turn completes on the uphill edge of the old inside ski. The skier moves uphill and forward over this edge, releasing the downhill ski in the process while maintaining the old turn for a brief time. From there, the skier (now center balanced on the uphill edge of the old inside ski) can role to the new inside edge for a truly end to end carving experience. This is what Shiffrin's "Get over it" video is all about.

IMO, Initiation using Retraction protocol is a highly advanced and dynamic form of initiation and I would put it as a next step progression from ILE. ILE doesn't require "Toppling" (I hate that inference BTW) but instead requires the skier to balance in concert with the inside edge of the new outside ski in order to create a smooth and manageable generation of turning force.

Both are state of the art transition protocols and we should be using them not fighting over them.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
They are admirable because she is using ILE (inside leg extension. Not to be confused with extension turns) as her initiation protocol. While not the most dynamic, ILE is the most effective if the skier's intent is an end to end carve IMO....
In ILE, the previous turn completes on the uphill edge of the old inside ski. The skier moves uphill and forward over this edge, releasing the downhill ski in the process while maintaining the old turn for a brief time. From there, the skier (now center balanced on the uphill edge of the old inside ski) can role to the new inside edge for a truly end to end carving experience.....

The bolded statements above are all very different from my understanding of ILE, extension release/ extension initiation/extension turns, and arc-to-arc carving. Because my understanding has produced good results, I disagree with yours. Most problematic are the red parts.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
The bolded statements above are all very different from my understanding of ILE, extension release/ extension initiation/extension turns, and arc-to-arc carving. Because my understanding has produced good results, I disagree with yours. Most problematic are the red parts.

LF what is your understanding of ILE? please elaborate. Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry, but if someone want their videos to get critiques for Movement Analysis (MA), they will need to post the video themselves. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.