• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Source for current Covid travel restrictions

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The best source I've found for current Covid information for foreign countries is on the web site of the U.S. embassy in that country. For example Austria: https://at.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

I have trips planned to Canada and Austria in 2022. I'll be watching the sites. Canada is easy to get information. Other countries vary a lot, and several inside the EU have their own version of regulations. Do not expect consistency. Expect things to change as time goes on and this virus runs its course.

To carry and protect the vax card I use a pass holder, the 4" x 3" clear plastic holder for office passes, ID cards, etc. with a lanyard or pocket clip.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey folks I know this is important discussion to figure out about ski travel, but it will be locked if it is taken down a political back and forth rabbit hole.
(posts going that direction were deleted)

Lets keep it about information sources and how to figure out where to book a trip that is allowing travel.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Cheizz I think you are right. Each country is slightly different in its requirements so go to their website to be sure.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would love to do some European trips this winter but the regulations seem daunting flying from the USA. Most our flights require connecting flights to more than one country which doubles the regulations. One big problem in the USA is we have no way to get a Vaccine Passport. I just have that silly filled out card and can produce links to where I got the vaccines but that may not be acceptable. It is just a white card that can be forged so it is of no great help. So it is difficult to book air flights and hotels not knowing if you can really get in. You will not find out until until 72 hours before leaving. By then it is too late to cancel your prepaid reservations. I would be interested to hear anyone else's plan on how to go to Europe this winter.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would love to do some European trips this winter but the regulations seem daunting flying from the USA. Most our flights require connecting flights to more than one country which doubles the regulations. One big problem in the USA is we have no way to get a Vaccine Passport. I just have that silly filled out card and can produce links to where I got the vaccines but that may not be acceptable. It is just a white card that can be forged so it is of no great help. So it is difficult to book air flights and hotels not knowing if you can really get in. You will not find out until until 72 hours before leaving. By then it is too late to cancel your prepaid reservations. I would be interested to hear anyone else's plan on how to go to Europe this winter.
The card you got is ok in Europe.

If you're vaccinated you do be ok everywhere but Italy where you also need a test.

If you're vaccinated and you test 72 hours before, you're safe to go anywhere

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I would also be very concerned about local restrictions (states within states, municipalities, etc.). Many resorts did not open last season. I just cancelled a business trip to Germany this month due to all the uncertainties. A German colleague with a visa just did likewise to visit the U.S. IMHO, it might be worth holding off on travel plans to Europe. Booking last minute would be my choice, even if it meant spending more money. Snow is also a concern. Europe has had some very bad seasons of late.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
In Canada the provinces have some different rules etc. This news item has the best information as of now. Covid is a moving target so things can change quickly.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I would also be very concerned about local restrictions (states within states, municipalities, etc.). Many resorts did not open last season. I just cancelled a business trip to Germany this month due to all the uncertainties. A German colleague with a visa just did likewise to visit the U.S. IMHO, it might be worth holding off on travel plans to Europe. Booking last minute would be my choice, even if it meant spending more money. Snow is also a concern. Europe has had some very bad seasons of late.
In terms of snow, there's no such thing as 'Europe'. And to be honest, the last 'bad' snow year was winter 2015-2016 when in most of the Alps had no significant snowfall before mid-January. But like I said: within the Alps, there are 5 weather zones, and then there are the Pyrenees, there's Scandinavia, etc.

Anywhere between new year's and mid-March just about any resort in the Alps will be more than accommodated these days to make sure you can ski without getting bored. Chasing storms is something I wouldn't suggest from overseas anyway.

A bit off-topic, but I felt a bit of nuance was needed here.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid