• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Speaking of Volvos...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even the Turbo was a whopping 155hp. My father had a '85 with a few mods that was probably ~180hp. It was considered quick in the mid to late '80s.
IIRC, in the 7's 0-60.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Saab Turbo with Darth Vader wheels. Those early Saab turbos had a distinctive burbling sound. Huge lag though.
I guess they’re called Inca wheels-

View attachment 135161

Inca monumentalism as interpreted by northern Euro sensibilities gets really odd. Did you ever see the Netflix doc on Stanislaw Szukalski? If SS had done a commercial car...^that would have been it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
245 is the old RWD one, right? I have driven one in the snow - obviously not lifted with serious tires - and it was truly one of the worst handling snow cars I've been in.

Seriously?

A friend's parents had one, and it was one of the most fun cars I ever drove for broadsliding around corners in the snow. Almost like an Outlaws sprint car. Sideways FTW!

Maybe because I was a teenage boy, living in snowy northern MN, where the hills might be short, but at least they were infrequent?!

And may I emphasize, HUGELY uncrowded roads.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My father‘s 240 Turbo was our first family ski car. He upgraded the rear diff to “ posi” and put good snow tires on it and we never had a problem. I still prefer the driving dynamics of RWD to FWD in the snow. It might be easier to get going with FWD but I’ll take oversteer vs understeer

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
240 series + 5 door = 245. I have driven these and other RWD Volvos and IMHO opinion their Scandinavian heritage comes out when they have 4 winter tires on them, I found that they are some of the better RWDs of the era.
My motorhead friend had a Volvo 240 back in the day and with 4 snow tires, sandbags in the trunk, that thing was a tank and easily the best RWD in snow around, and at a time when there were not that many 4WD or AWD on the road.

Reactions: Ogg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My father‘s 240 Turbo was our first family ski car. He upgraded the rear diff to “ posi” and put good snow tires on it and we never had a problem. I still prefer the driving dynamics of RWD to FWD in the snow. It might be easier to get going with FWD but I’ll take oversteer vs understeer
Agreed but they go for the lowest common denominator and FWD is "safer" in their minds..

Reactions: Ogg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Do OPP collect vehicle type data?

We already know Ont. has the most rotators per capita on the planet, so...
I did some vehicle accident data work in university and I would say they're pretty thorough. Not sure they'll share but likely pretty complete.

I'm not sure if all the straight roads help or hinder the spin-o-rama problems..

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Coming soon to a trail near you...

71D61B87-A3F2-476D-B7AF-6CF74C8D7BB8.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online