• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Specialized Levo vs Levo SL demo

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
FD7DE28E-8B46-4B66-992D-352A4ECE98F4.png

Top of Worcester Ridge facing East toward the White Mountains. Levo SL in the foreground.
5FB4862A-05F1-48D5-9158-579BEF745411.jpeg

I did a private eBike demo yesterday. Specialized brought their demo fleet to a local private trail network that I had never ridden before. We were hoping to try everything and then I was going to ride home on a Creo Evo but that did not happen . They didn’t have the Kenevo or the Kenevo SL (which might have been the ideal bike for where we were). They did have the Levo (full power) and the Levo SL and we rode both of those. I was trying to be more scientific with timing and videos and stuff, but I wrecked on the 2nd run and had to get patched up so the review is going to be a little shorter.

The first bike we rode was the Levo SL. I say we because our whole group decided to ride the same bike instead of mixing. Luckily we were able to ride the M, L and XL. I was on the XL, which I think was a bit bigger than I'd have chosen, but it was OK. The Levo SL is less powerful but it is the lightest bike Specialized has in the E mountain segment. Certainly one of the lightest E bikes you can buy. At 36 lbs for the S-Works version it weighs less than the Specialized Status MTB does. OK, you could buy enough State for a large family, with the money for one S-Works Levo SL, but it is light - for an e-bike. This was a bike that would have been delivered last fall and was not the most top of the line model. It had a FOX 34 Performance shock for example vs. the 36 Factory speced on the current year Levo SL S-Works.

The place we were riding is kind of built as an enduro shuttle place. Normally the owners shuttle bikes up on a four wheeler and they ride heavy Enduro and DH bikes there. I don't know percent grade of the road, but it was pretty steep and kind of a loose gravel. Not that great for climbing. Very glad to be motoring up that. I chose to use the MTB mode for the motor. There is also Eco and Turbo. The others rode Turbo. I was able to keep up without killing myself, but definitely had to work harder to keep with them. At the very top of the road I wanted to find the top of the ridge and see if there was a view. I found a narrow tight singletrack uphill that I know I could not have ridden on my Evil and with a little effort and a lot of help from the Brose motor I made it to the view spot seen above. What's interesting about a climb like this on the Levo SL is that it isn't the power of the motor alone that lets you get up there. It's that with some light pedaling and the pedal assist combined you can have really smooth power delivery that lets you climb difficult terrain without breaking traction. With the Levo SL I did not get any spooky moments despite being on unknown trails that I was not really comfortable with. I had really hoped to time segments here and see how the two bikes compared, but like I said, that didn't really happen. I liked this bike on the downhills, but felt like I was a bit underpinned for it.

I was a bit skeptical about riding such gnarly trails on this bike and was taking it kind of cautious at first. I left the motor on MTB mode for the downhill too. I wanted to see how much support it would give me on the downhill and would it do anything scary while riding down. I have experienced some spooky moments on STEPS and Bosch powered bikes where I did a little ratchet pedal and got a strong dose of motor support that was not really wanted.

Second bike was a 2nd Gen Levo. Specialized is now into a 3rd Gen bike that is pretty well updated from the one I rode from geometry to the motor to the software, but the concept and mission is the same. The Levo is what they call "full power". I think it kind of defines what we think an e-bike is. The bike I was on had a 500Wh battery and aluminum frame. More recent ones have a 700Wh battery, and of course you can choose between carbon and aluminum frames. This bike had lower spec parts than the SL. Level brakes for example and a Rock Shox fork that I'm not really sure what it was. Maybe a non-series or OEM unit. Honestly, this stuff would be fine for most riders, maybe more than they need, but yesterday, I would have preferred something a little more advanced.

What we really wanted to test though was the motor and all that goes with it. Again, while the rest of the crew ran Turbo I decided to stay in MTB and see how much stronger the support is than the SL. I really soft-pedaled and also tried to challenge the motor sometimes with choosing way too high gears. The Levo was soooo much faster than the SL. It honestly felt like we cut our climb time in half with significantly less effort. We didn't climb to the very top, but just to the top of the road and into the DH trails, The second I started to go downhill I felt the difference between the bikes. The Levo is so much heavier. Close to 50 lbs and you felt it instantly when cornering and especially when stopping. I think I also felt the difference in the ability of the suspension to control all of that. We took different trail than the first time which had some sharp quick climbs that I don't think I'd have made without the motor support. Certainly not on the first go. After a while I got used to the mass and then I decided that the bike was responding better to going faster. That's pretty much when I ate it on a drop. Not really sure what I landed on, but my arm was instantly covered in blood running like a river. My glove filled up and it was dipping out of the fingertips and running over the cuff. So at that point I just rode right down to the truck and called it a day..

So here's couple of things about the bikes. One the Sl my "support" rate was 86%. So what that means is that whatever wattage I supplied was augmented by 86%. So if I was producing 100 watts, then on average the bike was adding 86 watts on top of that. One the Levo my support level was 220%. We rode a little higher on the first ride (about 700 vert feet vs 600), but on both bikes somehow I used 60Wh of battery. The Levo SL had a 320 Wh battery, vs. 500 on the Levo (700 on current models though) so you can see how range would be far different between the two bikes. As for motors, it's pretty interesting. The Levo has a 250W motor while the SL is rated at 240W. That's what I think they call nominal output which means it could sustain that 240w or 250W output until the battery is drained. Peak power and peak torque is far different between the two though I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but I think peak tour on the SL is 30 (Newton-m? I forget what units they use) vs. 90 for the Levo. Huge difference.

Who are these bikes for? That's the real question. I kind of felt like the SL is for a person that wants to blend in with mountain bikers and ride with mountain bikers. You just want some help to be able to do what you used to be able to do. I think the Levo is for people that want to be Ebikers. I don't think you'd really want to ride with mountain bikers. You'd be spending too much time waiting. If you want to turn uphills into downhills, you want the Levo. Like the STEPS bike that I tried, the Levo reverses gravity. You can be doubling jumps when going uphill.

I think that you need to know who you are going to be riding with, if your friends already have full power eMTBs, I think a bike like the SL would be a mistake.

Specialized has two more eBikes that might have been more appropriate for where we were. They have the Kenevo (Levo Kenevo, get it? Give the guy that thought of that a raise) and the Kenevo SL. Kenevo is almost a battery powered DH bike. Full power motor, dual crown fork, lots of mass and huge brakes. Maybe this would be the perfect bike for where we wee riding. The Kenevo SL is much lighter, only 41 lbs, but the tradeoff is the smaller motor and the reduced battery capacity. It has a 170mm travel Fox 38 and a DPX rear shock. It looks to me like the perfect bike for where we were riding. I'm sure it would have been easier to pull up on drops, slow it down and change direction. Easier to take to the air and clear obstacles you don't want to smash through.

Oh and yeah I'd really like to try the Creo Evo.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I guess so. I deleted my Strava because it's private, so all I have is the one screenshot. It wasn't that helpful anyway because there are no segments there. I had hoped to compare speeds on segments with the different bikes. I did sync my phone to the bikes via the mission control app so I have some data from there.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hope you (& the bike ogwink) are okay

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Hope you (& the bike ogwink) are okay

I think we were about even. I'm gonna need a few weeks of healing. It's gonna need a new saddle and, well, I didn't triage it any deeper than that.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heal quickly and perfectly!

My take on these and similar e-bikes:

1. The full power versions are for "me", at 195 pounds -- can't quite seem to let that last piece of pizza go, now that racing is in the rearview mirror.

2. The light power versions are for my 120 pound, 5'2" wife, who loves her e-mtb, but wouldn't mind 10 pounds less weight to horse around, and never ever uses full power.

FWIW, I took a hard look at this rocket ship, but decided to stick with pure pedal power for a few more years (delivery in September):

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I was checking out that E-Caliber yesterday. It’s a nice idea, but as Master Yoda says “do or do not”. The motor and battery are so tiny it seems like a huge increase in cost for basically no benefit.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was checking out that E-Caliber yesterday. It’s a nice idea, but as Master Yoda says “do or do not”. The motor and battery are so tiny it seems like a huge increase in cost for basically no benefit.

I must be missing something here. The Levo SL's max power specs are 240 watts and 35 Nm , while the E-Caliber comes in at 450 watts and 55 Nm.

Although the Levo SL does have a slightly larger battery at 320 Wh vs. E-Caliber's 252 Wh.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Where did you find torque and power for the ECaliber. I looked all over and couldn't find it. I was just seeing the tiny battery. The Levo SL at least has the range extender batteries that you can add battery capacity with. Anyway, I guess that Trek is better than I thought, but I still don't get it. Once you have added all of that stuff, why take away suspension travel and all of that? Does pedaling efficiency really matter on an Ebike? I guess there is a rider for all of these bikes. I'm not sure I'm the rider for any of them. Just trying to understand them better.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We first saw the Fazua assist back in 2018 when Interbike was in Reno. I was pretty impressed by it then and am waiting for the upcoming real world review coming soon in someone's new e-caliber. From the start, I have been excited about the smaller/lighter assist options. For the mist part, none of our rides are over 20 miles so this is a great way to go for us..and many.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Range anxiety is a thing and sometimes it seems irrational, like who really rides that much anyway, but watching the battery gauge drop does make you wonder. During my demo I only rode 7km with 1400 feet of climbing and used 126 Wh of energy. To get twenty miles I’d have needed the Levo’s full 700 Wh battery pack. I didn’t have the bikes in heavy assist mode. I’m sure if I was riding in Florida that battery would last a long time, but I think you could run to the end of your extension cord pretty fast living in VT (or Reno). One other thing is what does the bike feel like if the battery is gone. Bosch system feels like the pedals are in mush, the Brose setup feels normal you are just riding a really heavy bike.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One other thing is what does the bike feel like if the battery is gone. Bosch system feels like the pedals are in mush.
W/ no battery assist, it is like riding a beach cruiser with under inflated tires. Not fun. I ran out of batter once (while testing the limits of the range) fortunately the rest of the ride home was all down hill. From what I have read, the E-caliber without the battery is as close to a acoustic bike as there is.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
It must be since you can actually remove the motor and battery.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where did you find torque and power for the ECaliber. I looked all over and couldn't find it. I was just seeing the tiny battery.

Here is a good, long E-Caliber review:

TLDR Excerpts:

"Alongside the FAZUA motor, the Trek is also equipped with the new FAZUA Remote bX and the updated 250X battery with a 252 Wh capacity."

".....the motor gives everything it has and increases its output to the maximum 55 Nm torque quickly."

I'm with you on the power/range thing for most guys. The flip is that my light weight wife can go for a 40-mile, 4,000 foot road ride on her lightly-powered Orbea Gain, and she barely dents the battery on 3-hour mtb rides on her full-powered Liv Intrigue E+.

You were dead on when you said there is a rider for all these bikes (try finding one) and sometimes it's hard to "see" the bike through a different rider's eyes.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
All I've sold are the regular Levos. I had one customer for an SL but they were out of stock. He drove from NJ to MD to test ride and buy one. He now regrets not getting the regular Levo. So anybody looking for a barely used Levo SL Expert in Xl, I know a guy. $11k bike. Pros Closet offered him $7k.

As for riding with regular MTBers, the power is very adjustable in these with the App. You can easily ride in Eco mode and make it feel like a normal, but heavy, bike.

I've been riding the 22 Pro lately. Lotsa fun. Mullet setup seams to work well.

IMG_0090.jpg

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
What bars do you have on that? Looks like a lot of sweep, or is that a camera angle thing?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think we were about even. I'm gonna need a few weeks of healing. It's gonna need a new saddle and, well, I didn't triage it any deeper than that.
That description conjures up some interesting images of what may have happened.
biking crash.gif