• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Specialized Levo vs Levo SL demo

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. 20 degrees. Answer Protaper 20/20 bar. I got hooked on Alt bars with the first Jones H-bar on my SS.

Details, please, in the form of how these bars affect reach. I took a spin on another brand with more sweep, but they brought my hands back further than I prefer.

My wonky left hand/wrist really wants more sweep. These days, I find myself riding around half the time with that hand wrapped loosely around the end of the bar.

Bring back bar ends!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Details, please, in the form of how these bars affect reach. I took a spin on another brand with more sweep, but they brought my hands back further than I prefer.

My wonky left hand/wrist really wants more sweep. These days, I find myself riding around half the time with that hand wrapped loosely around the end of the bar.

Bring back bar ends!

Here's two crappy pictures. The way the bars are designed they don't affect reach, just the angle since they go forward before they sweep back. They do make it really hard to mount a Garmin in front of your stem and keep it straight. OCD heads would explode.

C866726E-BF56-493D-BB92-A18B480B2F1A.jpeg
298F3CCE-CA29-4B35-B1E2-F444EF37EEC9.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I think we were about even. I'm gonna need a few weeks of healing. It's gonna need a new saddle and, well, I didn't triage it any deeper than that.

:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
A co-worker and I took Levo Comps out for a rip this morning on the local trails before they could get busy. We were very interested to see what they would feel like on "normal" trails rather than in a semi-bike-park environment. The Levo Comp is a full power model and newer than the Levo I rode before. It has a Shimano SLX group and an alloy frame. It's honestly a pretty nice machine for $7500. We started with a quick and easy climb up the main climb a gentle machine built trail. (I really wanted to Strava the ride "for science" but didn't want to pollute my PRs and stuff with eBike PR's I could never get rid of. Even thought of creating burner account) I kept mine in the middle power setting and pushed a few times for speed and sometimes rode it at a more mellow pace just trying to feel what different people's experiences could be like. You could definitely ride up with basically no effort. Or you step on the pedals and you are riding the uphill as if it was a downhill. One difference on the uphills though... on a downhill you are not pedaling, but when pedaling up around a corner it can feel as if the power from the rear wheel is trying to drive you up and over the berm. It is an interesting feeling, and kind of reminds me of how a cars differential could cause the car to push. Maybe that's not right, but that was the thought I had when I felt it.

Anyway, at the top of the first hill, we both sort of thought this isn't mountain biking. It's just so easy. Next we rode it down a flow trail. I really liked it here. My co-worker on the other hand felt a bit overwhelmed by the mass of the bike. I felt like it was important that you accept all of that mass and make sure it is going the right direction when you take off and so on.

The next climb was a little more technical with roots, etc., and much tighter switchbacks. Again, very easy climbing of course, with a challenge being that feeling of the rear wheel driving me off the trail on switchbacks. On the first one I very nearly wheelied and looped out.

Then we rode a more technical up and down loop where we could feel how the power helped in low traction situations. Once again Mar felt like the mass of the bike was making this trail hard for her.

I tried the final climb and the last downhill of the ride in ECO mode to try and feel a bit more like I was on a normal bike. It's still pretty easy even on ECO mode.

It's been interesting putting people on our demo bikes. First of all, seen the huge smile when they first ride it. But what often comes next is "this is fun, but not until I'm XX years old". Everyone has a different number, but a lot of people have a number. I wonder if this is because we are New Englanders. It seems like everyone needs to self-flagellate and do some suffering on their bike rides.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if this is because we are New Englanders. It seems like everyone needs to self-flagellate and do some suffering on their bike rides.
I thought that's what a bike ride WAS. Not snarking.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
we both sort of thought this isn't mountain biking. It's just so easy.
this goes back to the first time I tried a powder ski or even a shaped ski. "This isn't skiing, It's just so easy".

There is an EMTB setting on Strava you use so it won't mess with your regular times. I have never felt the power (in Eco or Tour) feel like it is pushing me through a turn but I am also one of the first to say, that the Turbo is borderline scary on the trail, the only time I use it is on the road if I just want to get some where. I would say I am 70/30 Eco/Tour in my trail riding. As far as the New England mentality, I think some does have to do with the terrain, here trails are much higher and I think I read "root" more in your post than I have crossed roots all season here. Additionally, the average age of the eMTB'er on our area is 40-45+/- 10 years. Most of the crumudgeon riders are not only still on regular MTB's but hardtails...so I don't see it as being an age thing here...but we are not in New England either. Regarding the suffering, I don't think everyone needs to, if you choose to, go right ahead.