• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Speeding skier charged with manslaughter

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

A 5-year-old British girl was killed during a skiing lesson in the French alps when another skier slammed into her “at high speed,” according to officials who charged the man with manslaughter.

The girl, only identified as Ophélie, was with four other children getting a lesson on the supposed safety of a beginners’ slope in Flaine on Saturday morning, local prosecutor Karline Bouisset told Sky News.

As she went to turn, the youngster “was very violently hit by the skier arriving at high speed who tried in vain to avoid her,” Bouisset said.

The speeding skier, a 40-year-old local volunteer firefighter, immediately tried to give her first aid, the UK broadcaster said.

However, the youngster never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead on her way to a local hospital, the outlet said.

The skier was taken into custody Monday and charged with manslaughter, according to Agence France-Presse, which said prosecutors were blaming excessive speed for the death.

He faces up to five years in prison and an $85,000 fine if convicted, Sky said.

Jean-Paul Constant, the Mayor of nearby Arâches, also told the broadcaster that they were “actively looking for a psychologist who speaks English for the family” of the girl.

“They are suffering from extreme shock, as are many others involved in this tragedy,” the mayor said.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I was going to comment harshly on this, since I am father of a 7 y.o. now and have been father of 2 other kids of that age in the past, and cannot forget the near miss occurences that we have had. My heart goes out to the parents of the little angel, might her innocent soul rest in peace.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the NSAA Campaign
Signs located at various resorts in NA
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 7.44.42 AM.png

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
What angers me, @Tricia, is this passage in the scarce news that we an get on this (around FB there are also floating all sort or rumors about him but those are just , so far, unconfirmed rumors) :
""The child was in a single file behind the group and was about to make a right turn when she was very violently hit by the skier arriving at high speed, who tried in vain to avoid her."

Putting it into relation to the opening of the news : "The child had been taking a skiing lesson on a blue beginners' slope..."

The guy had no reason whatsoever to go at "high speed" in such a place, or at least, so near to a ski school class of children.
I know I appear judgemental, and I pray that such a thing will never, ever, ever, happen to me, be me the father or the skier, but, still, I mean , what was he thinking?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its like driving your SUV into the crowded bus stop. I cant fathom why you would do that

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The guy had no reason whatsoever to go at "high speed" in such a place, or at least, so near to a ski school class of children... I know I appear judgemental,
I don't think that's particularly judgemental (if by that you mean harsh in some fashion). In fact, that's why this has become a manslaughter charge - because going that fast and/or that close to others was likely unwarranted.

Its like driving your SUV into the crowded bus stop. I cant fathom why you would do that
I think stating it that way could be read as the collision being intentional, which I don't think there's any evidence of, though we have very little detail... To my thinking/best guess, it would have been caused by skiing irresponsibly/too fast and getting out of control. Which would be like driving too fast, and therefore losing control, and resulting in driving into a bus stop.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier

Or, it's like enjoying the speed you gathered up above, and a moment or two of inattention. We should save our speed for a trail that can handle it, period.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The guy had no reason whatsoever to go at "high speed" in such a place, or at least, so near to a ski school class of children.
I know I appear judgemental, and I pray that such a thing will never, ever, ever, happen to me, be me the father or the skier, but, still, I mean , what was he thinking?

This.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or, it's like enjoying the speed you gathered up above, and a moment or two of inattention. We should save our speed for a trail that can handle it, period.

That's why when I see a forum member talking about the thrill of high speed on a high performance ski without the prerequisite skill. I'll usually chime in and suggest some sort of skill improvement rather than going out and buying an even higher performance ski.

I have no issues seeing an out of control skier buying it with a tree. It's the collateral damage I dislike.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's why when I see a forum member talking about the thrill of high speed on a high performance ski without the prerequisite skill. I'll usually chime in and suggest some sort of skill improvement rather than going out and buying an even higher performance ski.

I have no issues seeing an out of control skier buying it with a tree. It's the collateral damage I dislike.

THIS.....

This is a sensitive subject for me. I still have PTSD from being violently taken out on east falls at Killington 4 years ago. I'll never forget hearing him shout watch out from behind me before he mowed me down. He took off too so never even saw him afterwards. I'll be forever grateful I wasn't physically hurt.

I see so many people FLYING at the mountains. I used to be self conscious about not being speedy but my supervisor at Magic often says speed alone doesn't equal skill and speed can also cover up poor technique.

Whenever I hear of this stuff happening my heart breaks. This one is an especially tough one since it happened on the bunny hill... why, why, why

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Family Ski Zones should be setup and patrolled/enforced.
The problem I see with the "when there is no kids around" is there might be no kids around, until suddenly there is 1 kid around.

That is true. But where I ski, kids ski schools start working at around 9.30/10 a.m.
Means you only have 1 hour-3 runs/ 4 at most when there is no one out there, then it is either FO to other runs or ski at a speed that will allow you to stop in 2 meters distance.

From 8.30 to around 9.15 there is only a handful of likeminded skiers on the slopes and they do know how to protect each other.

Sponsor

Staff online