• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sprained ankle during weird fall in powder this AM

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Has anyone ever sprained their ankle during a fall while skiing? It happened to me this AM. I was on the wrong skis for the conditions and I'm kicking myself in the ass b/c this is a a rare NE powder day. Anyway, took a weird fall and felt the sprain as it occurred. Can walk with some degree of gingerness, while being careful. Way too painful to ski on. How long does a sprain normally take to heal? This sucks!

Bill

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Im not sure if there is a doctor definition of sprained ankle, but Ive tweaked some tendons in my lower ankle/upper foot when skiing. Couple times, usually involving a single ski tip ‘caught’ in crud/pow and my body mass traveling another direction. I usually bounce back after a couple days. Ice helped me. Don’t rush it, let it heal so it doesnt linger.

I broke my foot in a ski boot, that REALLY sucked. Knocked me out for that season and the next.

-Chris

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mine was technically a sprain - nice high grade one that involved tearing all sorts of soft tissue and requiring surgery. I posted this pic and was told by an ER ski diva to get myself to the doctor at once!
068B2BBE-4129-4FB4-9CF1-D84FF05F37E5.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every person is different. but i do suggest you look for detailed sprain recovery protocol for your specific sprain on web and follow it.

Especially when you move into the rebuild and PT and exercise phase, recovery time there may depend on your effort and care.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks, everyone. I'm starting out with just rest for today and tomorrow. Ibuprofen and elevation today. I hope it starts feeling better within the next few days. Thankfully, my ankle doesn't look like Jenny's, so I'm not overly concerned. Just some very minor bruising. But I'm bummed out that I missing out on a first big storm cycle of the year.

Bill

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
You should definitely be icing it as well. Sprains are obviously less common in skiing than some other sports since the ski boot provides a lot of support to the ankle area. The few times I have done it it felt like kind of a “pull sprain” (I doubt that is an actual medical term) where the tail of my ski caught on the snow when I was sliding after a fall). If you can walk on it now I would bet you can ski on it in a few days—thought not without some pain. Good luck.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
R.I.C.E.
Rest, ice, compression, elevation.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^ This and a couple, er, many vodka tonics.

With a NE storm cycle bringing more on Friday and a name like captain furious, I don’t think you’ll be down long !

Edit : might of left it in the boot so you’d be ready to get back after it !
So RICE is Rest, IBU, Cocktails, Enthusiasm?

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks, everybody! I ended up sitting on the couch, working, while my 16yo and his best friend poached pow lines all day. I'm very jealous! I'm sure there is a lesson here somewhere... if I look hard enough... :)

bill

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The most difficult part will be getting back in the ski boot, even after it feels better.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks, everybody! I ended up sitting on the couch, working, while my 16yo and his best friend poached pow lines all day. I'm very jealous! I'm sure there is a lesson here somewhere... if I look hard enough... :)

Nah. Sometimes things just suck. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I feel your pain - but somehow the pain is in my lower back and not my ankle. Either way it sucks to be sitting around inside while others are endangering their lives and having fun.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure there is a lesson here somewhere... if I look hard enough

I had a friend who sprained his ankle skiing STH at Snowbird during the 2014 gathering. He attributed the injury to the boots not fitting well enough.

Check the fit of your boots. Especially around the ankles. A binding check would be a good idea also.
A properly fitted boot should eliminate most movements within the boot that will result in an ankle sprain.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He attributed the injury to the boots not fitting well enough.
My wife suffered a broken tib/fib probably partially due to ill-fitting boots. The tibia sustained a rotational fracture just above the ankle.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife suffered a broken tib/fib probably partially due to ill-fitting boots. The tibia sustained a rotational fracture just above the ankle.

:geek: :geek: :geek: