• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sprained ankle during weird fall in powder this AM

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I NEVER drink before or during skiing. To me, that's the dumbest thing you could do. Even a slight effect on reaction time and small muscle control could be disastrous. As far as drinking during recovery, I've had a single whiskey and coke since the day of the accident. I usually only have 1-2 drinks per week. But since you mention the possible deleterious effects of alcohol on recovery, I'm going to cut that back to zero drinks. I can't afford to take any chances with my recovery success. Right now I'm looking out my window and watching the snow come down, wondering what if...

Bill

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I sprained mine pretty bad a few years ago when I stuffed a ski tip right into the base of a gate. It was a few weeks of 3-5 Advil ~30 mins before booting up to keep skiing. :) Oh, and the boot cuff bruise was nasty.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Update... Looks like things are healing nicely. It's still pretty sore but I'm slowly getting ROM back. No where near the point where I can contemplate skiing yet. 100% weight bearing but I walk cautiously, like an old man. Every day there is a small bit of improvement. Hoping things are markedly better by Sunday. My hope is to be skiing NLT next weekend, which is the end of school break (and probably the end of this storm cycle). :(

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
I NEVER drink before or during skiing. To me, that's the dumbest thing you could do. Even a slight effect on reaction time and small muscle control could be disastrous. As far as drinking during recovery, I've had a single whiskey and coke since the day of the accident. I usually only have 1-2 drinks per week. But since you mention the possible deleterious effects of alcohol on recovery, I'm going to cut that back to zero drinks. I can't afford to take any chances with my recovery success. Right now I'm looking out my window and watching the snow come down, wondering what if...

Bill
Sweet! I hope you’re back out there enjoying yourself asap!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Every person is different. but i do suggest you look for detailed sprain recovery protocol for your specific sprain on web and follow it.

Especially when you move into the rebuild and PT and exercise phase, recovery time there may depend on your effort and care.

I would add.... go see a PT who has completed their fellowship. Get an assessment done. Maybe you see them 3 - 4 times. Maybe it costs you $500. What is $500 compared to having the best possible information, and knowing that your repair is robust?

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I'm seeing a PT. It's helped to some degree. Today, however, I saw Tom Gellie this evening for a 30 minute Zoom PT session. That guy is AMAZING!!! WOW!!! The exercises he gave me immediately started addressing the pain and mobility issues. By the end of the session, my ankle was really starting to feel better. I'd recommend that anyone with an injury see Tom when rehabbing. I'm VERY impressed.

Bill

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
BTW, his ski videos are incredible. Totally helped me understand and FINALLY get the concepts of carving. I've spent the last 8+ years getting lessons and trying to figure out how to carve. It wasn't until I watched Tom's carving lessons that I finally understood what "get your weight on your outside ski" meant. Anyway, as amazing an instructor as this guy is, I think he's equally good, if not better, in diagnosing issues in stance, injury, etc. and then coming up with solutions. I was blown away by how he was able to view my feet and legs, watch me walk, ask me a few questions and immediately diagnose the issue. He then provided me with a few exercises that once performed, made the pain I was experiencing doing some diagnostic tests disappear.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Glad to hear your recovery is progressing and that you are taking it seriously. My ankle sprain, many years ago, kept me on crutches for a few weeks. No aftereffects, thank goodness.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I skied for the first time today. I made it 4 runs before calling it a day. Ankle was very sore. What's interesting isn't that my ankle was sore, it's WHY my ankle was sore. I carved pretty hard starting on the 2nd run. 3rd run I hit the moguls to test things out. So far, so good. My 4th run was off the triple chair. This chair has no foot rest. Even worse, the lifties were getting switched out so it was constantly stopping. What should have been a 7 minute ride took 15. And all gravity is what did me in. My ankle was really bothering me after finally getting off the lift. Decided not to push it any harder and called it a day. But it felt really good to finally get out there after 2 weeks to get on a pair of skis. I think I will be ready to hit it hard on Thursday or Friday. The extra couple of days should really help.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm seeing a PT. It's helped to some degree. Today, however, I saw Tom Gellie this evening for a 30 minute Zoom PT session. That guy is AMAZING!!! WOW!!! The exercises he gave me immediately started addressing the pain and mobility issues. By the end of the session, my ankle was really starting to feel better. I'd recommend that anyone with an injury see Tom when rehabbing. I'm VERY impressed.

Bill

One of the things to consider... what you are experiencing is a game of cell division. This will take time.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Marty,

What do you mean by cell division? Like cell replication for healing the tears? FYI, I tried skiing today but the conditions were miserable (3" of hail, snow, sleet and freezing rain), so after 2 runs I decided not to risk the possibility of re-injury and called it a day. I'm going to hope for better conditions tomorrow and will try again. I was on my Stockli SR88, which I really haven't had a fair opportunity to ski yet this year. But realize now that the conditions were better suited to my 2018 SR 95s.

Bill

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Marty,

What do you mean by cell division? Like cell replication for healing the tears? FYI, I tried skiing today but the conditions were miserable (3" of hail, snow, sleet and freezing rain), so after 2 runs I decided not to risk the possibility of re-injury and called it a day. I'm going to hope for better conditions tomorrow and will try again. I was on my Stöckli SR88, which I really haven't had a fair opportunity to ski yet this year. But realize now that the conditions were better suited to my 2018 SR 95s.

Bill

Exactly. There is a time in any injury recovery, where the subject feels fine, but the repair is not robust enough for full, dynamic loads (I'm at that point with my torn quad tendon - I feel like I could ski. However if I shred the tendon I am really screwed). Be careful out there.

Suggestion: I had a private guest ski instruction client with a broken wrist. I emphasized to them that this is the year that they really work to become a better skier. We just stayed on easy greens, doing drills to rewire movement patterns. Maybe book a few half-day privates over the rest of the season and get in that mindset? Think of it as an investment in your abilities for later this season / next season?

Definitely ping your PT and ask about skiing, if you haven't already.

Best to you.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Second the time spent at shallower terrain to work on skiing sensations that contribute to efficiency.

Sponsor

Staff online