• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sprained ankle during weird fall in powder this AM

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks, everybody! I ended up sitting on the couch, working, while my 16yo and his best friend poached pow lines all day. I'm very jealous! I'm sure there is a lesson here somewhere... if I look hard enough... :)

bill

Yeah, you need more skis.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Exactly! On a more serious note, I immediately scheduled a PT appointment for Friday AM, which is the first available date. It hurts like hell but I'm hopeful that with PT, I can be back in the saddle and skiing within the next 2 weeks or so. February school break is coming up and it would SUCK to be laid up with an injury.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I had a friend who sprained his ankle skiing STH at Snowbird during the 2014 gathering. He attributed the injury to the boots not fitting well enough.

Check the fit of your boots. Especially around the ankles. A binding check would be a good idea also.
A properly fitted boot should eliminate most movements within the boot that will result in an ankle sprain.

Definitely not a boot fit issue. It was a low speed fall and twist, my left ski got caught and turned to the left, throwing me back on my left ski while it continued to twist. Momentum slammed me onto my front side but the damage was done. Glad it wasn't a break. I'm in a Head Raptor 130RS with Zip Fits that I've been skiing for a few years. No fit issue on my end as these things are super snug/tight. But the din on my bindings might be a bit high so I'll need to have them checked. That's a good idea.

James

Out There
Instructor
I tweaked my knee last Saturday, basically doing nothing. I came around a bump in the woods coming to a stop. Barely moving, totally on the inside ski, outside ski out to the side a bit in the air, and I feel something happen. A minor pop. I had to ski out about a half hour, favoring it.
I had it checked out, doesn’t seem to be much. Didn’t really swell up at all, nor get stiff. Minor pain. Nevertheless, it was something. I’ve had three knee operations, don’t want another.

I will miss this current storm, the perfect place to try out my Dps 99’s with Shift. Had them almost two years, haven’t skied for a variety of reasons. They need a remount, didn’t want to do two, is one reason. just mounted last weekThe bindings cost 5/6ths of the slightly used skis.
Now I’ll need skins, shovel, probe, beacon. We’ll start with skins for resort skinning.
Maybe I’ll get my AT boots I got on here last summer fitted. That’s a project. Then go look at full touring boots! And touring bindings.
I’ll probably need clothes to skin. And a back pack. Yikes.

Geez, with so much to get and look at, there’s no time left for skiing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
Best of luck with the PT. If for whatever reason that does not seem to be helping, I would recommend seeing an osteopath. I have had great success seeing one for a variety of strains, sprains, aches and pains.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I am confident I'll be skiing this month. It's just a matter of when...

Bill

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A minor pop. I had to ski out about a half hour, favoring it.
I had it checked out, doesn’t seem to be much. Didn’t really swell up at all, nor get stiff. Minor pain. Nevertheless, it was something.
Uh oh.... Sounds like my first knee injury.
Hope it isn't too much of something.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought ankle sprains went out with old leather boots. Guess I stand corrected

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I once tore my perneol tendon sheath on my right ankle with an eerily similar accident in 1988. Same type of slow, twisting fall where I didn't release from my bindings. That one was obviously pretty horrible since it required surgery to fix. This one is just a sprain.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Just goes to show that I just need to keep skiing FAST. Hahahahahaa.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Well... it's a grade 2 sprain. Bad but i can come back from it. Just gonna be down for a bit.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine was technically a sprain - nice high grade one that involved tearing all sorts of soft tissue and requiring surgery. I posted this pic and was told by an ER ski diva to get myself to the doctor at once!
View attachment 122989
I was just going to mention that when I saw your pic! Whoosh - that was a rough snow day - the worst conditions that I have ever skied!

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Here's the Sunday update... I'm off crutches! Definitely feeling better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can be skiing in 10 days. I'm massaging above and below the injury 2-3x p/day and doing small exercises as prescribed. Hoping for the best, especially with more snow in the forecast. I was SUPER bummed out Friday night. I asked my son and his buddy how the conditions were and their response was "bumpapalooza". I've been waiting all season for things to bump up to that degree. Oh well, I'm grateful it wasn't worse and that I'm on the mend.

Bill

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Exactly! On a more serious note, I immediately scheduled a PT appointment for Friday AM, which is the first available date. It hurts like hell but I'm hopeful that with PT, I can be back in the saddle and skiing within the next 2 weeks or so. February school break is coming up and it would SUCK to be laid up with an injury.
Nice! I am curious as to what your PT person has to say about drinking alcohol during recovery, it seems to be a really bad choice to tell someone to drink while recovering, did you drink while skiing before your accident? that seems to be the most common way to injure yourself