• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spring Wax Technique

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I only got in two runs on my new structure on the Bad Dogs.

IMG_20210404_175209987.jpg

One run when the snow was frozen solid and beautifully smooth for racing. The other at the end of the races and the arena was still smooth but quite wet. They ran well there and out of the arena where it had been skied all day. Tomorrow I head out for a full-ish day of skiing on the rangers. I'll be on the low elevation groomers and then high elevation natural terrain. More to follow.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Well I finally had a chance to try the Dominator Wet today. I think I wasted $60. Very disappointed with how sticky my skis still were. And it seemed like most others were having much less of an issue than I was.
Okay, as stated prior, I think you have other issues such as a poor structure. I have used the Dominator Elite W now 3 times.
Put it on in the cold parking lot one morning too.
I was very pleased with the results each time.
About 1:30pm where snow has lots of sun, I felt a few stickies. That's normal. That's time to quit, or grin and bare it out a bit longer knowing the snow is going off.

Jacques

Skier
It's not "pretty". The question really is, tho, is it EFFECTIVE?
I have "cross-cut" a ski base before with the edge of a file for wet. Those skis worked great!
I remember someone telling me, "look at those bases". I told them, you might kill yourself if you want to try them!

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Really. Or get a new base grind.
Just had them done 6 ski days ago but not a spring structure. Will definitely be reexamining that next winter.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our shop ground a light chevron pattern into our mid-80's all mtn skis and applied spring wax. Still too sticky for my taste, but that night I followed up with Swix CF10 spray on and brushed out with a soft nylon brush. That worked like a dream, only sticky in the worst of the afternoon, and lasted longer than I expected. The shop said a heavier spring structure would relieve that, but at a price of base life, so I passed.

I took the big Rangers out for an afternoon with the CH10 and they were pretty smooth as well in the mush. These still have the original structure from the factory since I get so few powder days to ski them. That's fine with me, I can afford them for those special days and now perhaps for some spring days as well.

TS
David

David

Skier
Well I finally had a chance to try the Dominator Wet today. I think I wasted $60. Very disappointed with how sticky my skis still were. And it seemed like most others were having much less of an issue than I was.
So I did not reapply for today and It was much better and the snow seemed the same. It was wet soft and heavy but I only had a couple of spots that were even a little grabbed. Maybe it just had to work in better. I guess we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So I did not reapply for today and It was much better and the snow seemed the same. It was wet soft and heavy but I only had a couple of spots that were even a little grabbed. Maybe it just had to work in better. I guess we'll see how the rest of the week goes.
Did you brush on the first day?

I skied from 8:30 until 2:00 today on the Rangers. They ran nicely with just some minor slowdown on really wet flats. Just Universal wax and the new structure. They weren't directional as can happen with coarser structures. I did (hand) brush well (I ain't got no roto-brushes at home) to keep the structure open (copper then nylon).

TS
David

David

Skier
Did you brush on the first day?

I skied from 8:30 until 2:00 today on the Rangers. They ran nicely with just some minor slowdown on really wet flats. Just Universal wax and the new structure. They weren't directional as can happen with coarser structures. I did (hand) brush well (I ain't got no roto-brushes at home) to keep the structure open (copper then nylon).
I did brush the night before really well. At lunch I just used my leather glove and a white non abrasive pad with no noticeable difference.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I did brush the night before really well. At lunch I just used my leather glove and a white non abrasive pad with no noticeable difference.
Was the glove and pad done just after rubbing on some more Wet?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've been skiing exclusively on my new spring structure. The ski have been waxed with only Vola Universal (18° F to 58° F.) The skis are my RD Bad Dogs (just a couple runs), K2 Pinnacle 88s (a couple full days) and Ranger 98s (many partial and a full day.)

I've been happy with it although I haven't been on sloppy wet snow that much, just around the base when I'm leaving, but that hasn't been problematic. New snow with sun and warm temps, yes. Fresh dry pow, yes. Sweet corn, yes. The only times the structure seems slow is on the fresh snow that is unskied and slightly wet or just turning wet. But everyone I ask is also noticing that fresh snow is slow and grabby. I'm not sure I'd blame my structure for not working well on it when people without spring structure are also being affected.

I'm hoping for more spring and wet snow to use the skis on. But yesterday and today were pow days. No complaints from me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've been skiing exclusively on my new spring structure. The ski have been waxed with only Vola Universal (18° F to 58° F.) The skis are my RD Bad Dogs (just a couple runs), K2 Pinnacle 88s (a couple full days) and Ranger 98s (many partial and a full day.)

I've been happy with it although I haven't been on sloppy wet snow that much, just around the base when I'm leaving, but that hasn't been problematic. New snow with sun and warm temps, yes. Fresh dry pow, yes. Sweet corn, yes. The only times the structure seems slow is on the fresh snow that is unskied and slightly wet or just turning wet. But everyone I ask is also noticing that fresh snow is slow and grabby. I'm not sure I'd blame my structure for not working well on it when people without spring structure are also being affected.

I'm hoping for more spring and wet snow to use the skis on. But yesterday and today were pow days. No complaints from me.

What is that, about 32-35 grooves per inch? 0.7-0.8 mm ? With a ~8 degree crossing angle?

I picked up a bunch of Vola HF and LF paste on closeout, not sure I'll get to use it but :crossfingers:

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of my falls back for warm weather is beeswax, works well as an add mix, straight or rub on (I always carry a piece in my pocket), the second is a small bar of hotel soap as a rub on. Be forewarned extremely good for about 20-30 seconds after which becomes less effective, but that can be enough to be extremely fast for a short period.

These are old school methods but effective.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
out with sevral freinds yesterday, and we tested different waxes between us, for me and a friend. ps8 yesterday, works wonderfull, but you can tell its stripped out in 4-5 hours of skiiing, buddies with the skis with ps6 an ps7 had worse glide, but not drasticly, and it does really last much longer.

ps6 base and 8/10 spray is still favorite, and respray during lunch. testing out the vola liquid after tips, seems very very promsising.

Jacques

Skier
I have been using and testing the new Dominator Elite line of waxes. They are fluoro free, and I have been quite impressed and happy.
The W works great. The OS and NS are both excellent with water, so if you have the right base structure, you are golden!

TS
David

David

Skier
Odd. Here's the unit I have.

I've decided to pick up a riller bar system for the coming season like what you have in the video. I was on their website and it mentioned this works on skis up to 120mm wide. Have you been able to use this on today's skis with tips & tails wider than 120mm?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. Have you been able to use this on today's skis with tips & tails wider than 120mm?

Yes, I can use my Holmenkol on modern 80-something waist alpine skis. The structure impression near the tips and tails isn't great. On the upside, that is not as 'catchy' a zone and it disappears quickly enough.

I haven't bothered trying to modify the Trimaxx guide walls to do 100mm+ skis - I have enough of those (skis) with really great multipurpose structures that I can just pull a spring ski off the hanger wall.

Which unit did you get?

TS
David

David

Skier
Yes, I can use my Holmenkol on modern 80-something waist alpine skis. The structure impression near the tips and tails isn't great. On the upside, that is not as 'catchy' a zone and it disappears quickly enough.

I haven't bothered trying to modify the Trimaxx guide walls to do 100mm+ skis - I have enough of those (skis) with really great multipurpose structures that I can just pull a spring ski off the hanger wall.

Which unit did you get?
I didn't buy one yet because of the width. All my skis have tips & tails wider than the 120 listed so I wasn't sure if it woulwork. I like the idea of the one in the video so you donhave to mess with switching rollers and the handle on both sides looks like it would be easier to keep a constant pressure.

TS
David

David

Skier

Which unit did you get?
I was just looking at the Swix riller and it seems like you could grind the guide edge off on one side without the rollers falling out. Then do one side of the ski and flip it around to do the other side. Or maybe remove both and be able to do the center? Just thinking out loud...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210815-193158_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210815-193158_eBay.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4

Sponsor

Staff online