• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spring Wax Technique

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just so it's clear to all the other readers in the thread:

IMO the structures like @Doug Briggs has on his RDs above are less bad in dry mid winter snow than the press-rilled structures from the hand tools are on truly gloppy spring snow. Which is why I am absolutely making the ground-structure choice on 95-100+ mm skis.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'll be testing this structure tomorrow at the final day of racing at Cooper. These are on my RD Bad Dogs. I'm dressing up in appropriate costume to match the skis.

View attachment 130319

I put the same structure on my Pinnacles and Rangers as well. They will be more realistic and long term tests. The wax I'll be using is Vola's Universal which covers 18° to 60° F.
I keep going back & forth between changing the pattern on the stone grind and using a riller for a temporary solution in the spring. I'd love to hear how your pattern works during the winter before it warms up.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a Toko T18 wax iron this season. Wow, what a difference.
I have couple Swix mid grade irons and a bunch of entry level irons from over the years. The entry level crap just make waxing painful. The mid range Swix irons are much better. The T18 just blows them all into the trash bin.
I find the T18 reduces the wax ironing time by 50% when compared to the mid range Swix. It is so smooth.
I’ve been using a $40 Wintersteiger for the last 4 years and after seeing the price on the T18 @RaceWax.com I upgraded. I had been looking at the T73D and almost bought it a few days ago.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been using a $40 Wintersteiger for the last 4 years and after seeing the price on the T18 @RaceWax.com I upgraded. I had been looking at the T73D and almost bought it a few days ago.

That's a really good price.
The T37D is the typical mid range iron I was talking about. The T18 is definitely a step up. Enjoy the new iron.

Sponsor