• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spring Wax Technique

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been trying to keep too much pressure on my tips, but my quads and knees are taking a beating. I know I don't have the right mojo here, as this is my first extended period of spring skiing instead of just a day here or there. Any tips?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug blue did indeed help a ton on the agresive snow we are having, glide was even very nice!

it did not seem to stop the rocks and sand that somebody mixed into new hill we visited... but base has some nice new structure eh.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still stick with univ yellow or white and a couple beers at early lunch. Beer helps a lot i.e, headaches, indecisiveness on what is corn/almost corn/ resetting corn or sloppy mush. When in doubt in the warm spring air beer is my choice.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I just ordered some Dominator Wet and can't wait to try it. I will be in Colorado in April when it is usually pretty warm & sloppy but looking at the forecast it's going to be 50's in town so probably high temps up high in the low to mid 30's. My impression was to rub it on my spring wax but with this forecast I may hot wax with my all temp wax. If it does get warmer than expected can it be used over an all temp wax successfully? I won't be able to redo a hot wax while traveling.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I just ordered some Dominator Wet and can't wait to try it. I will be in Colorado in April when it is usually pretty warm & sloppy but looking at the forecast it's going to be 50's in town so probably high temps up high in the low to mid 30's. My impression was to rub it on my spring wax but with this forecast I may hot wax with my all temp wax. If it does get warmer than expected can it be used over an all temp wax successfully? I won't be able to redo a hot wax while traveling.
Yes!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been trying to keep too much pressure on my tips, but my quads and knees are taking a beating. I know I don't have the right mojo here, as this is my first extended period of spring skiing instead of just a day here or there. Any tips?

Neutral stance with weight on the area between center of arch and heel. A softly closed ankle helps a lot. Fairly up right back and a tightened core. The tightened core will help keep the torso from hinging at the waist.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Less is more; too much Zardoz underneath -> gummy top wax.

I was wondering how you're getting those two to play well together. I tried it once and ended up with a mess and determined that not-wax and wax are just plain incompatible. I'm surprised you get good results from this combo.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
that not-wax and wax are just plain incompatible. I'm surprised you get good results from this combo.

Too bad Zardoz solid waxes are off market now - you would have liked the White (cold version). Before Zardoz brought those out we were mixing NW and molten CH6 in crockpots.

I think the gummy mess comes from surfactants in the solid wax.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I won't be able to redo a hot wax while traveling.
if it gets that bad,
don't forget you can always pull out the credit card and pay a shop for services.
Usually in spring, resorts will set up a station slopeside to have wax specials, even if its a machine quickwax it may work.

You're already potinvested for your trip, an extra $10-$20 to keep you on the slopes is worth it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After skiing...
  1. Dry ski off
  2. Take care of burs and any damage to base
  3. Brass Roto
  4. Wipe off
  5. Spray Toko Liquid Paraffin
  6. Let set over night
  7. Nylon Roto
  8. Soft hand brush
  9. Ski

How many treatments do you get from a can of this stuff? Sorry if this was answered already.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I just received my Dominator Wet. There's a lot less of it than I expected for the price but I read somewhere it should be good for about 20 pair of skis. I guess we'll see how it goes! View attachment 129767

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I just received my Dominator Wet. There's a lot less of it than I expected for the price but I read somewhere it should be good for about 20 pair of skis. I guess we'll see how it goes! View attachment 129767
It will do plenty of applications! Did you not see my video on application?
You apply it just like Butter, but don't worry about smoking fluoros. Even then, Dominator removed PFOA's from their fluoros as they make their own fluoros. They don't but them from China.
Here, look how much I use for an application. Video link.