• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Squalpine Spring, Skiing, Sunshine, Slush, and Chute

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted one more spring trip this season, so I decided to head out to Tahoe to ski Squaw Valley and Alpine meadows... and was lucky enough to ski with some of the locals. It was a quicker trip due to some work commitments, so I only had three ski days. It was well worth doing as conditions were generally really good, and it was a lot of fun. Thanks to @Philpug and @Tricia for the hospitality, and to @Andy Mink, @Tony, and @Chris V. as well for coming out to ski! I hope to get back out there again sometime.

Day 1 - Squaw Valley

First lift of the day on Squaw One - there had been 3" reported overnight to freshen things up. Eventually I met up with Chris V. and headed on up.
Squalpine 041621 001 ACR Conv.jpg

Squaw has both a Funitel and a Tram, which along with Squaw One give some options for getting up the mountain.
Squalpine 041621 004 ACR Conv.jpg

KT-22 lift in the morning light wih Exhibition lift behind... I'd never ridden KT-22 on a prior visit, but would ride it later in the day
Squalpine 041621 012 ACR Conv.jpg

Fog and clouds would roll in and out in the morning. This view is on Siberia Express lift with some clouds/fog and some evidence of new snow.
Squalpine 041621 013 ACR Conv.jpg

SkiTalk sticker shot across 4 pairs of skis - mine on the far right. They're Elan Wingman 82 CTi and are a nice all-around ski.
Squalpine 041621 015 ACR Conv.jpg

Andy Mink, Philpug, Tricia, and Chris V. at the top of Siberia... we lapped this a couple of times as a warm-up. These folks bypassed a reported 8-10" at Rose to come ski Squaw with me. :beercheer:
Squalpine 041621 020 ACR Conv.jpg

Next trip up Siberia the clouds had rolled back in, so we decided we should head over to the "backside" of Shirley Lake and Solitude
Squalpine 041621 022 ACR Conv.jpg

Near the bottom of Solitude lift, trying to miss the rocks. The off-piste here was pretty nice with the refresh, but was tough for me on day 1. It had been about a month since I'd skied, so I was getting my "ski legs" back. Chris V in green with Philpug below him.
Squalpine 041621 029 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking back up at the area we came down in the sun
Squalpine 041621 031 ACR Conv.jpg

We did a couple of laps of Solitude, and one of Granite Chief, and a couple of Shirley Lake... Mostly things were soft and pretty nice on and off-piste. And I got a couple of good pics of the wiggles on Funnel from the Shirley Lake lift, with some clouds still hanging around
Squalpine 041621 037 ACR Conv.jpg

After lunch, we skied down to the bottom to take KT-22... the first time I'd ever ridden it... Shown here with the Olympic Lady lift far left... definitely some serious terrain, but we'd ski some easier stuff
Squalpine 041621 050 ACR Conv.jpg

From the top of KT-22 you get this view of Alpine Meadows... you can make out the Roundhouse and Summit lifts
Squalpine 041621 051 ACR Conv.jpg

This is the sign if you go left off the lift... we went right
Squalpine 041621 052 ACR Conv.jpg

View looking up at the area around Saddle that we skied down... there is a narrow winding groomer you can take, but this area was in pretty nice shape and a bit of challenge for me
Squalpine 041621 054 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 2 - Alpine Meadows

I got to Alpine about 8:45 and got in line for Roundhouse a bit before opening. It was a warmer and sunnier day, and we'd go looking for soft stuff. I met up with @Tony, his wife Lucia, and Tony Crocker a bit later in the morning, but got a few laps in by myself early.
Squalpine 041621 061 ACR Conv.jpg

View of Alpine Bowl... I lapped this several times as the snow skier's left was great, and things softened up further skier's right as the day went on
Squalpine 041621 065 ACR Conv.jpg

We mostly skied Alpine Bowl and Wolverine Bowl (shown here from the lift)... I really wished they had an upper lift so you didn't have to ski to the bottom each time, as things got sloppy lower as the day wore on.
Squalpine 041621 071 ACR Conv.jpg

Another wiggle at Alpine... a big one. This one is skiers left of Wolverine Bowl. According to the trail map, it's on "Idoit's Delight" :P
Squalpine 041621 072 ACR Conv.jpg

View across Alpine Bowl to the top of the Summit lift
Squalpine 041621 088 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Taking a lunch break with a view of the groomer parking now at the base of Kangaroo lift
Squalpine 041621 097 ACR Conv.jpg

Alpine wasn't very busy... not a lot of folks stopping for lunch either.
Squalpine 041621 098 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 3 - Squaw Valley again

I was staying at the Squaw Valley Lodge, which has a great location, especially if you get a room in the closest building to the lifts.
Squalpine 041621 105 ACR Conv.jpg

Selfie on Red Dog... I wore this Giro helmet with integrated goggles all three days. It worked well for the mixed light conditions.
Squalpine 041621 109 ACR Conv.jpg

Philpug and Tricia with a lake view
Squalpine 041621 114 ACR Conv.jpg

I did some demo of some Augment All-Mountain 98 skis... the biggest skis I've ever been on (98 width, 187 lengh). They worked very well for soft stuff, and were suprisingly versatile.
Squalpine 041621 115 ACR Conv.jpg

With a lot of off-piste nicely softened, even in the morning, we skied Headwall Face... tough for me, but a good adventure. Why do the bumps always look smaller and less steep in pics (and from the lift)?
Squalpine 041621 118 ACR Conv.jpg

After meeting up with Tony and Lucia, we did several laps of the Solitude area again. Then we headed over to do Mighty Mite chute (between Funnel/The Attic and Arrete)... probably the narrowest thing I've skied and a good sort of intro chute for me. Tricia heading in here:
Squalpine 041621 121 ACR Conv.jpg

Andy Mink above the entrance watching
Squalpine 041621 122 ACR Conv.jpg

Tony waiting his turn
Squalpine 041621 123 ACR Conv.jpg

Philpug and Andy as Tricia heads down
Squalpine 041621 124 ACR Conv.jpg

Tricia taking the higher line coming out
Squalpine 041621 125 ACR Conv.jpg

After that adventure, we headed over to Emigrant, just to get one last view
Squalpine 041621 133 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Yours truly at the top of Emigrant with Lake Tahoe in the background... it was a terrific few days and way to end the season!
Squalpine 041621 136 ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It was super fun skiing with you. Did you get all the Gypsy hair out of your luggage?

Selfie on Red Dog... I wore this Giro helmet with integrated goggles all three days. It worked well for the mixed light conditions.

B7DD238D-641D-41A4-8237-4CB12AFB43A6.JPG A102796C-C0F4-4392-ABFC-1F325809971F.JPG

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It was super fun skiing with you. Did you get all the Gypsy hair out of your luggage?

Yep... laundry was done quickly when I got home. :ogbiggrin:

And of course it's fun to ski with me... I make everyone else's skiing look that much better! Thanks for pushing me down some of the harder stuff. (Figuratively, of course.) Although I blamed Andy any time I did anything tiring. :P

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Notice that blue house to the right of the lift in the first picture? I ended up renting that house for a trip about 15 years ago. From what I gathered, it was owned by a friend of Alex Cushing. It was really weird carrying luggage across the ski slope there LOL

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So it appeared you were volunteered as the buffer friend du jour on multiple occasions.
Yep... I was just glad you weren't there to change "pushing me down some of the harder stuff" from being figurative to being literal. :P

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Notice that blue house to the right of the lift in the first picture? I ended up renting that house for a trip about 15 years ago. From what I gathered, it was owned by a friend of Alex Cushing. It was really weird carrying luggage across the ski slope there LOL
That's awesome. I assumed that was some patrol office or something and didn't really look at it. Talk about a prime location (assuming they are running Squaw One - which isn't always true apparently.)

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's awesome. I assumed that was some patrol office or something and didn't really look at it. Talk about a prime location (assuming they are running Squaw One - which isn't always true apparently.)
Could be anything at this point. It also has a finished basement, which I never would have expected. That's actually where I ended up sleeping.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks very interesting...what model is that?
It's this one:

I'm curious to use it in colder weather next year, and whether it will seal and vent as well as my other helmet/goggles setup. For the warmer weather I skied in, it was great, though it could use more venting. (I get hot easily.) I really liked the ease of lifting the goggles up and down. Fuller review to come at some point.

Sponsor

Staff online