• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser AX vs AR

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
The beloved AX vs the new(er) AR.

I have lots of time on the AX but am wondering about the AR. Does it have the same magic turn initiation? The same versatility? The same smooth feeling?

Thoughts?

B

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier

I have lots of time on the AX but am wondering about the AR. Does it have the same magic turn initiation? The same versatility? The same smooth feeling?

Thoughts?

B
Paging @Noodler to the white courtesy telephone ...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Thoughts?

B

Yes. Similar. Yes. :)

I would say that when it comes to versatility they both have some, but they differ in application. The AR gets its versatility from having more platform/float than the AX, while the AX's design provides it with a larger performance envelope and a more accessible ski for more skiers.

Have you read my AR review in the Laser AR thread?

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
3 questions regarding the Laser AX in a 182.
What are the preferred bindings, if there are any?
Is anyone using a plate?
Anyone playing around with mount points? On all my full on race skis and on my all mt carvers I’m running 1/2 to 1 cm forward and absolutely loving the difference.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Something to consider: the Lasers in a 182 will ski like a very stiff 188. Unless you are over 225 lbs. and value long, stable turns over any versatility and playfullness, you might well consider a shorter length.

Best!
Mike

PS: I mounted my Lasers 1/2" forward and love it at that spot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Something to consider: the Lasers in a 182 will ski like a very stiff 188. Unless you are over 225 lbs. and value long, stable turns over any versatility and playfullness, you might well consider a shorter length.

Best!
Mike
Very true, I had this epiphany just yesterday when I was updating my 2022 reviews of the Lasers. Stockli Lasers suffer from (early) Kastle MX syndrome, the two core szes of the ski, 167 and 174/5 lengths of the Lasers, the book end sizes do not ski as well or receive the same amount of love.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I spent a day on demo AXs, trying them mounted from 1.5cm forward to 1cm back.
I have my 175s mounted on the line, but was also good at +0.5cm. Some people seem to like them +1cm, but I didn't.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Very true, I had this epiphany just yesterday when I was updating my 2022 reviews of the Lasers. Stöckli Lasers suffer from (early) Kästle MX syndrome, the two core szes of the ski, 167 and 174/5 lengths of the Lasers, the book end sizes do not ski as well or receive the same amount of love.

I think this is where there's value in the Sooth Ski data. They're testing multiple lengths of the same models and showing quantified data of the differences in flex stiffness between those lengths. Still not a substitute for real-world on-snow testing, but can provide validation of the on-snow experience.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really enjoying my AX182s (19-20 version) and I'm not real big-5'10" -180-185 lbs. and old enough so I can get a covid shot. Yes, they're fantastic on big high speed turns ( I haven't found the speed limit yet), but I have no problem doing railroad tracks on lower angle groomers and can bent them to change the turn radius. They're fine in small to moderate bumps and have no difficulty doing short swing fall line turns. Bottom line-I'm skiing them, they aren't skiing me (which I've had happen with some skis).

Bindings are the Stockli version of the Salomon 13 din demo binding. I moved them 5 mm forward of center and like the way they ski well enough that I haven't bother with more experimentation.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
I have some new-to-me AX's and after a couple days of experimentation I'm at 2 clicks forward (about 1.6 ish cm) and I like it VERY MUCH.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I moved them 5 mm forward of center and like the way they ski
That's not the first time I've heard that. Mount point appears to make a big difference on these skis in the longest length. I wonder if I would have like mine if I changed it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bindings are the Stöckli version of the Salomon 13 din demo binding. I moved them 5 mm forward of center and like the way they ski well enough that I haven't bother with more experimentation.
5mm forward on a 182cm ski? I will come back to this:

You would be better off with a hard mount binding on center, it would be more responsive in initiation and reactive laterally.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
To me, the AR skied like a wide GS ski. It wanted to be on edge and could slice through crud easily. The AX skied more like a narrow all mountain ski.

The AR seemed to be happier carving whereas the AX seemed a bit more versatile regarding turn shapes and types. Perhaps it was just that the skis had different tunes?

bad influence

Booting up
Skier
I was in the ski shop today talking with the guys there. They suggested the AR would be a good daily driver for where I ski in NH/VT. would the AR be a good ski for moguls, crud, daily driver....?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
AR be a good ski for moguls, crud, daily driver..
I used my AR in Jackson last year and really liked them in cut up 3D snow, moguls, I needed to be pretty aggressive with them but they really responded, I haven't skied them back east but I plan to tomorrow

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really enjoying my AX182s (19-20 version) and I'm not real big-5'10" -180-185 lbs. and old enough so I can get a covid shot. Yes, they're fantastic on big high speed turns ( I haven't found the speed limit yet), but I have no problem doing railroad tracks on lower angle groomers and can bent them to change the turn radius. They're fine in small to moderate bumps and have no difficulty doing short swing fall line turns. Bottom line-I'm skiing them, they aren't skiing me (which I've had happen with some skis).
But ... Reality check for our viewing audience: Johnny is a racer and knows how to work a ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Bindings are the Stöckli version of the Salomon 13 din demo binding. I moved them 5 mm forward of center and like the way they ski well enough that I haven't bother with more experimentation.
This is my experience exactly, on the previous year's 183s, in the Colo. Rockies though. Just exactly. They are so smooth and stable. I'm an old guy, but once raced - middle of the pack usually. But my ski buddy never raced, skis more upright (limited ankle movement from walking golf courses for a living at one time), and has pretty much the same experience as I do, with a bit different technique.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But ... Reality check for our viewing audience: Johnny is a racer and knows how to work a ski.
Thanks Tony, but calling me a racer may be a stretch! I ski down courses with gates, I wear a race suit, I spend WAY too much time preparing skis for when I do that and I'm competitive in in local races in the Men's 65-69 age group, but I'm not even on the same planet as real racers. Still a load of fun though!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online