• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jay

Booting up
Skier
Curious if anyone has skied both of these and has impressions. I’m looking at both and would like to know thoughts. I’m a life long eastern skier, currently on head I-rally. Looking for hard snow, carving ski with lots of energy. Based on reviews, the blizzard seems like a slightly better fit but I hear great things about the stockli as well. Sincerely appreciate everyone’s thoughts!

Nick C

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Me too, Exactly what I'm considering or the Laser AR possibly. Anyway if anyone notices our little dilemma.
All are great skis I'm sure and here in the U.K the firebirds are good value right now but you know ski nerds like to consider.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own a laser AX. Never skied a firebird, but I would think the other lasers (sx, sc, ?) would be more comparable. The AX is kind of mix of carver and all Mtn ski. It's versatility for a carver based ski is what makes it special. It's also "soft" and burly at the same time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The AX is kind of mix of carver and all Mtn ski.
I think the HRC version of the Firebird is supposed to be the same somewhat. It's 76mm wide, for instance, compared to the AX at 78. I too, though, would guess that the Firebird is a harder charging carver than the AX, but I don't know.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are different animal skis. The HRC with it's integrated binding is much more race ski derived and the Stockli is really a very good hard snow biased all mountain ski. While there might be some overlap in some of the performance, the Blizzard will have the edge, pun intended, and the AX will have a bit more versatility in mixed conditions.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Me too, Exactly what I'm considering or the Laser AR possibly. Anyway if anyone notices our little dilemma.
All are great skis I'm sure and here in the U.K the firebirds are good value right now but you know ski nerds like to consider.
May I ask where you are looking at the Firebird HRC? (as I'm also in the UK). The last one I saw in Europe was from the Czech Republic, and that 175 is now gone. Perhaps you were looking at another model (not the HRC)?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I own the Stockli Laser AX in 175 (this year's, 19/20) and 183 (18/19), and have demoed next year's (20/21) Blizzard Firebird HRC - in 76 174/r. 15, I believe.

I agree that the HRC is much more a race-derived ski, whereas the Laser AX is its own thing, as described, versatile with a frontside carving bias. The 175 AX is very quick edge to edge - almost too quick, to me; whereas the 183 length AX (the length for 18/19?) and the subsequent 182 (the length for 19/20) are both more charger skis, smooth, a bit heavy for bumps. (Of these, I experienced the 182s (19/20) as easier to initiate, maybe less heavy-feeling, but similar: a more GS feel, a bit too chargy and heavy-feeling for bumps for many, but still a winner.)

The HRC is also very quick edge to edge, in common with the 175 AX, and relatively a bit more so than many of the similarly race-derived frontside options. In this way, to me, it feels faster edge to edge than, say, the comparable width Volkl Deacon, which feels slightly more planted and stable as a result: more directly responsive, maybe, rather than so lightening quick, almost over responsive, as are both some of the Blizzard non-FIS WRCs, and the HRC 76/174 I tried. The Rossi Hero Elite skis that are comparable also feel a bit less quick, some of them to me better and more dialed in (the 174/14, for example), and some more sluggish (the 168/13, for example). But these are all good skis.

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Skier
In this way, to me, it feels faster edge to edge than, say, the comparable width Volkl Deacon, which feels slightly more planted and stable as a result: more directly responsive, maybe, rather than so lightening quick, almost over responsive, as are both some of the Blizzard non-FIS WRCs, and the HRC 76/174 I tried.
Which Deacon, the 76 or the 79, or 80? Also, not to nitpick, but I've read and re-read the clauses after the colon, and the syntax is confusing, with I think some leftover or misplaced words from a prior draft edit. I am very much interested in what you meant, so a clean-up would be most appreciated :)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've tried a bunch of those Deacons over the years, and to me they all have a characteristic planted, down-to-earth feel in common, from the narrowest (which I focused on last year, in demoing) to the widest (which I turned to more this year). They don't get ahead of themselves, so to speak. Dialed in, for what they are, race-derived.

Sorry about the 183/182 length confusion: they are different lengths and years for the same model, with a lot in common but different. The 182 is an improvement.

(I modified the previous post, thanks to you. Hope it helps. For some reason, my computer had stopped taking edits.)

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Skier
Yes indeed, I have the Deacon 84 and you describe the feel of the skis quite well, better than I could articulate!

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Listen to Phil. The Blizzard is more limited. It does one thing well. If you want a stiff ski that slices up hard snow like a race GS ski, it's terrific. If you want some versatility and user friendliness without giving up hard-snow carving, go Laser.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid