• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stöckli Laser WRT ST vs SC?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the 185cm Laser GS. This is the smoothest, most versatile, easiest to ski, long turn sport carver I have ever used--handling lower speed skiing with friends and family, as well as more aggressive zooming on groomers. It is also OK in moguls, as well as a few inches of fresh snow. While not appropriate for a true GS race course (you would need the 25-30m FIS GS ski for that), the 185 Laser GS 19.4m is a delight all over the mountain--so much so that it replaced my 182 AX, as the 185 Laser GS was superior in every respect for me.
its a reason they are called cheater skis, makes you look so good with minimal effort.

agree on gs 185.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
One thing to keep in mind is the difference in the trail width found in the east versus the west once we factor in trail traffic. One thing I noticed this winter is I have started to favor a tighter turn radius ski on piste. It might sound odd, but I find myself choosing a ski based on 2 factors now: 1. snow conditions, 2. Anticipated skier volume.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One thing to keep in mind is the difference in the trail width found in the east versus the west once we factor in trail traffic. One thing I noticed this winter is I have started to favor a tighter turn radius ski on piste. It might sound odd, but I find myself choosing a ski based on 2 factors now: 1. snow conditions, 2. Anticipated skier volume.
+1 on this post.

when I go to our larger mountain suddenly 18 is more than tight enough with low volume crowd, heck 22-30 is fine, but locally same 18 skis feels fairly large, especially with race training takeing half width, and forciing side runs to crowd.

I was thinking to myself recently after skiiing SX locally, theese are so good, but could be shorter radius, then travel to mountain, ski them for 4 days... wow, amazing, could have gone longer radius.

I also factor in who I ski with, large radius fast skis are kinda a waste when your skiiing with slower people, then 72 master and such 14-15m skis are better.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Omg, that's such a good point, I never put my finger on that before. I was wondering why people like these 18-20m+ turn radius when all it does it get people yelling at "STAY IN YOUR LINE". That explains my reservations with going up to the 180cm WRT perfectly, I always ski east coast windy trails and knew instinctually the 180 wouldn't be the best fit.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering why people like these 18-20m+ turn radius when all it does it get people yelling at "STAY IN YOUR LINE".

"Stay in your line" translates into "Dude, you're in my line!"

That skier is skiing out of control. He/she will be skiing out of control regardless whatever ski he/she is on. It is more a mind set than the radius of the ski. :nono:

James

Out There
Instructor
I have the 185cm Laser GS. This is the smoothest, most versatile, easiest to ski, long turn sport carver I have ever used--handling lower speed skiing with friends and family, as well as more aggressive zooming on groomers. It is also OK in moguls, as well as a few inches of fresh snow. While not appropriate for a true GS race course (you would need the 25-30m FIS GS ski for that), the 185 Laser GS 19.4m is a delight all over the mountain--so much so that it replaced my 182 AX, as the 185 Laser GS was superior in every respect for me.
What binding or plate/binding did you put on it?