• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Tune Specs/what's wrong with my tune? (Lindsey--can you weigh in?)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do realize this might break the hearts of some higher ups at Stockli, but I am not touching the perfection that 0,5/3 on my WRT ST is.:ogbiggrin:

No 1/2 for this one user here, no.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sturtevants in Bellevue WA has a new Montana and a very knowledgeable staff. All skis go through the machine properly prepped and are hand finished. I have never had a bad tune from them. They also have all the codes for all the different fancy structures you could possibly want, including the Stöckli factory tune codes :)
Make sure you only deal with Mark Morrison!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
@James This was the comment I was referring to-

A ski that is tough to turn and wants to track straight is usually on a course linear structure or handed to the customer in the wavy “Pre grind” stage that hasn’t been properly finished yet. I’ve had skis done like that before I knew what to look for and it was very tough to ski. Like an edge high ski. Had to get it properly finished flat and new universal structure and it was good.
It's almost always one of 2 issues.... Hanging burr or structure in the metal edge. Skis only have to be flat about 10mm in from each edge to ski well. Remember Atomic Betarace? All concave in the tips (and sometime tails) they all skied fine!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Make sure you only deal with Mark Morrison!
Mark runs the shop and is the person I was mentioning earlier. He is an artist when it comes to tuning skis and is also a perfectionist. As I said earlier I have never had anything other than a perfect tune from him.

James

Out There
Instructor
Remember Atomic Betarace? All concave in the tips (and sometime tails) they all skied fine!
I do. I had a 9.34 slalom briefly. (34meters!) I took it to a shop to get it flattened. Didn’t know about the 15mm rule. At that time such things were costing me $20. Well these guys went to town on it. Many, many passes apparently. I came back from skiing and it was $60!
Actually hated that ski as it was already nearly two years old and skis were changing rapidly. One day on snow, eventually sold to someone who was thrilled to get it but it was very much the wrong ski for him. At least it was one of the flattest Atomic Beta skis in the east. :ogcool: I think @LiquidFeet for some reason had this ski as a beginner. Yikes. I hated it as an advanced skier.

@GregK , what’s your experience with bases causing problems?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Had a very deep and almost wavy grind issue years ago that just gone through the preliminary coarser grinding stage so it was almost like an insane deep, almost linear Spring grind and you could actually feels the waves of structure over the ski not just see them. Skied just like a rail high ski and wanted to go STRAIGHT and nothing but. Detuned the edges and didn’t change it much so I knew something was wrong even with my limited knowledge back then.

10 passes on a manual feed stone grinder to flatten and a broken linear structure with universal snow depth(factory type finish) and it was great again after redoing the edges. Now only trust a few places to manually stone grind or a $350k machine for stone grind only.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Some bit of concavity of the base in the tip area pretty much became the norm as ski widths increased. I've never found that to be much of a concern as long as the base area adjacent to the edges was flat (at least 10mm of base width). Convex is a totally different story as that will make the ski feel really loose.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I do. I had a 9.34 slalom briefly. (34meters!) I took it to a shop to get it flattened. Didn’t know about the 15mm rule. At that time such things were costing me $20. Well these guys went to town on it. Many, many passes apparently. I came back from skiing and it was $60!
Actually hated that ski as it was already nearly two years old and skis were changing rapidly. One day on snow, eventually sold to someone who was thrilled to get it but it was very much the wrong ski for him. At least it was one of the flattest Atomic Beta skis in the east. :ogcool: I think @LiquidFeet for some reason had this ski as a beginner. Yikes. I hated it as an advanced skier.

You remember that :ogbiggrin:. Yes, it was very orange. Definitely concave. Massive rebound.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And then there was the Fischer boat hulls :geek: Can't remember what they were called.
Loose doesn't begin to describe it, nor does convex. Also a "feature".

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mark runs the shop and is the person I was mentioning earlier. He is an artist when it comes to tuning skis and is also a perfectionist. As I said earlier I have never had anything other than a perfect tune from him.
Mark grinds all of our skis flat....I do the rest.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And then there was the Fischer boat hulls :geek: Can't remember what they were called.
Loose doesn't begin to describe it, nor does convex. Also a "feature".
Fischer Watea line up. It was called the Powder Hull

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
It's almost always one of 2 issues.... Hanging burr or structure in the metal edge. Skis only have to be flat about 10mm in from each edge to ski well. Remember Atomic Betarace? All concave in the tips (and sometime tails) they all skied fine!

Those Betarace were designed that way from what I was told. A theory of faster water evacuation somewhat like a Venturi effect. Kinda cool.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sturtevants in Bellevue WA has a new Montana and a very knowledgeable staff. All skis go through the machine properly prepped and are hand finished. I have never had a bad tune from them. They also have all the codes for all the different fancy structures you could possibly want, including the Stöckli factory tune codes :)
Ah...that's the shop my buddy took skis into for a full tune. He went back to get them, the "very knowledgeable staff" guy said, "these are dialed in," and handed them to my pal. He looked at them...they hadn't been touched. Every rock knock and gouge was untouched. He asked for the manager, the manager apologized, refunded his money, and did the full tune. Sturtevants wasn't perfect in the past, and they seem to have regressed after being bought by Christy Sports. My buddy's previous bad experience at Sturtevants was when they sold him high volume Intuition liners for his low volume Nordica Dobermann boots. The liners were very uncomfortable, returned, remolded, (3 times), finally got the manager of that department who said that this model Intuition could never work in his shells. The right liners were ordered for him...and sold to someone else before he could pick them up. Five trips back to the store, and he finally had liners that were right.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Ah...that's the shop my buddy took skis into for a full tune. He went back to get them, the "very knowledgeable staff" guy said, "these are dialed in," and handed them to my pal. He looked at them...they hadn't been touched. Every rock knock and gouge was untouched. He asked for the manager, the manager apologized, refunded his money, and did the full tune. Sturtevants wasn't perfect in the past, and they seem to have regressed after being bought by Christy Sports. My buddy's previous bad experience at Sturtevants was when they sold him high volume Intuition liners for his low volume Nordica Dobermann boots. The liners were very uncomfortable, returned, remolded, (3 times), finally got the manager of that department who said that this model Intuition could never work in his shells. The right liners were ordered for him...and sold to someone else before he could pick them up. Five trips back to the store, and he finally had liners that were right.
Interesting, Mark who runs there tune shop is pretty fantastic, that said he is not the only person who works there and I am sure mistakes happen, but Mark is the type of guy to make things right the way you described, so not all bad.

As for boots, I always have Brant or JR take care of me (though JR is no longer there) because I trust them and they have always taken good care of me and my family, but there are also some other great boot fitters there - this is the place I send all my friends and they have also had great results. Sorry sounds like your buddy had some bad luck with them - pretty much the opposite of my experience.

Sponsor

Staff online