• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Accessories Stan's DART tire repair tool...or how to stab your tire

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After getting my first flat, I was carrying the requisite tube patches for my tube tires. After going to tubeless I looked around and saw the Stan's DART (Dual Action Repair for Tubeless) tool. Having used regular bacon strip plugs before on ATV tires, I knew I wanted something easier to use so I dove in and got the tool that comes with two plugs and the pack that supplies 5 additional plugs. Today I got to try it out in the real world.

The DART is supposed to be for holes in the tread of the tire but, of course, I put about a half inch cut in the sidewall. The rubber was cut and there was damage to the carcass but it wasn't cut as much. I put two of the DART plugs in, held the bike flat so some of the Stan's sealant could get where the cut was, waited a few minutes for the chemical reaction to take place, pumped the tire up, and rode home. Easy peasy! I did stop a few times to check on the tire and once to add some more air though I doubt I had it up to where I usually ride, around 20psi. It does take some time for the sealant to do its thing but it did stop coming out before I rode the 4 miles home.

The DART is made to react with the tubeless sealant in the tire but beware, not all sealants are compatible. Some people have mentioned they had problems sealing holes and the little floret pieces separated from the stem or the stem broke. Keep in mind these are for bigger holes. Trying to shove the plug into a tiny hole is not what it's made for; smaller holes should be sealed by the sealant alone and that might take a bit of time too.

STAN'S DART TOOL
Plusses:
--It works and I didn't have to take my wheel off the bike to repair the tire.
--It's super easy to use.
--Compact and lightweight.
--No rubber cement to dry out.
--No worries about jamming a bacon strip tool into your rim or rim tape.
--No need to cut the excess off, even on the tread. It will wear off and can't be felt when riding.
Minuses:
--It's not particularly inexpensive.

20210930_150855.jpg

Two "florets" are on the tool

20210930_150910.jpg

Ready for a ride

20210930_142342.jpg

The bubbles are from the sealant coming through the plug. As the reaction took place the bubbling stopped and the hole sealed.

20210930_154320.jpg

The two florets after the ride home.

20210930_154346.jpg

The cut is easier to see here. I was going to get a new tire anyway...

The end result? I got the tire repaired in less than five minutes, including finding a fairly flat spot to work, getting the pack off, plugging the tire, pumping it up, and sloshing the sealant around to get it up on the sidewall. For me, totally worth the cost of admission!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can confirm that this tool rocks. I've only used it once, on a ~3 mm puncture, and I'm still riding the tire 15 hours later.

Recommended!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I replaced the tire. The tire with the Stan's held overnight but did leak a little after banging down the trail. After sloshing the sealant around a little more it held but I wasn't sure it would hold in the rocks. Still, it did its job by getting me home.
20211003_175347.jpg

The two DARTS on the inside

20211003_175437.jpg

What they look like after I pulled them out.

20211003_175628.jpg

The cut they plugged. It measured ¾" on the rubber.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks man!
Been carrying these with me for quite a long time now and always wondered what would happen if I had to use them (no flats since I bought them, long may it continue, touch wood), so this was super useful.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I replaced the tire. The tire with the Stan's held overnight but did leak a little after banging down the trail. After sloshing the sealant around a little more it held but I wasn't sure it would hold in the rocks. Still, it did its job by getting me home.
View attachment 143926
The two DARTS on the inside

View attachment 143927
What they look like after I pulled them out.

View attachment 143928
The cut they plugged. It measured ¾" on the rubber.
Good detailed report.

Edit: Does the tool inject additional fluid or does it rely on what's already in there?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Generally a good call on sidewall tears, although tire shops can sometimes be talked into "booting" a sidewall tear if the rest of the tire is in good shape.

Great photo documentary of the Darts doing their job!

@Tony S nope on injecting more fluid. That is something that needs to be kept up with. So many customers come into my LBS complaining that their tubeless sealant didn't stop a tiny little lead, and, surprise, it has all dried up!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Generally a good call on sidewall tears, although tire shops can sometimes be talked into "booting" a sidewall tear if the rest of the tire is in good shape.
I've seen where people sew the cut. I might try that just for practice.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had good luck with the regular bacon strips, but I do use the thicker ones.

Sponsor

Staff online