• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Staying in skiing shape by actually skiing

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Correction: $129 for six visits to Big Snow, not 10. Wishful-thinking memory.
I went to big snow about six times last season. I don't think it's steep enough for keeping in physical shape, but to keep in touch with snow (especially for a beginner) it might have value. The lift speed seems average to me. The thing is, if there is say more than one person on line ahead of you it feels terrible because the runs are so short. I went there both on weekends with my little boy, and alone midweek. Alone midweek it was quite good skiing: just laps fast, almost skating right onto the lift. That price is not bad.

I had no interest in going in covid times. My wife works nearby and is more of a beginner, so I've suggested she go after work sometimes now that she's vaccinated. We'll see if she does.

TS
4aprice

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG

Not bad for 2 hours on a 90 degree day. Pretty fun walking to the locker room in shorts with skis.

IMG_2248.JPG

Ran up Route 3, 46 and 80 up to the Lake Hopatcong to experience skiing in totally different conditions.

IMG_2258.JPG
Then went for some après ski which is back.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been to Big Snow 3 times. First time on a ski bike then the second two times on skis. The best thing to do for me was little slalom turns around cones aside the terrain park, and going through theh terrain park itself off the jumps.

I’m thinking of going, taking my tele setup. It’s been YEARS since I’ve done a tele turn so that can’t hurt to relearn on a short, shallow slope. Tele turns are more tiring than alpine turns.

Stand up paddle boarding is another great way to get some ski-related fitness (especially core strength)! Balance, edging (to turn the board), cardio, core, and the ability to jump in the water when it gets hot. ogsmile

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On long hikes on the way down I like to think of how my feet feel like skiing. Even running down if fairly safe.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve often wondered why there isn’t more off-season skiing here in the US. The UK has numerous indoor areas open year round and in Japan turf hills are common- Nishizawa even makes skis specifically for turf hills with bases dimpled like golf balls.
There is high level turf ski racing ( the mechanical “skis”with tracks) in Austria , France, and Italy in the summer. I don’t know what explains this other than we are not an “alpine”nation , it’s not part of our national identity and skiing is a niche sport here. Still, when I was a kid, I would have walked over hot coals to ski in August -100’ of vertical or not. If I lived in the tri-state area, I’d give it a try knowing it’s a different experience than a real mountain but it’s still skiing, albeit at a different level.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would highly recommend you try a ski-dek or ski simulator if there is one in your area . I’ve been on them occasionally since the 70’s and they are very good at simulating skiing movement. Pitch and speed are controllable and 20 minutes at a decent speed is the equivalent of thousands of feet of vertical. 20-30 minutes on a deck at speed , doing slalom turns, is fantastic cardio and your thighs will be on fire.
The first time my son was on skis it was on one of Bob Salerno’s (RIP) simulators. This was great because we weren’t spending energy on distractions ( lost gloves, loose buckles , cold) and he could focus on turning. Within 10 minutes he was turning skis consistently across the fall line. I’m convinced this might have taken several days on a “ real” hill .

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I’ve often wondered why there isn’t more off-season skiing here in the US. The UK has numerous indoor areas open year round and in Japan turf hills are common- Nishizawa even makes skis specifically for turf hills with bases dimpled like golf balls.
There is high level turf ski racing ( the mechanical “skis”with tracks) in Austria , France, and Italy in the summer. I don’t know what explains this other than we are not an “alpine”nation , it’s not part of our national identity and skiing is a niche sport here. Still, when I was a kid, I would have walked over hot coals to ski in August -100’ of vertical or not. If I lived in the tri-state area, I’d give it a try knowing it’s a different experience than a real mountain but it’s still skiing, albeit at a different level.
I am planning a day in August to go indoor skiing at the place here in NJ "Big Snow" it will be a preseason warm up.

Sponsor

Staff online