• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Advice

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Im planning our annual early March ski trip. I live in Tennessee and cant go until the 1st-2nd week of March each year due to work but this year I am planning a 2nd trip in mid to late April to wherever the snow is best. That being said we normally splurge and get a nice ski in ski out house/ condo for our group of 10 but this year we are looking to be more economical. We are pretty sure we want to ski Steamboat this year so I am looking for recommendations for housing that is an easy walk or has a free shuttle to the resort. We would prefer to stay together but aren't opposed to splitting up and staying in hotel rooms. Ive tried to research the towns ski shuttle but cant seem to find out where it actually stops. Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated as none of us have ever been there before. Thank You

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging @Ron ... and @Bruuuce are you still around here?

I stayed at the "Ski Inn" a couple of seasons ago which was, as expected, ski-in, and a short walk out. Trip report is here:

I happened to get a good deal due to the pandemic depressing prices, and booking it late. Typically staying on the mountain is pretty spendy.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you going in March or April? I love Steamboat but elevation wise they are semi low compared to others and a couple of times I've been there in March and they were taking more of a beating (by mother nature) then say Winter Park which has a higher base. Not trying to scare anyone off but I've never heard of Steamboat being a late season Mecca.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Steamboat is not as reliable in March as it used to be. It can be mud season at storm meadows or even Antlers. Definitely past champagne powder season. Late season is northern Rockies or Canada for me from now on.☹️

dm

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Are you going in March or April? I love Steamboat but elevation wise they are semi low compared to others and a couple of times I've been there in March and they were taking more of a beating (by mother nature) then say Winter Park which has a higher base. Not trying to scare anyone off but I've never heard of Steamboat being a late season Mecca.
Im going to Steamboat the first week of March. Im planning another trip elsewhere in April depending on the best snow conditions. So im trying to be a little more budget conscious on my March trip to Steamboat.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Steamboat is not as reliable in March as it used to be. It can be mud season at storm meadows or even Antlers. Definitely past champagne powder season. Late season is northern Rockies or Canada for me from now on.☹️

dm
Ill probably hit Banff in mid April. I went last year and loved it. Im hoping Steamboat still has good snow the first week of March but now Im getting nervous based on the responses. I coach 3 different wrestling teams plus my normal job and literally have a tournament every week from now until March unfortunately.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Paging @Ron ... and @Bruuuce are you still around here?

I stayed at the "Ski Inn" a couple of seasons ago which was, as expected, ski-in, and a short walk out. Trip report is here:

I happened to get a good deal due to the pandemic depressing prices, and booking it late. Typically staying on the mountain is pretty spendy.
Thank you. I loved the trip report. Very good info

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ill probably hit Banff in mid April. I went last year and loved it. Im hoping Steamboat still has good snow the first week of March but now Im getting nervous based on the responses. I coach 3 different wrestling teams plus my normal job and literally have a tournament every week from now until March unfortunately.

Good for you for your coaching work. Too bad about the ski season overlap.

Steamboat was really good for us on March 14-18, 2022 and this is supposed to be another La Nina year in 2023, so there is hope. Base was good and we got snow one day and grauple on another. It was spring break but crowds not too bad. fwiw, you can see recent closing dates here:

If really worried, I might vote for Snowbird. Similar flight access and longer season.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I was there March 7 to 14 in 2022 and 2020. Both were good end of winter conditions on the upper mountain. I spoke to people arriving in 2022 who were a little disappointed with the conditions around the base at storm meadows but then …

dm

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

First week is generally pretty decent I think. Obviously, nobody can guarantee anything at any time of year but due to its lower elevation and sun exposure, as the sun stays up longer each day and the nights aren't quite as cold, it suffers more quickly than the higher elevation resorts. Worst case, you can take day trips to Copper, Abasin, or Winter Park.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We stayed at the various Storm Meadows condos a few years back. There were six of us in two condos. They are ski-out and sort of ski- but definitely walk-in, depending on which one you get. You can get two or three condos to accommodate the 10 of you. They were not expensive (relatively) but it was a while ago.

We have liked Trappeur's Crossing and stayed there a few times. It isn't ski in or out but has a super convenient shuttle bus to the base.

Keep in mind that all these condos are privately owned, so YMMV depending on how well they are furnished or maintained.

We have had very good luck booking with Simply Steamboat as opposed to VRBO or Airbnb. They may not be the very cheapest, but the places have always been clean and well-appointed, and they are local so if you need anything, they are right there.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
First week is generally pretty decent I think. Obviously, nobody can guarantee anything at any time of year but due to its lower elevation and sun exposure, as the sun stays up longer each day and the nights aren't quite as cold, it suffers more quickly than the higher elevation resorts. Worst case, you can take day trips to Copper, Abasin, or Winter Park.
Thats where we usually go and I love all three

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Im planning our annual early March ski trip. I live in Tennessee and cant go until the 1st-2nd week of March each year due to work but this year I am planning a 2nd trip in mid to late April to wherever the snow is best. That being said we normally splurge and get a nice ski in ski out house/ condo for our group of 10 but this year we are looking to be more economical. We are pretty sure we want to ski Steamboat this year so I am looking for recommendations for housing that is an easy walk or has a free shuttle to the resort. We would prefer to stay together but aren't opposed to splitting up and staying in hotel rooms. Ive tried to research the towns ski shuttle but cant seem to find out where it actually stops. Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated as none of us have ever been there before. Thank You

There are TONS of condos just south of the Gondola at the base. I have stayed there a few times. The closer to the Gondola the better and you can walk there. There are also slopeside accommodations in several areas but I prefer the ones closer to the Gondola base. No shortage of lodging options at Steamboat it is just full of them.

That said I would not go in April most years. Due to its mostly west aspect and lower elevation snow conditions can be pretty bad during this time. That said you can luck out and have incredible uncrowded conditions during that time but given the geography its the exception not the rule. First week of March should be great though.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
My last few visits to Steamboat I have stayed at the following. Pre-pandemic, 2019, Chateau Chamonix; ski in/out but when I checked a couple of years later their rates had risen by more than 50%. January 2021, Torian Plum, ski in/out with pandemic pricing. Terrific location and very nice accommodations. February 2021, Trappeurs Crossing; not on the mountain but it’s own very efficient shuttle bus. All were nice and 3br/3bath condos. There are a lot of other condos around if you search. Early March should be just fine for skiing in a normal snow year.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey you mentioned shuttle. There are a ton of private shuttles for various condos and hotels as well. Our shuttle ran every almost 15 minutes like clockwork. We never used the town shuttle.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey you mentioned shuttle. There are a ton of private shuttles for various condos and hotels as well. Our shuttle ran every almost 15 minutes like clockwork. We never used the town shuttle.
Thats the kind of info i was looking for. Where did you stay?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We went January 2020. Stayed at a condo about 3/4 of a mile out from base in the direction that is not towards town. Shuttle to the hill was just a few minutes but because of where we were on the route the shuttle back was at least 20 minutes. Not bad. Bit of a PITA to get to town and back as we had to switch busses at the ski area and every trip out to dinner or the store and back seemed to take close to an hour each way. Plus there was often some waiting out in the cold involved. And it was cold indeed!

Fun trip though and we had great snow! We hired a car to take us up to the hot springs and the return us home one day and we Ubered from and to the airport.

Last edited: