• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Advice

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@tch @dbostedo
Thank you for confirming. The gondola it is if we plan to start our day on that (Sunshine Peak) side.
One more note... Depending on the lift lines, the Christie Peak -> Thunderhead route could be faster to Sundown than waiting for the gondola.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
@dbostedo gave you accurate advice. To answer one of your questions, you cannot get to Burgess Creek from the top of the Christie lift. The one thing that I don’t know is if you can get to the Thunderhead lift from the new Wild Blue gondola, but based on the map it appears you can. Also, from the top of Thunderhead you can ski down to Four Points or Storm Peak Express and ski over to the Sundown/Sunshine area. It avoids some of the crowds and mostly cat track to Sundown.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m in SS first couple days of February.

I was able to get the trail map mailed to me. If I want to start my day off the Sundown Express lift line, is the only direct route from the base (Sheraton) taking the gondola?

If I take Christy Peak Express up, can I get to Sundown Express or am I forced to ski to Burgess Creek lift? The map doesn’t show top of Christy to Sundown that well.
@Tiki

what are you hoping to hit off of Sundown? I presume the Tomahawk side of things, at least that's what most instructors and folks will reference the runs between Tomahawk and the High Noon to Fawn to Spike all going to the Sunshine lift. Those below the High Noon runs will drop you back to the Sundown Lift area.

In any case, the basic routes to the Sundown lift comprise of getting to the top of the Gondola - The Thunderhead Lodge. From there one catches Spur Run to the Sundown Lift.

To get to the Gondola top and then Spur Run you have two general options:
  • Take the Gondola
  • Take the Thunderhead to the top of the Gondola
    • Christie Lift to Boulevard down to the Thunderhead
    • New "Wild Blue Gondola" to the Thunderhead - Central Reservations confirmed this can be done
I can't state I know for fact the Wild Blue takes you to the Thunderhead but I'm nearly 100% confident it will. The topology of the land in the "Rough Rider" area ran down to the Thunderhead and I see no manner this changed. I suspect it'll depend on if Steamboat is using the Wild Blue Gondola for and if they do any limiting of it's access, but I can't see them not allowing anyone to use it to get to the Thunderhead lift.

My general thought is if heading right up to the Sunshine lift area, then I'd hit the Gondola and right to Spur Run and down to the Sundown Lift.

If Gondola lines are long, then maybe I'd give the Wild Blue Gondola a try and then the Thunderhead up. You'll have to do a bit of light polling from the Thunderhead, straight out a bit past the Thunderhead Lodge and then to Spur Run but it's not bad.

(There is an alternate method to get towards High Noon from the Storm Peak lift via Highline but it's far easier to catch Spur Run to the Sundown as this will drop you off higher on the "Tomahawk" side of things.)

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tiki

One item to note on the Sunshine lift runs, the Rendezvous Lodge is the restroom you'd use if needing facilities or near by food/break. One can get back to the Sunshine lift by using Spike from the Lodge.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
New "Wild Blue Gondola" to the Thunderhead
Oh yeah... I forgot they put in a new gondola. That looks to be an option too, though I also have not been there to see it, or know exactly where it drops you at.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh yeah... I forgot they put in a new gondola. That looks to be an option too, though I also have not been there to see it, or know exactly where it drops you at.
this year only to the beginner lesson area. will be great next year.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check this out ... from maps it's placed opposite from the Basher Bowl lift up on the hill. I suspect that the extra height allows those in ski school to ski the old rough rider area (that also has a new small quad for laps, which I'm guessing replaces the puck ski tow), Basher or once ready, take classes up the Wild Blue or Thunderhead.

Here's the master plan, Fishcreek Falls area sounds super - If not too tough for me:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI,

Steamboat Central Reservations confirmed that one can ski down to the Thunderhead from the Wild Blue Gondola ... yea!

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
FYI,

Steamboat Central Reservations confirmed that one can ski down to the Thunderhead from the Wild Blue Gondola ... yea!
I was there over Xmas and can confirm that I saw people doing exactly that as we made our way down from Christie to Thunderhead. We were going to do the same, but I was told by one of the yellow jacket ambassadors who was working the Christie base area that they weren't allowing folks to use Wild Blue as a direct access Thunderhead because they wanted to keep it focused on serving folks using the new learning area. No biggie and we complied with what seemed like a firm request vs an actual rule, but it was obvious that others were using it that way. Anyway, the snow was amazing that week. A little heavy but we weren't complaining with knee deep on the 28th. Once it got tracked out, flat light made things a little sporty.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was there over Xmas and can confirm that I saw people doing exactly that as we made our way down from Christie to Thunderhead. We were going to do the same, but I was told by one of the yellow jacket ambassadors who was working the Christie base area that they weren't allowing folks to use Wild Blue as a direct access Thunderhead because they wanted to keep it focused on serving folks using the new learning area. No biggie and we complied with what seemed like a firm request vs an actual rule, but it was obvious that others were using it that way. Anyway, the snow was amazing that week. A little heavy but we weren't complaining with knee deep on the 28th. Once it got tracked out, flat light made things a little sporty.
yeah, Steamboat's site notes their December snowfall is the most in 10 yrs.

I always try to coax folk into doing an early Dec trip ... but couldn't ... dang. However Feb has had great odds of weather opening up with snow (knocking on wood)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January