• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat raises tickets to $225 for safety

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

“Having that ticket price a little high over holidays, which are the periods we know are more popular, helps us reach our capacity limitation measure,” she said. “Pricing according to capacity expectations is a part of that whole plan to allow pass holders and package holders to ski and ride without reservation.”

Not in the article, Steamboat also raised the "Base Club" membership from ~$1,500 to $3,000 and marketed the fact that you will get to use the ski school line and avoid the gondola line.

if you dont want to read the entire article, read the comments for local reaction .

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well to be honest, I don't blame them. If you can charge more, go for it. Prices like that will likely limit my ability to fly out west to ski, 2 kids and all. We'll have to find some slum hills to go to. And that's ok..skiing will just get bumped down on the priority list. To those that can afford it, I salute you! :beercheer:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps the more noble thing to do would be to keep day tickets prices and same and further limit sales, or heck, stop selling day tickets and only let people with season passes on the mountain if the goal is really to limit crowds for COVID. But Steamboat, or Alterra, is a business, and if people are willing to pay $225 for a walk-up holiday ticket, why not charge that? Ultimately is boils down to supply and demand: despite what’s been said for years about flat skier growth, skier visits are clearly growing in places with rapidly increasing populations like Colorado, throw in COVID and the increased demand for outdoor recreation, and you get a situation where they can charge $225 for holiday walk-up day tickets.

We’ve had threads about the crazy prices of walk-up tickets before, so I won’t rehash al of those discussions here, but I will say this: the price of a walk-up ticket is less relevant now than it ever has been. When Alterra bought Steamboat, the season pass price went down, and that pass now includes access to some of the best mountains on the continent. Skiing is no longer a sport where you show up without doing your research and assume that walk-up prices will be reasonable. Like so many other events we go to or purchases we make, research is required to compare prices, look for deals, or buy tickets in advance. Lots of great deals exist, from Ikon/Epic or regular season passes for hardcore skiers, to quad packs or the Indy Pass for less regular skiers, to beginners or first-time skiers packages at some resorts, to simply deciding to forgo the most terrain or the fastest lifts and patronizing independent resorts in favor of the big guys. How much is a walk-up ticket at Cooper, or Monarch, or Loveland?

Of course, my last suggestion above gets more and more difficult as the demand for skiing in fast-growing areas of the country increase, and Vail and Alterra expand their footprints. Long-term, how do we keep skiing from becoming too expensive or too crowded, or at least more of both of these than it is now? In most industries, when demand outstrips supply, the answer is to increase supply. Build more ski areas. Give people more options, more choices. For a variety of reasons, this is difficult to impossible in the US.

What will the future hold? I’m feeling pessimistic. The rise of the cheap passes is making skiing, especially destination skiing, very affordable for hardcore skiers, but is contributing to rapid crowding. The backlash against these passes - for example, imagine if Jackson Hole or Alta pulled out of the Ikon Pass next year - could help with crowding and make locals happy...but the result would be that skiing becomes more expensive at these areas for many. How much do 5 lift tickets cost at JHMR or Alta, bought in advance, compared with what you paid for your Ikon Pass with all of your other usage factored in?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

“Having that ticket price a little high over holidays, which are the periods we know are more popular, helps us reach our capacity limitation measure,” she said. “Pricing according to capacity expectations is a part of that whole plan to allow pass holders and package holders to ski and ride without reservation.”

Not in the article, Steamboat also raised the "Base Club" membership from ~$1,500 to $3,000 and marketed the fact that you will get to use the ski school line and avoid the gondola line.

if you dont want to read the entire article, read the comments for local reaction .

Read the comments. Plenty of heat from all sides. :roflmao: Not surprised.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ I actually thought the comments were relatively mild compared to the stuff in the Summit Daily of late. Notice comments are no longer allowed in the SD?

I think all the big resorts were over $200 during the holiday. I can’t speak to all 3 areas RJS questions but Loveland requires advanced purchase and I heard today that Loveland was not selling day tickets for this weekend. Sold out?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

At least when Vail gouges you, they don’t tell you it’s for your own good.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So reading the article it states that in 2019 passes were $199/day which already seems ridiculous to me, was there no outrage at that price? So going from that to $225 is not unexpected, let's face it no one ever lowers their lift ticket prices, they go up every year, you can count on it. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is how they used Covid as the excuse, to me that is BS. By next season they will probably be at $250/day

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
That mountain isn’t worth that cost. I’m stuck skiing at areas connected to my season pass these days. The industry has effectively pushed me away from travel skiing anywhere else.

mountain biking or backpacking vacations are so much easier and affordable. Skiing is becoming quite the headache, especially with covid.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So reading the article it states that in 2019 passes were $199/day which already seems ridiculous to me, was there no outrage at that price? So going from that to $225 is not unexpected, let's face it no one ever lowers their lift ticket prices, they go up every year, you can count on it. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is how they used Covid as the excuse, to me that is BS. By next season they will probably be at $250/day

I dont know the exact data but there are many resorts in that pricing area now. of course, it really only applies to those who dont buy in advance or dont have Ikon/epic passes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
^ I actually thought the comments were relatively mild compared to the stuff in the Summit Daily of late. Notice comments are no longer allowed in the SD?

I think all the big resorts were over $200 during the holiday. I can’t speak to all 3 areas RJS questions but Loveland requires advanced purchase and I heard today that Loveland was not selling day tickets for this weekend. Sold out?

Yeah, totally :roflmao:

Have you seen the comments on the Vail Daily online? Vicious. :roflmao:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Yeah but paying $225 or even $200 for shitty conditions on limited terrain is ridiculous. But this season most people are able to cancel without penalty. Its not like they will be surprised by the lack of snow and terrain since the info is widely available.

You are also correct. The price is never lowered so that is the worry that even if they are raised this season due to covid the odds are they wont be lowered again unless demand falls so low that they are forced to do so.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online