• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat raises tickets to $225 for safety

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I think its pretty clear that if you are in the position where you can either sit it out or break the plastic out, most tourist will swipe that card. The resorts know people will pay. People dont generally make all their plans and then forget to buy a pass. Plans change, stays get extended, a storm comes in..

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
That mountain isn’t worth that cost. I’m stuck skiing at areas connected to my season pass these days. The industry has effectively pushed me away from travel skiing anywhere else.

mountain biking or backpacking vacations are so much easier and affordable. Skiing is becoming quite the headache, especially with covid.
Yeah but paying $225 or even $200 for shitty conditions on limited terrain is ridiculous. But this season most people are able to cancel without penalty. Its not like they will be surprised by the lack of snow and terrain since the info is widely available.

You are also correct. The price is never lowered so that is the worry that even if they are raised this season due to covid the odds are they wont be lowered again unless demand falls so low that they are forced to do so.

People had to pay $95 for a daily ticket to ski Camelback in the Poconos this weekend. I think Steamboat for $225 is a bargain compared to that.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't think Steamboat is $225 good. Everyone knows Vail with Vail and BC and ASC like to play the gouge 'em game but it sends a signal re premiumness. I don't think Steamboat is close to be honest and if the signal they are sending is that they consider themselves up there then there is a fair chance that the market interprets it as SS is longer for normal family vacations.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think Steamboat is $225 good. Everyone knows Vail with Vail and BC and ASC like to play the gouge 'em game but it sends a signal re premiumness. I don't think Steamboat is close to be honest and if the signal they are sending is that they consider themselves up there then there is a fair chance that the market interprets it as SS is longer for normal family vacations.

Steamboat has mirrored Vail and other CO resorts now for many years, this is nothing new. Its still very much a family resort and caters to families. (in a good way).

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Yeah but paying $225 or even $200 for shitty conditions on limited terrain is ridiculous. But this season most people are able to cancel without penalty. Its not like they will be surprised by the lack of snow and terrain since the info is widely available.

You are also correct. The price is never lowered so that is the worry that even if they are raised this season due to covid the odds are they wont be lowered again unless demand falls so low that they are forced to do so.
I think the real point is that these resorts will raise prices every year with or without Covid. Call it inflation, risk mitigation ... blah blah blah .... covid is just their justification for something that was likely already planned.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hear those $2k mountain bikes are actually made by unicorns ;-)
$2K mountains bikes are very common, they are usually entry level full suspension bikes.

$10K and higher mountain bikes, they are made by unicorns

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Man! $225 is steeeep! :eek:

We paid $199 for a 3-day pass on the Winter Wondergrass holiday weekend last season - yes it was a special w/ the music festival but still . . . I fell in love with Steamboat. We did pay $185 single day to make 4 ski days, but with such a great deal on the festival pass it was no problem. Doesn't look like we'll go back unless/until investing in a pass product (and Ikon is it for SB, yes?), which as a SouthEast skier I've only ever done once, Mountain Collective.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
People had to pay $95 for a daily ticket to ski Camelback in the Poconos this weekend. I think Steamboat for $225 is a bargain compared to that.
Wow, that’s insane. I guess city folk have that kind of money. I sure don’t.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I think the $225 daily lift ticket will keep me safer.
It's much safer in my living room than skiing Steamboat.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the real point is that these resorts will raise prices every year with or without Covid. Call it inflation, risk mitigation ... blah blah blah .... covid is just their justification for something that was likely already planned. Capitalism!

there, fixed it for ya!

I noted the Steamboat pricing in late December given we typically travel in Jan and was shocked but recalled last year was $199. One reason we buy passes or packages.

However with fewer skiers the cost is spread over fewer folks. Saddens me but I guess I can always hit other destinations, hope prices drop or ski fewer days and hit Howelsen ...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh,

other item I noted that was a bit more shocking was Lesson prices. We'd always sign the kids up for lessons, they were what I considered pricey at (using memory) ~$170/day (9:30 to 3 w/lunch break), up to 5 or maybe 6 kids but one could snag an add on lift for $30 (again via memory) which greatly offset costs.

They've went to $199 for 3hrs and an add on lift is $130.

I'd suspect if attending during a slow midweek, like we discovered your kid may be one of one, two or maybe 3 kids which could be a private or semiprivate lesson.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January