• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sold Steel 1999 Lemond Zurich, 53cm Compact, MINT. Unusual.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
IMG_4492.JPG

I posted this thread: https://www.SkiTalk.com/threads/lem...ying-to-gauge-interest-and-maybe-value.23210/ asking for some advice, and providing some details about this bike, which I bought new in 1999. It was my second Zurich, and it originally came with a triple crank. I barely rode it over the years, maybe 500 miles at most, probably less the more I think about it. I rode my 53/39 a LOT during those years.

I'm going to post more, later, with some exact details. Speaking of detail, I'll also detail the bike and take more pics.

This one is a 53cm, white, a great color. About nine years ago, I decided to convert it to a compact crank, and upgrade a lot of the components. I subsequently had a medical issue that resulted in my docs suggesting that I no longer ride.....on the rode. I kept the bike. My adult son is a pretty high level alpine coach, lives in the Rockies, and is built like me. He has five Zurichs. My other bike is his rain bike, he has two Ti frames, one with a compact set up. He has one set up as a fixed gear, and he has his original steel roadie. If the bike fits, these tend to have an enormous following. I thought he might want it. He has a white one. Doesn't need another.

The frame is built of Reynolds 853, which is great steel, and it's mint. It has a threaded steerer. Has the original Carbon fork, which rides really well. many veteran riders NEVER replace them. They work. The headset was upgraded to Dura Ace....the original bike was all Ultegra. The stem is a Nitto Pearl, and the bars are also Nitto. Japanese, and exceptional. Those were also all new nine years ago. The crank is a 50/34 compact Shimano Hollowtech. R700 SG-X. This was an early Shimano compact, before they actually branded them as DA, Ultegra, etc. It was their best. The crank arms are 172.5mm. The new crank required a new bottom bracket. I upgraded the F & R derailleurs to new DuraAce. It's a 9 speed drive right now. Two brand new cassettes: 12-23 and 12-25. Obviously a new chain. I also re-cabled the bike with Jagwire Kevlar cables.

Pedals are never used Ultegra. New nine years ago. At the time I also added a new Thomson seat post, a new Thomson seat collar, and my favorite saddle of the original time period, a new old stock leather Selle Italia Turbomatic2. Also added a pair of new King cages titanium bottle cages.

The Zurich of that year came with red Rolf wheels, which looked sort of cool and were just not great wheels. I replaced the wheelset when I did the compact conversion. It now has a pair of Mavic Aksium Race wheels, which are a very strong wheel. Nice upgrade. They were brand new, as were the Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires....which are 25mm tires. The Zurich actually was originally equipped with 25's, kind of unusual in 1999. There is room to go wider, for sure. As there is room to go to a 10 or 11 speed rear cassette.

BTW, the bike will also include the original, lightly used Utegra triple crank {also 172.5MM}, the Ultegra F&R derailleurs, and the bottom bracket. All of which have some value. They look great.

I've owned quite a few road bikes over my 65+ years. Some expensive Euro bikes: Merckx, Gios, Masi. All Campy. I have had had a couple of steel bikes built for me. One by Ben Serotta. I honestly think that none really road better, or were more enjoyable and comfortable to ride than the Zurich. The bikes are really special.

My wife and I have been in the process of downsizing, and the last thing that I need is a road bike that I can't ride to take up more space. So, I am sadly and relucantly selling it. I have thought about how best to do that. Obviously lots of options as to where. I thought I might start here, with this community. I'm not looking to be a "pig" if somebody here would like it. To be honest, if it goes to eBay or PinkBike, etc., I will price it high and hold out as it is pretty special. I hate the thought of somebody selling it all for parts, including the frame, though. The frame would likely sell for for $500+ alone.

I'm listing it here for $750. A lot of money for a 1999 steel bike, but no ordinary 1999 steelie. My LBS, local riding friends and others have advised me on this one. It will be priced higher if I go to the broader market. I will be a bit of a pig!

I do not want to make a dime on shipping. Lots of options there. I'm pretty sure that I can ship it most anywhere in the country for $150 at most. I can work our the exact details with a buyer based on location. Or......the bike can be picked up just North of Boston.

I'd love to see this go to somebody who will ride it. I put a lot of money and considerable thought and care into the conversion and upgrades nine years ago, and got to ride it about five miles. Maybe it was three, or eight. Was not ten! I finished it in November 2011, and then had my incident in in February. Yeah...sucked.

PM me if your interested and you'd like to talk it over.

I'll post pics when I get a chance to clean it up.....our weather is gross right now. May be a few days. It is beautiful.

Last edited:
TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
So.......no interest? No PM's? Nobody contemplating an offer?

As my son says......"The best value in a VERY good, usable, nice road bike.....that very few people even know about!" People who know the bikes tend to have some other steelies in the stable.

Doesn't anybody have a friend who NEEDS a bike set up like this, at this price? HaHa!

Cheers!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice bike, but.... most folks here who might be knowledgeable probably have a bike or two like this already. Mine is a Taylor custom steel. Understand also that, apart from folks like us, this is like trying to sell a nice BMW 2002 to an audience that thinks a Civic Type-R is the apex of of automotive development.

If you really want to sell it, try posting in local Craigslist. There are no bikes to be bought in stores this year. I sold my well-used Centurion Dave Scott Ironman with original beat-up components for $450 last summer to a young guy who wanted to ride but could not find a bike in any of the local stores. These folks won't appreciate the particular nature of the bike...but they want something to ride and will pay for it.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Nice bike, but.... most folks here who might be knowledgeable probably have a bike or two like this already. Mine is a Taylor custom steel. Understand also that, apart from folks like us, this is like trying to sell a nice BMW 2002 to an audience that thinks a Civic Type-R is the apex of of automotive development.

If you really want to sell it, try posting in local Craigslist. There are no bikes to be bought in stores this year. I sold my well-used Centurion Dave Scott Ironman with original beat-up components for $450 last summer to a young guy who wanted to ride but could not find a bike in any of the local stores. These folks won't appreciate the particular nature of the bike...but they want something to ride and will pay for it.

:P

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Wow, @Bill Talbot! Every time that I see a post including your bike collection {all of which you do ride, I believe?} I'm just impressed, jealous and drooling. Beautiful, classic bikes!

Now if you were about 6" shorter, and wanted a white, production 853 1999 bike in the mint condition that would fit into your stable......Haha. Could be your most "pedestrian" bike.

Thanks for sharing.....hopefully for those selling there aren't "too many" with a collection like yours!

Whenever I see your bikes, I think of many of the bikes that I owned, and let go. I sold three great bikes in 1982 to help come up with the down payment on a house. Miss one in particular.

Cheers.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier

As someone who has owned 3 2002’s (71,72,and 73,) and numerous Campy equipped steel frames ( Italian) , I think you are onto something.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I had that frame (also that saddle). Loved it. Good bike. The frame may still be in use - I gave it away. Too old and too ridden to sell - I raced it for a number of years, then it became my winter training bike.

$800 is way too much except for a very particular buyer as tch says. Maybe someone who really knows bikes who wants a sturdy road bike for fast commuting w/o fenders. But for that money for athletic riding someone could a new bike that would objectively perform just as well or better. Might not last as long (that frame is bombproof) or have the real racing geometry of that bike but would feel at least as nice.

I'd urge you to put on the cheapest safe/working old parts you have and sell it like tch says - for someone who wants transport. Or loan it to some newbie who lacks cash, with the proviso they care for it and return it or pass it on.

Or even give it away.

Don't include those cages when you sell it - their value would be lost on most purchasers.

Last edited:
TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
My son, mid-thirties, is a very high level race coach and a very "avid" cyclist of all sorts. He currently rides 5 Lemond frames of this vintage. One is his original 2000 853 Zurich, his 14th birthday present {his 15th was a well sorted Santa Cruz Blur}. That bike had had every component replaced more than once, and is his rain bike these days. He thinks he has 30K+ miles on the frame. He has two other steel 853's, one set up as a fixed gear, one with the widest tires he could fit, used as a gravel bike. Had two Ti frames {same geometry} ; one is a compact. One is his long tome workhorse. The frame geometry fits, and he can't get a better bang for his buck. We gave him an Independent Fabrication Steel bike, all DA, for a college graduation gift, and he never loved the ride and sold it.

I just listed it on Craigslist this AM, at $750. We'll see what happens. Guess I need to get serious about selling...and not be a pig.

One thing that is pretty sad for me is that I had always hoped to be road biking like a madman around here until my near last days. I learned how to ride as a kid when we lived in Switzerland. My dad's business let me tag around with him at some very special sports events.....including the one day classics, TdF, Giro, Tour de Suisse, etc.

When I bought this bike, {or frame....the rest has been replaced}, the guy who owned our LBS said "I want you to hop on this, and we'll just see how it fits. I have a hunch....." and yeah, it fit perfectly. The only frame that fit as well was a custom Serotta, which I lent to our son, and which was stolen.

Anybody interested? I'd rather sell it to somebody in this community than to some unknown dweeb on eBay!

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I had that frame (also that saddle). Loved it. Good bike. The frame may still be in use - I gave it away. Too old and too ridden to sell - I raced it for a number of years, then it became my winter training bike.

$800 is way too much except for a very particular buyer as tch says. Maybe someone who really knows bikes who wants a sturdy road bike for fast commuting w/o fenders. But for that money for athletic riding someone could a new bike that would objectively perform just as well or better. Might not last as long (that frame is bombproof) or have the real racing geometry of that bike but would feel at least as nice.

I'd urge you to put on the cheapest safe/working old parts you have and sell it like tch says - for someone who wants transport. Or loan it to some newbie who lacks cash, with the proviso they care for it and return it or pass it on.

Or even give it away.

Don't include those cages when you sell it - their value would be lost on most purchasers.

Thanks for your opinions, and advice. Not my first rodeo with this stuff, at my age. And yeah, I am looking for the special buyer. But not that special....or the price would be higher, and I'd have it listed EVERYWHERE.

Have you seen who people are paying for Lemond Frames on Ebay? Just the frame? And not in this condition, this size, this color...

Not sure how many have seriously looked at used bikes lately either. My son in law just sold a beat to crap Orbea, about 12 years old that I would venture to say has a real limited life to that frame {he is amazed that it has lasted}.....with very used Ultegra/105 components for something like $700.

I'm hoping that things like the cages show a buyer that I knew what they hell I was doing when setting this up {BTW the cage bolts are Ti, too}, and that somebody might think this is the unicorn that they'd like. I have one guy somewhat interested who's older than I am and has a LOT of miles under his belt. A lot of bikes, and both a 300SL and an E-type Jag in his 8 car garage. Likes steel, and "just likes the look of this bike." Who knows?

My family gurus mention: "Have you seen the complete SHIT being sold, beat to crap, and the prices?? It's just nuts."

If it was a bigger frame it would have been shipped to one son in law in CO, or to my niece's husband in MT.

But, for some perhaps dumb reason I don't want to break it apart.........

Funny to see what used anything sells for, high and low, these days. I have a friend who just sold her late mother's car, because none of her family wanted it. 2008 E350 4matic Mercedes Wagon. 125K miles. I would say beyond mint. Always dealer maintained, no body work, in a heated garage. Mom spend winters at her house in the Caribbean. They sold it for, I think, $4500. I did not know they were selling it. I would have jumped on it, at that price

I have another friend who just sold an E500, basically the same car in a crappier color, with 200k+ miles, and needing some real work, for $12K. Low and high. The used car market here is pretty insane, too.

As my son said....if you had $750, or close.....what else are you going to buy, particularly if you are a fan of steel? I don't know.

And you guys can do the math on the components.....New pedals? $200. New Seat Post and clamp? $135. New DA Derailleurs F&R? $400+ It all adds up........Unused Nitto bars and stem? Unused DA headset. Granted it's old style, old school, but it's the best and unused. So it has some value.....I think.

Unused wheelset and tires. The unused crank and bottom bracket? The like new saddle? Even that could be sold in a day on Ebay for $50-60-70+

Plus the original Ultegra Triple set-up?

Maybe it has to be broken up of nobody sees $750 of value in it all. Particularly if I can unload the frame pretty easily for $400 or more....

Guess we'll see. Seems like probably no interest here. Which I can understand. NOBODY wants anything but and insane deal here, HaHa. Unless it's the crew that thinks that Stockli is the guaranteed route to becoming a great skier {which is interesting to say the least....} Maybe I need Stockli signage on the bike?? Or Augment? I think I may have missed the Renoun window!

Yep. We shall see. I might be totally irrational on this....would NOT be the first time!

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I think Stocki makes bikes...I know Augment does.

There are Stockli branded bikes as well. @Philpug.

In fact, I don't think that I have ever seen a pic of a top level WC skier on a road bike that was not "branded" with his ski company name......

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
And you guys can do the math on the components.....New pedals? $200. New Seat Post and clamp? $135. New DA Derailleurs F&R? $400+ It all adds up........Unused Nitto bars and stem? Unused DA headset. Granted it's old style, old school, but it's the best and unused. So it has some value.....I think.

Unused wheelset and tires. The unused crank and bottom bracket? The like new saddle? Even that could be sold in a day on Ebay for $50-60-70+

Plus the original Ultegra Triple set-up?
Got it - you clearly know what you're doing very well. Congratulations.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Got it - you clearly know what you're doing very well. Congratulations.

Not so fast. I have not sold a bike in this kind of market, let alone a bike that may appeal to one in 100 buyers. I'm getting all sorts of conflicting info and advice. From people who even know the bike or have worked on it, and know how "anal" I am about pretty much everything: skis, bikes, motorcycles, boats, cars....houses.

I clearly AM not on top of this situation, as the market is pretty nutty. And as of right now, I do have people in touch via CL.

And the prices that my friends, and family have sold older stuff for this year seem insane to me. I'll give you ONE example. My son sold a Fat Chance Buckshaver, converted 14 years ago to a townie single speed, No garage queen at all. Somebody asked him it he'd "take $1000 for it." Ahh, yeah, he did. The most valuable part of the bike was the fork.

I'm not trying to be a pig. Have a lot in this. But it's hard to figure it out....without feeling like a pig. And we have not been pigs with anything else that's shot up in price since COVID.

Less Cynicism never hurts, either. OK?

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son, mid-thirties, is a very high level race coach and a very "avid" cyclist of all sorts. He currently rides 5 Lemond frames of this vintage. One is his original 2000 853 Zurich, his 14th birthday present {his 15th was a well sorted Santa Cruz Blur}. That bike had had every component replaced more than once, and is his rain bike these days. He thinks he has 30K+ miles on the frame. He has two other steel 853's, one set up as a fixed gear, one with the widest tires he could fit, used as a gravel bike. Had two Ti frames {same geometry} ; one is a compact. One is his long tome workhorse. The frame geometry fits, and he can't get a better bang for his buck. We gave him an Independent Fabrication Steel bike, all DA, for a college graduation gift, and he never loved the ride and sold it.

I just listed it on Craigslist this AM, at $750. We'll see what happens. Guess I need to get serious about selling...and not be a pig.

One thing that is pretty sad for me is that I had always hoped to be road biking like a madman around here until my near last days. I learned how to ride as a kid when we lived in Switzerland. My dad's business let me tag around with him at some very special sports events.....including the one day classics, TdF, Giro, Tour de Suisse, etc.

When I bought this bike, {or frame....the rest has been replaced}, the guy who owned our LBS said "I want you to hop on this, and we'll just see how it fits. I have a hunch....." and yeah, it fit perfectly. The only frame that fit as well was a custom Serotta, which I lent to our son, and which was stolen.

Anybody interested? I'd rather sell it to somebody in this community than to some unknown dweeb on eBay!

It's a beautiful bike fitted with top gear. It's worth every penny you're asking and more. Not sure why it's not selling when utter junk is selling for more. I'd jump on if I didn't have a custom steel Serotta that I don't use enough already. Good luck!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would buy this in a heartbeat if I didn't need all available cash for a real estate purchase coming up. The right buyer is out there, you may just have to throw a wide net to find him/her

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
BTW, the bike will also include the original, lightly used Utegra triple crank {also 172.5MM}, the Ultegra F&R derailleurs, and the bottom bracket. All of which have some value. They look great.

If the Craigslist shopper doesn't want the Octalink parts, I have a good use for them (a different Lemond).

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Bike has been sold.
Found a real unicorn, multiple Lemond owner who wanted a 1999 in the white color to commemorate LeMond's World Championship win....in Zurich.
And....somebody who had thought about converting one of his bikes to a compact, and had nearly bought a frame a couple of weeks ago.
His purchase price was much more than I had expected. Paid my asking price {higher than my asking price here} without hesitation. Rode it about 500 yards out and back from our driveway, Venmo'd me the money, and drove off.

So no SkiTalk buyer, but a nice guy. Thanks for all of the encouragement, advice and such here.

@cantunamunch, sent you a PM. The sale did NOT include the Ultegra triple crank, BB, and derailleurs. Also did not include a brand new in box Ultegra 9 speed 12-23 cassette.

Thanks!