• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stelvio bans rim brakes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1648828154590.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, a rim brake actually is a disc brake of sorts...... :ogbiggrin:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I can't blame him.

I spent half a month this winter ruing the decision to use disc brakes on those days at those times.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rim brakes, what are those? Oh yeah, I see all the old timers with those on their velocipedes... :roflmao:

Rubbing Shimano discs are the least of the Peloton's issue with Shimano right now.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not a disc brake doubter. Have had them on the MTB forever and more recently on the road bike, and would not go back.

However, Froome does make a good point about the pad retraction thing. They always seem so lazy and inconsistent (left vs. right). Have never really understood why that is such a sticking point (sorry). For one thing, why are the springs that push the pads back into the calipers so weak?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Rim brakes, what are those? Oh yeah, I see all the old timers with those on their velocipedes... :roflmao:

Rubbing Shimano discs are the least of the Peloton's issue with Shimano right now.
Yah, this guy is ANCIENT! Remember way back when this happened?? :ogbiggrin:
1649544668000.png

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am not a disc brake doubter. Have had them on the MTB forever and more recently on the road bike, and would not go back.

However, Froome does make a good point about the pad retraction thing. They always seem so lazy and inconsistent (left vs. right). Have never really understood why that is such a sticking point (sorry). For one thing, why are the springs that push the pads back into the calipers so weak?

F*ck if I know. That was not a joke or hyperbole above - on 15 of ~80 ride days Jan-Mar of 2022 I lost discs either because they wouldn't retract and I had to ride/glaze them out of lockup to get home, or they simply stuck partway closed.

The ancient Weinmann center pulls with Kool Stop pads were more reliable and therefore more effective.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Been riding disc only for 5 years now under all conditions, never had more than some minor rub. I've had to prise the pads open once or twice because yours truly accidentally pulled the left brake handle with the rim off. I have more problems with tubeless systems. YMMV?

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yah, this guy is ANCIENT! Remember way back when this happened?? :ogbiggrin:
View attachment 165926
I am reminded why I never invested in CF rims with the fancy brake tracks. I met a chap from NZ that was visiting town. He had brought his bike with him and it had a nice set of Zipp CF rims. On the descent on Mount Soledad, his brake track heated up sufficiently to cause serious warping. He was riding another day or two so I loaned him a front wheel for his remaining rides.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have no experience with road bike discs, but on mtb there's actually pretty big difference between different manufacturers. While there was simply no way to get my old Formula R1 (not really cheapest thing) brakes and discs to run without rubbing (for me it was more problem annoying noise this rubbing made then power loss), I have absolutely no issues with Shimano XT brakes. They might develop small rubbing after long descent when they heat up, but after 15 or 20sec they are all good and all rubbing is gone. I don't know what difference it really matters, as I have different brakes and different discs, but I would actually say it's discs that matter more then brake calipers, but I'm nowhere near to be sure. I currently use Shimano discs, which are steel/alu/steel sandwich, so this might make difference compared to discs I used on rubbing Formula R1, and were full steel discs.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no experience with road bike discs, but on mtb there's actually pretty big difference between different manufacturers. While there was simply no way to get my old Formula R1 (not really cheapest thing) brakes and discs to run without rubbing (for me it was more problem annoying noise this rubbing made then power loss), I have absolutely no issues with Shimano XT brakes. They might develop small rubbing after long descent when they heat up, but after 15 or 20sec they are all good and all rubbing is gone. I don't know what difference it really matters, as I have different brakes and different discs, but I would actually say it's discs that matter more then brake calipers, but I'm nowhere near to be sure. I currently use Shimano discs, which are steel/alu/steel sandwich, so this might make difference compared to discs I used on rubbing Formula R1, and were full steel discs.
I had the R1 on a bike for a long time (7 years?) and never had an issue. I think you're right about the rotors, and I think you might somehow have ended up with the wrong ones. The reason I say this is that I never had success with off the shelf replacement rotors. Shop said they were too thick. I didn't have a good pair of measuring calipers at the time, so I take their word for it. But the OEM ones worked fine.

Sponsor

Staff online