• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stenmark Interview

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s from September, but a fun read for a few of us who saw him racing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s from September, but a fun read for a few of us who saw him racing.

The times when SL skis were like 3 meters long :ogbiggrin:

I was a kid but this is a name I will never forget, my parents just would not shut up how Stenmark is the best-est-est in the history of the history of the universe.:roflmao:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
my parents just would not shut up how Stenmark is the best-est-est in the history of the history of the universe.:roflmao:
Yeah, your parents were correct, I don't know why you are 'laughing'. When the FIS invents new events and changes the scoring to stop you from dominating, well... you're the G.O.A.T. The man won 37% of the races he entered, he was top 3 in 66%. G.O.A.T.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, your parents were correct, I don't know why you are 'laughing'.

Sorry, I meant no disrespect, I just remembered the talks. I didn't mean he wasn't. I vaguely remember him from the later stages of his career 86-87 I believe but at that time I was only interested in what will Zurbriggen do.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just happened to post this photo in another thread minutes ago.
C6CD0859-C0A7-4DC8-9FE2-BE2516173119.jpeg

I got to watch him race a few times during his career but this was one of those races where he won by multiple seconds!

It looks like this article was written in 2020 but it says his next closest competitors for the most World Cup wins only 50 and 54 times? I am pretty sure that Von, Hirscher, and Shiffrin have surpassed that! Anyone else?

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just happened to post this photo in another thread minutes ago.
View attachment 133172

I got to watch him race a few times during his career but this was one of those races where he won by multiple seconds!

It looks like this article was written in 2020 but it says his next closest competitors for the most World Cup wins only 50 and 54 times? I am pretty sure that Von, Hirscher, and Shiffrin have surpassed that! Anyone else?

Probably a cook-up of some old material. It was published for Elans 75 year anniversary.
I really liked that his tech had done some calculations and figured that the accumulated time Ingemar had spent (literally) on a world cup podudium was about six months.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hirscher: 67
Vonn: 82
Shiffrin: 69
Not to mention this was in times, when there were quite few races a season less then there are in current times, and he never did downhill (no SG in those times). Ok that one Kitz downhill doesn't really count :) So all his 86 victories are SL and GS only. And yes, he still, at least in my mind, and also based on stats, the greatest ever.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, your parents were correct, I don't know why you are 'laughing'. When the FIS invents new events and changes the scoring to stop you from dominating, well... you're the G.O.A.T. The man won 37% of the races he entered, he was top 3 in 66%. G.O.A.T.
And in addition to inventing a new discipline they (FIS) also adjusted and expanded the schedule to make it even more difficult for him to win the overall.
I guess there were some in Europe in the sport who were put out by a Swede dominating "their" sport .
Imagine if there was a faction within the FIS that sought to change the format to prevent a superstar like Shiffrin or Hirscher from winning too many events.
And yet Stenmark continued, without complaining, to compete and rack up wins. In total I think he raced 1974-75 to 1988-89, 15 WC seasons.

Sponsor

Staff online