• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stereo Skis: The Ones That Go to 11

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Unless you are skiing a sub-300 foot vertical hill, I see no reason to go any shorter.
WROD or Christmas week at bigger places are crowded enough to where GS style turns are ill advised most of the day.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To each their own. I've had some of my best and brightest carving runs on cheater slalom skis at Sun Valley, on uncrowded mornings, on ~3,000 vertical foot Warm Springs!
I agree. We are seeing a lot of new entries to the Premium 80mm +/- category and they all have different personalities and they are all good.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Stay tuned for a perspective on Stereo's offerings from the East Coast as well.... These are unusual skis built with a purpose and goal...constructed by one of the newest, freshly-equiped, all-renewable energy powered ski factories in Scandinavia.

DSC07119.JPG

From L to R: Stereo Piste RS, Stereo Piste V3, Stereo Apex
DSC07090.JPG

Stereo Piste RS Tip Detail
IMG_1389.jpeg

Finch_PisteRS_IMG_6905.JPG

Brian F. pushing hero snow around in Vermont.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Heat and pressure make the rubber more impact and abrasion resistant. They've been using vulcanized rubber for skate shoe soles for over a decade now..

Here's Vulcan at work..

Marshal

Booting up
Industry Insider
I had heard that Marshal had jumped away from the ski business after his time with DPS. Not surprised to see him back at it. He's one of the good ones...

Cheers man! Thanks for the kind words. Been sitting on the sidelines the last 3 years charging up. Excited to be back on the playing field :)

I just got done looking at their website the RS 78 looks like a great ski. I see that they make it a 175 that is 76 under foot and 17M. I bet that would be a good ski for the East Coast hard pack and ice. The tip of the ski is interesting it looks familiar wasn't there another manufacture using that style tip? I am not sure if I missed it or the information about tip rocker was not posted? The plate on the RS 78 only fits a Marker? Are any other plates available?

Hello! Just to quickly confirm, the ski, at present, is only offered with the Piston plate. Honestly, I think it skis awesome with it, and the bindings are very readily available. That said, I am sure if you message the customer service line at stereoskis.com, there may be other options, but it would be a one-off (the plates are drilled and mounted at production).

Just a quick thought, does a 17M ski seem long for a 76 under foot? Many of the 76 UF skis are in the 14M skis?

I do think the "gentleman's GS" terminology someone used in the other thread matches the snow feel, for what it's worth.

How is their vulcanized rubber any different than the VDS that almost any other ski builder utilizes?

I replied in the other thread too, but in case anyone sees this, the VDS material itself is not particularly special. Most skis use narrow strips on the edge to prevent delams. Full length and width however is (a) quite expensive and (b) skis amazingly well on firm or rough snow. Very few brands use full-sheet VDS in commercially available skis.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Cut polygons have been used as a styling feature for a while; the one I usually think of is the Head Turbine series.

View attachment 123179
These are very distinct, the ones I am thinking were not as sharp angles. I do like the look, but we are not supposed to be looking at our tips when skiing.

Uncle-A

Skier
Cheers man! Thanks for the kind words. Been sitting on the sidelines the last 3 years charging up. Excited to be back on the playing field :)

Hello! Just to quickly confirm, the ski, at present, is only offered with the Piston plate. Honestly, I think it skis awesome with it, and the bindings are very readily available. That said, I am sure if you message the customer service line at stereoskis.com, there may be other options, but it would be a one-off (the plates are drilled and mounted at production).

I do think the "gentleman's GS" terminology someone used in the other thread matches the snow feel, for what it's worth.

I replied in the other thread too, but in case anyone sees this, the VDS material itself is not particularly special. Most skis use narrow strips on the edge to prevent delams. Full length and width however is (a) quite expensive and (b) skis amazingly well on firm or rough snow. Very few brands use full-sheet VDS in commercially available skis.
Thanks @Marshal, I look forward to a Demo day here in the East. Are there any Demo days scheduled? If not this season maybe next.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC my VO Slalom skis had a rubber layer.

I'm ready to re-live my youth!

Uncle-A

Skier
Great question. Which model/length are you keen to try? Where are you located?
The RS 78 in 175 CM looks like the best for the NE. I am in NJ and ski both the Poconos and the Catskills. I would be interested in a Demo day next season after I get my vaccine shots.

Uncle-A

Skier
Just a general question, what base and side bevel do they leave the factory with and does Stereo recommend that they get tuned before using?

Marshal

Booting up
Industry Insider
Just a general question, what base and side bevel do they leave the factory with and does Stereo recommend that they get tuned before using?

Just confirming if there is a difference between the Piste and Freeride wrapper tunes. I will update this post once I confirm this.

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
These Piste V3 88 look very promising and peak my interest!! Look forward to more info and reviews. Would also love to see a demo opportunity here on the east!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
V3/88 looks very intriguing.

I am of Norsk heritage, and willing to test these skis!

Just quoting myself. What I find interesting about the V3/88 is that the "pure" carvers I've owned in the 80-84 are OK off piste, but only OK. The Enforcer 88s I currently ski a lot are really fun everywhere, but could use just a wee bit more juice -- or should I say Kjus?! -- on the groomers.

I wonder if this ski might hit that target, and still be a blast in packed off-piste and bumps?

Sponsor