• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Looking to tap the knowledge base of the more tech-oriented folks here that deal with binding mounts/adjustment, etc.. Can you tell me how much adjustability there is in the 2105 STH2 WTR13 binding? Looking to see how much room there is to adjust for a different BSL without a remount. Also, is the adjustability only in one of the pieces (heel/toe) or both?

Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking to tap the knowledge base of the more tech-oriented folks here that deal with binding mounts/adjustment, etc.. Can you tell me how much adjustability there is in the 2105 STH2 WTR13 binding? Looking to see how much room there is to adjust for a different BSL without a remount. Also, is the adjustability only in one of the pieces (heel/toe) or both?

Thanks.
IIRC, 28mm (or close to it), one of the best tracks in the industry, almost 3 boot sizes. The adjustment comes only from the heel. The Warden uses the same heel, so it has the same range. If you are looking for a toe adjustment option, a demo binding is really your only choice until the Warden Demo is released next season.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Thank you! So for rough estimation, if the heel is adjusted for a larger BSL by, for example, 20mm, is that equivalent to the mounting point having been essentially moved back by 1/2 of that amount, or 10mm? In other words, is that like the mounting point being -1cm from pre-adjustment?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you! So for rough estimation, if the heel is adjusted for a larger BSL by, for example, 20mm, is that equivalent to the mounting point having been essentially moved back by 1/2 of that amount, or 10mm? In other words, is that like the mounting point being -1cm from pre-adjustment?
Exactly, so of you are expecting to have to adjust up to a larger shell, you might want to mount slightly forward, a smaller shell, slightly back. The more technical of a ski, the more this will have an effect. 20mm is a lot, that is like going from a 26.5 to a 28.5, is this for yourself or so you can share the ski with someone else?

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Sharing the ski with others and/or selling it.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I'd use AAAtack demo bindings. IMO best demo binding on the planet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd use AAAtack demo bindings. IMO best demo binding (currently offered) on the planet.

FIFY. I agree. I previewed the new Salomon/Atomic Warden Demo that is upcoming, that looks damn good too. It looks to be beefier with similar ease of adjustability.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
What I really like about the AAAtack demo is that the heel and toe are not connected, so a bit lighter and doesn't kill the flex underfoot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I really like about the AAAtack demo is that the heel and toe are not connected, so a bit lighter and doesn't kill the flex underfoot.
The Wardens will be a separate toe and heel too.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
will the wardens be up on the shop site to purchase?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

Exactly, so of you are expecting to have to adjust up to a larger shell, you might want to mount slightly forward, a smaller shell, slightly back. The more technical of a ski, the more this will have an effect. 20mm is a lot, that is like going from a 26.5 to a 28.5, is this for yourself or so you can share the ski with someone else?

A gentle reminder to @Ron that the above is further documentation to our discussions last year, and, the first pitcher of beer in Aspen is on you.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Question about the Aaattack Demos: My husband got a pair of JJ 2.0s mounted with these. The toe piece on both skis has just a little play on top the rail; the rail is solid. I asked at another shop (didn't notice it when I bought them) and they said it wasn't uncommon with demo bindings. But my skis with demo Marker bindings don't have this issue. Safety issue? Just the way it is? Maybe some screws are loose?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question about the Aaattack Demos: My husband got a pair of JJ 2.0s mounted with these. The toe piece on both skis has just a little play on top the rail; the rail is solid. I asked at another shop (didn't notice it when I bought them) and they said it wasn't uncommon with demo bindings. But my skis with demo Marker bindings don't have this issue. Safety issue? Just the way it is? Maybe some screws are loose?
Again it is not uncommon any time there is a adjustable rail system. The question is, is there movement when the boot is the binding?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Again it is not uncommon any time there is a adjustable rail system. The question is, is there movement when the boot is the binding?

Agreed. Marker's demo system is pretty bomber.

Most bindings that tie the toe to the heel don't affect ski flex as much as you'd think. They are tied together with the heel being totally free to move with flex, and maintain distance between the toe and heel so the forward pressure is less taxed. Flex a ski without a boot in it with this type of system and you'll probably see the heel move back to accommodate the flex. A fine example is the Freeflex system from Tyrlolia. Ditto Atomic's race bindings, both the older and the new X-series. The heel is connected to the connecting system and glides in the heel track.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Good question. I'll find out when my husband finally gets his boots in these skis. His knee has been an issue again =/

Most bindings that tie the toe to the heel don't affect ski flex as much as you'd think. They are tied together with the heel being totally free to move with flex, and maintain distance between the toe and heel so the forward pressure is less taxed. Flex a ski without a boot in it with this type of system and you'll probably see the heel move back to accommodate the flex. A fine example is the Freeflex system from Tyrlolia. Ditto Atomic's race bindings, both the older and the new X-series. The heel is connected to the connecting system and glides in the heel track.

I'm not quite sure I follow. In the Aaattack demo, there are two separate rails, one for toe and one for heel. I assume when you talk about the binding tying the toe to the heel, you mean one big rail, not this one which has separate rails for toe and heel?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The toe is fixed, either in a track or just screwed to the ski. The heel is in a track and connected by a strap or device to the heel. As the ski flexes, the heel slides in the track but maintains a fixed distance from the toe. I'll post a picture later.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The toe is fixed, either in a track or just screwed to the ski. The heel is in a track and connected by a strap or device to the heel. As the ski flexes, the heel slides in the track but maintains a fixed distance from the toe. I'll post a picture later.
Oh. Gotcha. If it didn't, then the distance would be too short when the ski flexes, right?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The toe is fixed to the ski and cannnot move. The heel is in a track that permits it to slide. The heel is attached to the strap by the forward pressure adjusting mechanism. As the ski flexes the strap keeps the distance from the heel to toe the same since the heel piece slides in the track.

Bindings that have no connection between the toe and heel rely solely on the forward pressure mechanism to provide enough range of movement when the ski flexes. That is why forward pressure on these bindings is so critical. Too much FP and your boot will jam the binding when the ski decambers. This can break the binding or force the toe to start to release.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online