• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Stio1.jpg

I picked up the Stio Environ last season while looking for the “perfect” Colorado ski jacket. I have 30+ days in it while skiing a different brand for comparison. Based in Jackson, WY, Stio has clearly designed a jacket for skiers, by skiers.

The shell is made from Dermizax, a durable 150-denier fabric with a 20,000mm waterproof, 10,000g breathability PU laminate. It has withstood every condition I have skied in, including blower storms and sub-zero temps. It’s been waterproof and about 100% windproof (in CO, you don’t really need waterproof). The Environ breathes adequately, and at no time have I felt clammy while skiing, but unlike some fabrics, it doesn’t allow too much heat to escape. The fabric is bomber: it's on the stiffer side but not crinkly or uncomfortable. I have not experienced any tears or pulls even after skiing aspens and evergreens. Visually, fit and finish are as good as (or better than) any other high-end technical shell. Sealed seams are clean and precise, as are the junctions of zippers and materials.

There is just the right number of pockets, which are placed thoughtfully. The double chest pockets provide plenty of room to store a phone in one pocket and gear or an RFID pass in the other side without interfering with the reader. Stio also placed the interior pocket below the exterior chest pocket, permitting you to use both pockets simultaneously without having the contents stack on top of each other (a pet peeve of mine). The interior has a zippered pocket (which will accommodate a larger phone) and a stow pouch; I can fit an extra lens or glove liners in the pouch. Hand pockets are large enough to carry skins.

The YKK zippers work well. I like the underappreciated functionality of a double zipper because it is perfect for unzipping only the bottom of the jacket for nature breaks or accessing pants pockets without exposing your entire core. Another nice detail is zipper pulls that are easy to operate with gloves on. Pit zips are generously long, allowing quick heat dumps.

Note attention to detail: zipper pulls, tight sealed seams, soft fleece collar.

stio2.jpg
stioinside.jpg

Inside of the Environ.

The overall shape is roomy but not boxy. Sleeve and hem length are ideal. For reference, I’m 6 ft 168 lb with a 32-in. waist and 41-in. chest, and the large fits me well with extra room for movement and layering. I like sleeves long enough that they won't expose my wrists when I extend my arms, and I like the hem to be long enough that it covers my butt when I sit on a lift. The fleece-lined collar is also well-designed; it is separate from the hood, allowing it to function better, and high enough to protect your chin and mouth in cold and wind. The hood is large enough that you can pull it over a helmet without unzipping the jacket. It has good peripheral vision and adjustability, too. Finally, there is a fixed powder skirt, something I personally can do without, but many appreciate this.

If you are searching for the MacGyver of jackets, look no further. Even at full $439 MSRP, the Environ is a great value.
  • Who is it for? Any skier who is looking for a high-quality, versatile jacket. Especially useful for those who ski off piste and need a bomber-quality shell with features designed for anything nature can throw at you.
  • Who is it not for? Those who ski in more moderate conditions with high humidity
  • Insider tip. Save some money and watch for Stio's "Save 10%" coupons by signing up for its newsletter and Active Junky savings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Going all in with STIO this year and will have some "notes' to share with the community in few weeks.

Environ Jacket
Azura XT
Wilcox Fleece Hoodie

One thing I already dislike about Environ jacket is lack of sleeve pocket for the ski pass. I could be wrong but many of the places where I ski - sleeve pocket does the job. That little sleeve pocket is perfect for the pass, not with other stuff in chest or inner pockets and it is easier to "wave" your hand at the not so responsive RFID reader ... we'll see ...

Azura XT got all the compliments "in town" so far - can't wait to test it as a mid layer. Sleek, sleek, sleek piece of winter clothing.

Fleece quality will be determined after the first wash (critical to me is how much garment retains feel of "new" after the first wash).

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 55756

I picked up the Stio Environ last season while looking for the “perfect” Colorado ski jacket. I have 30+ days in it while skiing a different brand for comparison. Based in Jackson, WY, Stio has clearly designed a jacket for skiers, by skiers.

The shell is made from Dermizax, a durable 150-denier fabric with a 20,000mm waterproof,10,000g breathability PU laminate. It has withstood every condition I have skied in, including blower storms and sub-zero temps. It’s been waterproof and about 100% windproof (in CO, you don’t really need waterproof). The Environ breathes adequately, and at no time have I felt clammy while skiing, but unlike some fabrics, it doesn’t allow too much heat to escape. The fabric is bomber: it's on the stiffer side but not crinkly or uncomfortable. I have not experienced any tears or pulls even after skiing aspens and evergreens. Visually, fit and finish are as good as (or better than) any other high-end technical shell. Sealed seams are clean and precise, as are the junction of zippers and materials.

There is just the right number of pockets, which are placed thoughtfully. The double chest pockets provide plenty of room to store a phone in one pocket and gear or a RFID pass in the other side without interfering with the reader. Stio also placed the interior pocket below the exterior chest pocket, permitting you to use both pockets simultaneously without having the contents stack on top of each other (a pet peeve of mine). The interior has a zippered pocket (which will accommodate a larger phone) and a stow pouch; I can fit an extra lens or glove liners in the pouch. Hand pockets are large enough to carry skins.

The YKK zippers work well. I like the underappreciated functionality of a double zipper because it is perfect for unzipping only the bottom of the jacket for nature breaks or accessing pants pockets without exposing your entire core. Another nice detail is zipper pulls that are easy to operate with gloves on. Pit zips are generously long, allowing quick heat dumps.

View attachment 55757
View attachment 55754
Inside of the Environ.
The overall shape is roomy but not boxy. Sleeve and hem length are ideal. For reference, I’m 6 ft 168 lb with a 32-in. waist 41" chest , and the large fits me well with extra room for movement and layering. I like sleeves long enough that they won't expose my wrists when I extend my arms, and I like the hem to be long enough that it covers my butt when I sit on a lift. The fleece-lined collar is also well-designed; it is separate from the hood, allowing it to function better, and high enough to protect your chin and mouth in cold and wind. The hood is large enough that you can pull it over a helmet without unzipping the jacket. It has good peripheral vision and adjustability, too. Finally, there is a fixed powder skirt, something I personally can do without, but many appreciate this.

If you are searching for the MacGyver of jackets, look no further. Even at full $439 MSRP, the Environ is a great value.

• Who is it for? Any skier who is looking for a high-quality, versatile jacket. Especially useful for those who ski off piste and need a bomber-quality shell with features designed for anything nature can throw at you.
  • Who is it not for? those who ski in more moderate conditions with high humidity
  • Insider tip. Save some money and watch for Sio "save 10%" coupons by signing up for newsletter and Active Junky savings.

Ron...when your ready to sell it....I’m in!.....nice looking jacket.

Reactions: Ron

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
functionality of a double zipper
Every jacket/parka/shell should have this. It even makes sitting easier when the jacket doesn't bunch up so much. I'd pay an extra dollar for the second pull!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
One thing I already dislike about Environ jacket is lack of sleeve pocket for the ski pass.

you dont need one. put the pass on a lanyard or put it in any pocket and every RFID reader I've been through reads them fine.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
you dont need one. put the pass on a lanyard or put it in any pocket and every RFID reader I've been through reads them fine.
Thank you for your suggestion ...

I need one ... maybe you do not need one and it works for you ... but i think it would be nice to have one ...

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Nice looking gear, but at least for the pants, you need to be really tall and skinny. I bought the Environ pants last year in a small and they were designed for someone about 6 feet tall and 120 pounds. The inseam was around 33" and the waist around 29". Can't imagine they'd actually fit any one.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Nice looking gear, but at least for the pants, you need to be really tall and skinny. I bought the Environ pants last year in a small and they were designed for someone about 6 feet tall and 120 pounds. The inseam was around 33" and the waist around 29". Can't imagine they'd actually fit any one.
Agree, their fit is still TBD, quality of the product is great (so far) but there is no uniformity in sizes ... Ski jacket L is good fit while fleece XL is too small and so on ...

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
without getting too stuck in the weeds, the difference is sizes is due to the cut of the product. the Jacket is designed to accommodate layering and movement, a fleece is not and should be on the tighter side for warmth and fit as a layering piece, for pants, I have a 32" waist and a 33" inseam. I wear the Environ Medium pants, they fit with plenty of room for layers and are just barely long enough. Ironically, I wish they had a 'long". The fit of the Pants is almost identical to Flyblow Chemical pants or Patagonia Untracked pants.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bought the Environ jacket based on @Ron's recommendation, and very happy with it (have worn it at CO resorts, and JH, so mostly dry conditions).
The large fits me (5'11", 155 lbs) well, with no tightness across the chest. Pass on a lanyard works fine everywhere I've been, even buried under the Environ plus a midlayer.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA: Stio has Environ jacket (at least women's) on sale right now. I have one from a couple of years ago. The cut runs on the slimmer side compared to my Flylow jacket. I use it when I don't need thicker midlayers.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Update ...

I got used to the fit after my previous gear ...

But overall ... STIO makes very fine ski garment and I had so many compliments about the jacket(s) while skiing in Europe!

Environ jacket is by far the best jacket that you can buy for the money !!! Sleeve pass pocket would make it even better !

Now, their Azura XT ...

NG

Looks great in town but not as mid layer ... not warm enough ...

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
More Stio gear arrived, this time for kids ... and as previously noted - there seem to be some problem with sizing ... I ordered 2 girls jackets size 14 (my daughters are 10 and 12) and one is right on and the other one is way to small.

Another size discrepancy - while in Jackson, I tried same shirt (Eddy) that I own, in same size and it was way too long in sleeves.

For a company that does have great quality product these things should not happen ... just saying ...

I give them a credit being a new company and trying to figure out supplier chain and so ... but it is getting old buying and returning their stuff online since they closed Chicago store.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
It’s not that “new” of a company BTW, probably 5 years or so. Its the old Cloudveil guy. I also have had problems with the inconsistency in sizing - bought an Eddy shirt their first year - fit great. Have bought one every year since and returned it.

Build quality seems great - just can’t get the fit to work for me and the returns are a hassle.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
"New" - meaning under 20 years ... I know their history and Cloudveil association ...

I hope they maintain their quality and improve on customer satisfaction.

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
View attachment 55756

The shell is made from Dermizax, a durable 150-denier fabric with a 20,000mm waterproof, 10,000g breathability PU laminate. It has withstood every condition I have skied in, including blower storms and sub-zero temps. It’s been waterproof and about 100% windproof (in CO, you don’t really need waterproof). The Environ breathes adequately, and at no time have I felt clammy while skiing, but unlike some fabrics, it doesn’t allow too much heat to escape. The fabric is bomber: it's on the stiffer side but not crinkly or uncomfortable. I have not experienced any tears or pulls even after skiing aspens and evergreens. Visually, fit and finish are as good as (or better than) any other high-end technical shell. Sealed seams are clean and precise, as are the junctions of zippers and materials.

There is just the right number of pockets, which are placed thoughtfully. The double chest pockets provide plenty of room to store a phone in one pocket and gear or an RFID pass in the other side without interfering with the reader. Stio also placed the interior pocket below the exterior chest pocket, permitting you to use both pockets simultaneously without having the contents stack on top of each other (a pet peeve of mine). The interior has a zippered pocket (which will accommodate a larger phone) and a stow pouch; I can fit an extra lens or glove liners in the pouch. Hand pockets are large enough to carry skins.

View attachment 55757
View attachment 55754
Inside of the Environ.

The overall shape is roomy but not boxy. Sleeve and hem length are ideal. For reference, I’m 6 ft 168 lb with a 32-in. waist and 41-in. chest, and the large fits me well with extra room for movement and layering. I like sleeves long enough that they won't expose my wrists when I extend my arms, and I like the hem to be long enough that it covers my butt when I sit on a lift. The fleece-lined collar is also well-designed; it is separate from the hood, allowing it to function better, and high enough to protect your chin and mouth in cold and wind. The hood is large enough that you can pull it over a helmet without unzipping the jacket. It has good peripheral vision and adjustability, too. Finally, there is a fixed powder skirt, something I personally can do without, but many appreciate this.

• Who is it not for? Those who ski in more moderate conditions with high humidity
  • Insider tip. Save some money and watch for Stio's "Save 10%" coupons by signing up for its newsletter and Active Junky savings.
Ron, any chance you would have a pit to pit chest measurement for Stio Environ or Environ XT jacket in size Large?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife skis this for her softshell equivalent and prefers it over her Patagonia hardshell. It's a great jacket, functional beyond skiing.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Brian. Maybe @Bruuuce could help you with that. Thanks!

@brian avery . Sorry, don't check in that often. Laid flat my large is just under 25" when laid flat. I have a 43" chest and have plenty of room. Having tried dozens of jackets I can say that the Environ is "medium" roomy. It is halfway between athletic fits like Arc'teryx and looser fits like my Flylow. It is my go-to.