• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Stio Objective Pro Pants. New for 2021

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Stio introduced a new line of pants and shells this season featuring three-layer Gore-Tex Pro: the Objective Pro series. If you have read my reviews of Stio's Environ pants and jackets, you know I am a big fan. The Environ line had only one weakness, which is that the Toray Dermizax can't match the performance of Gore-Tex Pro, especially its breathability. (It’s not really “breathability” but “moisture transfer,” but let’s keep this simple.) Thankfully, the Objective Pro series keeps the same excellent fit and freedom of movement of the Environ line and adds a half-bib with high-quality suspenders. (There is a bib version of the Environ, but it's really just a high waist.) The portion of the bib above the waistline is a stretchy, soft fabric and includes two vertically placed front pockets. The suspenders are wide and heavy duty.

For 2020, Gore-Tex improved its already excellent Pro fabric to make it more burly; see HERE for details. The three new versions are called Rugged, Breathable, and Stretch. Stio wisely chose to use the Rugged version because for skiing, the Pro fabric is arguably the best out there for overall performance. For those skinning in warmer temps, perhaps the Gore-Tex Pro Breathable, eVent, or Polartec would be better options, but for the vast majority of skiers, Rugged is the right choice.

The Objective Pro has the same overall fit as the Environ line, which is my personal favorite for comfort and movement. I have a 33-in. waist; the Stio size guide says the medium fits a 32 to 35, which seems about right. The medium is supposed to have a 31-in. inseam, but like the Environ pants, they are longer. I typically wear 33-in. inseams, and these are fine. They would work from 31 to 34 in.; the 34 might be a tad short, but not horribly so. The overall cut is just right, neither too baggy nor too slim. The Pro features articulated knees with “action gussets,” which means they allow good movement at the crotch. This is actually noticeable compared to other brands on deep carved turns or in the bumps when you are flexing deeply. There is a two-way fly zipper for easy access during nature breaks. I appreciate the double zipper on bibs so you can unzip them from the bottom of the fly rather than having to access the zipper from the top. It needs a slightly larger pull, though. The stretchy material on the bib areas is comfortable, breathes well, and provides additional protection on stormy days. The cuffs have tough Cordura kick patches, and the front pockets and side-zippered vents are watertight. The fabric is quite thin, but I would layer just as you would with any other three-layer pant. When on, they feel light and unencumbered.

I am a fan of half-bibs, and these really impressed me. The added height in the front and back is awesome on stormy and deep days, and I find them to be more comfortable than conventional pants. Two pockets on the front bib section are perfect for small Items like ski pass, keys, or snack. The integrated suspender straps and clasps are burly and work very well. Some suspenders are too thin and flimsy and fall off my shoulders. These have been excellent, retaining their setting, and are very comfortable.

The Objective Pro features two waterproof bellowed leg pockets on the front with a mesh internal pocket for your phone or wallet. I wish Stio had included a small clip for attaching keys or a tethered wallet (I use a waterproof camera case with a cord attached as a wallet). The pockets are sized well and will slightly bellow if overstuffed. The pants also have a vent that runs from the waist to just above the knee. You can vent in different ways to suit your needs with the double zipper.

Like the Environ but better, these are my favorite pants. I love the fit and freedom of movement and with the Gore-Tex Pro; they are nearly perfect! The Objective Pros are priced at $649, which is in line with other premium products that use Gore-Tex Pro. I chose the Midnight color, which is a dark, inky blue that is unique and quite sharp looking.

Attachments

• 5F172338-85D5-4AAB-8E02-996ABAB98CCA_1_201_a.jpeg
    5F172338-85D5-4AAB-8E02-996ABAB98CCA_1_201_a.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 661E193A-B09B-48D5-ADDA-A02D4F52BA23_1_201_a.jpeg
    661E193A-B09B-48D5-ADDA-A02D4F52BA23_1_201_a.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 38E8AD55-02A4-48EE-89E3-6D52335DE340_1_201_a.jpeg
    38E8AD55-02A4-48EE-89E3-6D52335DE340_1_201_a.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Jon Wade

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the great review! It's concise but covered everything that matters. Mine are on the way and I'm psyched to take them to Hokkaido in 3 weeks. Here's hoping for a happy Japanuary.

Sponsor

Staff online