• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli laser SC vs Volkl RaceTiger SC Black

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
Hey new board mermber here. A little background, I am a level 1 Ski Instructor (5'8, 170lbs) in PA and am working on improving my technical skiing, sticking to piste/groomed eastern US hills. I still have some flaws but practicing as much as possible to get better. Currently skiiing on Stockli Laser AX 168 and really feel that these skis have helped me. I am going to be taking my Level 2 exam next year and want to spend the remainder of 2023 ski season getting into a more race-oriented ski. Being that I love my AX, I am toying with the Laser SC or the Volkl RaceTigers in a shorter length, probably 156ish. Are these a good jump or should I take the entire leap and go to a WRT or RaceTiger SL? I'm sure I left some important info out but hopefully this is a good start.

Thanks---Eric

Last edited:

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
The Racetiger SC is a very easy and forgiving ski so I think it would be a great instructor ski to work on technical skills with out having to ski too fast for work too hard.

TS
EMill99

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
Shoot for the stars and get WRT Pro. It is only painful when you are paying for them.
These are what the AX turn into when a beautiful princess kisses them. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
Thanks! So just take the leap to the race ski. Any thoughts on taking the level 2 exam on race skis?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! So just take the leap to the race ski. Any thoughts on taking the level 2 exam on race skis?

WRTs are not race ski. They are just damn good ski for everyone whose name doesnt start with Marco and ends in Odermatt. And who is not a beginner/intermediate.
If you want them slalom-y, get the 162.
I went from AX to WRT never to look back.

TS
EMill99

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
WRTs are not race ski. They are just damn good ski for everyone whose name doesnt start with Marco and ends in Odermatt. And who is not a beginner/intermediate.
If you want them slalom-y, get the 162.
I went from AX to WRT never to look back.
Ah, this is excellent news. Does my heart good to know that others have moved on from AX's! I love the AX but I am at the point where I can tell when I a smaller radius would be very beneficial. What are you thoughts on the WRT for the mogul part of the level 2 exam?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, this is excellent news. Does my heart good to know that others have moved on from AX's! I love the AX but I am at the point where I can tell when I a smaller radius would be very beneficial. What are you thoughts on the WRT for the mogul part of the level 2 exam?

WRTs are like AX on steroids. Leaner, meaner, more powerful, faster. They do everything the AX does on piste only…better. :ogbiggrin:
AX is the ski I have spent the most days on and I still love them but the WRTs are just…

1674682670914.gif

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently skiiing on Stockli Laser AX 168 and really feel that these skis have helped me. I am going to be taking my Level 2 exam next year and want to spend the remainder of 2023 ski season getting into a more race-oriented ski. Being that I love my AX, I am toying with the Laser SC or the Volkl RaceTigers in a shorter length, probably 156ish. Are these a good jump or should I take the entire leap and go to a WRT or RaceTiger SL?
Your AX is not that far from a race ski in the grand scheme of things. I'd say if you're going to go to a higher performance carving ski than brook no halfway measures (Laser SC or Racetiger SC). Those skis are too close to what you've already got. Get a real SL instead. Exactly which one is probably not the most critical thing.

PS: Since you are new here you need to understand that the other Tony S (above) is a bit of a nutjob - in a good way - on Stockli in general, and on the WRT specifically. So look to him for stoke but not for objectivity, or for an L1 perspective.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your AX is not that far from a race ski in the grand scheme of things. I'd say if you're going to go to a higher performance carving ski than brook no halfway measures (Laser SC or Racetiger SC). Those skis are too close to what you've already got. Get a real SL instead. Exactly which one is probably not the most critical thing.

PS: Since you are new here you need to understand that the other Tony S (above) is a bit of a nutjob - in a good way - on Stockli in general, and on the WRT specifically. So look to him for stoke but not for objectivity, or for an L1 perspective.

Objection your honor! The guy clearly asked if he should move from AX to SC or WRT hence-the logical answer.
And BTW, the 162 WRT with their 13 m radius will run circles around most of the “real” SL skis out there, apart from the real race stuff obviously. But we aren’t talking FIS ski here are we?

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
most of us euros are lost on your level this & that of instructors I guess. (we tend to laugh at americans skiiing/instructing in general) so guess we shouldnt really comment.

but... having real SL skis are always a good thing for figure out perfect turns.

SC is pretty similar to your current AX

WRT pro is not a ski I'd bring to do any fun in moguls.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
most of us euros are lost on your level this & that of instructors I guess. (we tend to laugh at americans skiiing/instructing in general) so guess we shouldnt really comment.

but... having real SL skis are always a good thing for figure out perfect turns.

SC is pretty similar to your current AX

WRT pro is not a ski I'd bring to do any fun in moguls.

Moguls were never mentioned.

What was mentioned was:

sticking to piste/groomed eastern US hills.

P.S. On a second thought tho, perhaps if the OP will have to spend lots of time with kids, going slowly WRT might be a bit too stiff, so maybe he should consider what @Tony S suggested-some friendlier SL ski.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"The mogul part of the level two exam" would be better with some other ski than either an SL ski or a WRT. Head eRace ski, or eRally maybe. Those are popular with those instructors. Made for those tests, as I understand it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"The mogul part of the level two exam" would be better with some other ski than either an SL ski or a WRT. Head eRace ski, or eRally maybe. Those are popular with those instructors. Made for those tests, as I understand it.
Yeah, my comments about an SL were in response to the OPs wanting a shorter radius "more race oriented" ski.

As far as moguls and exams, he's already got that ski. It's the AX. Seems to me like kind of the perfect exam ski. Don't know what I'm missing there.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as moguls and exams, he's already got that ski. It's the AX. Seems to me like kind of the perfect exam ski. Don't know what I'm missing there.

The AX is decent on groomed. Not so much in the bumps. Lacks feel.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Taking those instructor tests, very controlled, natural, smooth carved turns in all situations are preferred:
imagine making perfect, predictable, semi-slow turns with your group of students following your tracks, single file,
imitating your every move so as to improve.

The skis I mentioned have a radius around 14 or so, on shorter skis, that thus have a natural, easy turn in all situations,
back and forth, semi-slow, totally predictable, easy to imitate: what a ski instructor - and a ski instructor test - wants to replicate.

(I like the AX, own two pairs at different lengths: but the rebound of the 175 is like a kick; very quick, unusually quick,
not slow and consistent, nor smooth as silk on edge. On this shorter 175 pair, the thrill of the carve/rebound quickness is more the thing.
Not possible for other skis to duplicate or imitate easily - not a good ski to imitate, however fun the slingshot rebound might be for the user.
(My longer pair of 183 AXes is different, but again, not like other skis, not a ski to imitate at predictable, natural,
back and forth "Momma Duck" type turns with the little ducklings following in tow;
nor is it good for ski instructor tests. ) :)

TS
EMill99

EMill99

Booting up
Skier
I attended a level 2 training clinic last night and after speaking to the trainer I have decided onVolkl RaceTiger SL in 160. I can order a pair with race bindings through PSIA snowpros for $800.

Thank you all for the information you provided. I greatly appreciate it.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January