• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Stormrider 88 Alternatives

mattno

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I recently was at whistler BC and demoed the Stormrider 88s, love the way they ride but are to expensive. Any suggestions as to what might ride similarly but at a lower price. Also I usually ski out east but go on a week long trip out west every year so I am looking for something that holds a carve well on a groomer but also can do moguls and light powder (5'10, 150lb, advanced but not super aggressive).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Stockli feel with a little more turn in from the tip for about $700 or so.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI We have a forum member with a used pair for sale right now with bindings. They're a super deal.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brahma 88, Rustler 9, or Enforcer 88 can do bumps and light pow and can be found at reasonable price, especially this time of year.

TS
M

mattno

Skier
Thanks for the suggestions, might try to get the used skiis,

Would elan ripsticks also be similar?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OP there is a nice set of current SR88 175 with factory XM13 bindings currently listed on Kijiji and FB, seller is in Burligton, ON. Price looks good ( now $1100 $C ) and better with a bit of haggling. If he has a suitable box, mailing to you would be about $70 $C.

TS
M

mattno

Skier
OP there is a nice set of current SR88 175 with factory XM13 bindings currently listed on Kijiji and FB, seller is in Burligton, ON. Price looks good ( now $1100 $C ) and better with a bit of haggling. If he has a suitable box, mailing to you would be about $70 $C.
Thanks!

Would 175s be to big for me considering I'm only 178cm 150lb,

I was riding 166s in whistler but I'll mainly be skiing out east at tremblant so maybe more length will be better out east

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Would elan ripsticks also be similar?
No.

Would 175s be to big for me considering I'm only 178cm 150lb,

I was riding 166s in whistler but I'll mainly be skiing out east at tremblant so maybe more length will be better out east
If the 166 was what floated your boat, I'd think twice before going to the 175 without a demo. It's a big step. And normally people in the east ski lengths that, if anything, are shorter than in the west, all other things equal.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
^ A demo is the correct answer but I’m your height and weight and there’s no way i’d pick the 166 over the 175. Of course I’ve never skied in the east so have no clue.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too bad the SR88 is only available in 9cm increments.
OP I'm 5'8" 160 lbs and would not consider such a ski in 166, and I'm no rock-star on the slopes. However, you being in Ottawa and close to Tremblant, you will have more than your fair share of frozen groomers. And with your desire for better mogul performance and not-aggressive style, a strong case can me made for the 166 !
( though I think finding a used 166 will be a tough task )

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently was at whistler BC and demoed the Stormrider 88s, love the way they ride but are to expensive. Any suggestions as to what might ride similarly but at a lower price. Also I usually ski out east but go on a week long trip out west every year so I am looking for something that holds a carve well on a groomer but also can do moguls and light powder (5'10, 150lb, advanced but not super aggressive).
I bought a pair of demo SR88’s in 166cm last year and don’t regret it for a second. They’ve quickly become my second favorite ski behind the Laser AX. I brought them to Utah a couple weeks ago and used them on 4 of the 6 days. They are a great ski for the west and especially in the east. I highly recommend you try to find a used or demo SR88.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rossi Exp 86ti is in the same general category, and currently floating my boat.

I find it more engaging/zippy/entertaining on-piste as the Enforcer 88, and almost as easy off-piste.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
The old Head Monster 88 (i think the 88ti was the last version) if you can find them on sale. The Peak 88 could be a good one too (maybe easier skiing too), especially if they do another sale.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The old Head Monster 88 (i think the 88ti was the last version) if you can find them on sale. The Peak 88 could be a good one too (maybe easier skiing too), especially if they do another sale.

I'm not sure about the Peak 88. I have the Peak 104 and my son has the Peak 98. They are very different skis than the 88 but both of us weren't all that thrilled with their groomer performance unless we had high edge angles. Awesome for powder and chop, though. IMO the Peak doesn't come nearly close enough to the SR88 on groomers to be an alternative. Others who have a lot of time on that ski may feel otherwise.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO the Peak doesn't come nearly close enough to the SR88 on groomers to be an alternative. Others who have a lot of time on that ski may feel otherwise.

We have 4 pairs of Peak 88 in the family.
Both @A Grump and I been on his Peak 88 past several days. The skis comes alive as it is driven harder. The harder you drive it, the better it gets.
@A Grump likes the Peak 88 better than the SR88 because he can drive them harder. His all mountain ski is a Atomic FIS SL 157. I still like my 2023 Kendo a bit more than both. YMMV.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have 4 pairs of Peak 88 in the family.
Both @A Grump and I been on his Peak 88 past several days. The skis comes alive as it is driven harder. The harder you drive it, the better it gets.
@A Grump likes the Peak 88 better than the SR88 because he can drive them harder. His all mountain ski is a Atomic FIS SL 157. I still like my 2023 Kendo a bit more than both. YMMV.

Well, that Indian analogy may be applicable here. Still, depending on whether you want to drive them hard or not they might not be a better choice than the SR88.

Sponsor

Staff online