• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stoko Knee brace compression tights

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone looked into these? They combine a knee brace with a compression tight. They are made in both men's and women's sizes.

"On the Snow" sent out an advertisement with the information and a 20% off coupon good until April 15. The code is:
"ONTHESNOW20".

As you can see they're a bit pricey at $400US, minus the $80 coupon of course.

I am very curious to learn more about them.

Screenshot_20220323-134313.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone looked into these? They combine a knee brace with a compression tight. They are made in both men's and women's sizes.

"On the Snow" sent out an advertisement with the information and a 20% off coupon good until April 15. The code is:
"ONTHESNOW20".

As you can see they're a bit pricey at $400US, minus the $80 coupon of course.

I am very curious to learn more about them.

View attachment 164232
I'd go with what my sports physiologist recommended, if I were recovering from injury and/or surgery.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I've been using Bracelayer KX2 Knee Support for my baselayer pants. Zamst ZK-7 knee brace on top. I had a tibial plateau fracture last season and this has given me enough support to ski with confidence this season. The Bracelayer pants look really similar at 20% the price. Maybe I'm missing something though.

James

Out There
Instructor
The biggest issue with these and say Opedix is fit. I’m sure the knee part will be ok, what about the rest if it?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I've been using Bracelayer KX2 Knee Support for my baselayer pants. Zamst ZK-7 knee brace on top. I had a tibial plateau fracture last season and this has given me enough support to ski with confidence this season. The Bracelayer pants look really similar at 20% the price. Maybe I'm missing something though.
Your doctor recommended a brace for a healed tib plateau fracture? Aren't braces used to keep tendons and other soft tissue, etc compressed? Once a bone fully heals aren't you good to go and what would a brace do to protect the bone? Unless you sustained soft tissue damage to go with your tibial plateau fracture I'm struggling to see what s brace would do for you. The doctor obviously would know more than I but just curious as someone who has had a tibial plateau fracture from a basketball injury a long time ago.

James

Out There
Instructor
Your doctor recommended a brace for a healed tib plateau fracture? Aren't braces used to keep tendons and other soft tissue, etc compressed? Once a bone fully heals aren't you good to go and what would a brace do to protect the bone? Unless you sustained soft tissue damage to go with your tibial plateau fracture I'm struggling to see what s brace would do for you.
Well back when I was involved with knee rehab for my three operations, the theory of using compression was it helped reduce muscle reaction time. But that was quite awhile ago. Clearly it has no structural assistance, but could actually help. At the very least it feels good and even that helps.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Well back when I was involved with knee rehab for my three operations, the theory of using compression was it helped reduce muscle reaction time. But that was quite awhile ago. Clearly it has no structural assistance, but could actually help. At the very least it feels good and even that helps.
My tib plateau fracture was a little over 20 years ago but the doctors actually recommended against using a brace once I was healed. Maybe the theory has changed since then.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Your doctor recommended a brace for a healed tib plateau fracture? Aren't braces used to keep tendons and other soft tissue, etc compressed? Once a bone fully heals aren't you good to go and what would a brace do to protect the bone? Unless you sustained soft tissue damage to go with your tibial plateau fracture I'm struggling to see what s brace would do for you. The doctor obviously would know more than I but just curious as someone who has had a tibial plateau fracture from a basketball injury a long time ago.
My PA and PT recommended a hinged brace last Spring when the bone healed and I wanted to get some spring snow days in before the season ended (Injury was early December and surgery right before Christmas and healed in April). Ligaments were stretched but not torn and muscle hasn't been built all the way back so I've been more comfortable with the extra stabilizers. I'm just starting to feel back to normal strength. The PA and PT recommendation of the brace was because I lost so much muscle around the knee and had some ligaments stretched/sprained and the return to skiing was quick.

James

Out There
Instructor
My tib plateau fracture was a little over 20 years ago but the doctors actually recommended against using a brace once I was healed. Maybe the theory has changed since then.
A compression sleeve, or an actual brace?
I can’t see a negative to compression unless it hurts, or is too compressing.

This is about 20 yrs ago too. They were up in the air about braces to stabilize ligaments. They really have to fit tight and properly to be of any use for one. Since so many athletes use them now, I assume they’ve got data to back it up, but doing things like wearing it on top of clothing is highly suspect and probably useless to harmful.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

That's what I was thinking. I tried on a pair of the Bracelayer and didn't really like them. And I thought the price was too high. Friend loves her. CSIA has sponsorship with them.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I tried on a pair of the Bracelayer and didn't really like them.
The one thing I don't like is the waistband; it's a little tight. Some of this is on me, but it still seems like a very strong elastic and I wish it had a little more "give".

TS
skibum4ever

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have data claiming it’s comparable to a rigid brace like the Ossur Cti custom. Don’t know how that’s possible, and I haven’t gone through it.

That seems impressive to me, but I would like to have someone with more physiological knowledge review it.

As to the tightness, I too struggled with CWX tights when I first purchased them. I wore them as my base layer for a number of years but ultimately realized that they didn't fit my short legs and did not line up properly with the areas they were supposed to support.

Based on the size chart it would appear that these would fit me properly. But I sure wouldn't get to try them while skiing within the 30 day return limit.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
A compression sleeve, or an actual brace?
I can’t see a negative to compression unless it hurts, or is too compressing.

This is about 20 yrs ago too. They were up in the air about braces to stabilize ligaments. They really have to fit tight and properly to be of any use for one. Since so many athletes use them now, I assume they’ve got data to back it up, but doing things like wearing it on top of clothing is highly suspect and probably useless to harmful.
A brace. Compression sleeves weren't really a big thing back then. Lucky my fracture healed super well, so I haven't come close to feeling like I needed a sleeve, brace, etc. anyway. But unless there is swelling that now occurs post injury or soft tissue damage, I would wonder what the science behind wearing a sleeve would do for a tib plateau injury. And they told me a brace would do more harm than good as it would needlessly restrict movement in the knee when it didn't need to be as the bone was healed.

Meanwhile most of the research I've seen suggests compression doesn't give much muscle benefit during activity, although some research suggests it can help in recovery afterwards.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I would wonder what the science behind wearing a sleeve would do for a tib plateau injury.
Likely nothing for the bones, but the muscles are all you’ve got protecting the knee. Compression on the legs feels good anyway.

Surprised no one has come out with leggings with electrical stimulation.

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
Not tried those, but I do have a McDavid Maximum Support Knee Brace with Hinges (429X). Compression and Stability Straps for ACL, LCL, Arthritis, Tendonitis, MCL, Patella. which I bought on Amazon for $59.99. Works really well for skiing this last season while recovering from my broken lower leg and the stresses being exerted on my knee.
The item the OP listed seems like a lot of money.

TS
skibum4ever

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not tried those, but I do have a McDavid Maximum Support Knee Brace with Hinges (429X). Compression and Stability Straps for ACL, LCL, Arthritis, Tendonitis, MCL, Patella. which I bought on Amazon for $59.99. Works really well for skiing this last season while recovering from my broken lower leg and the stresses being exerted on my knee.
The item the OP listed seems like a lot of money.

I broke most of my lower leg and also got a second knee replacement. I did purchase an iKon pass and hope to ski next season. I'm seriously considering this brace.

Sponsor