• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stoko Knee brace compression tights

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I broke most of my lower leg and also got a second knee replacement. I did purchase an iKon pass and hope to ski next season. I'm seriously considering this brace.

Eh, I have a 2-shipping-box-full collection by now. Braces are a bit like skis - very few are true all-arounders and no amount of online "information" will compensate for trying a particular one yourself.

TS
skibum4ever

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@cantunamunch I have several braces in the bottom of my closet as well. None of them are serious braces to support my seriously injured lower leg. I would love to hear your recommendations as well but will not purchase anything until I am ready to try it out.

Frankly, I realized yesterday that my leg is still swollen and I cannot measure it accurately for a ski brace to be used in December.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am a bit of a Breg fanboi - they had the best options for ski and skate support with rigid exo frames and flex angle limiters and comfy but sturdy condyle pads. Of course they were horrible for bike use, so I eventually bought from Donjoy and Mueller also.

And yes, swelling is a huge factor in fit.

TS
skibum4ever

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not tried those, but I do have a McDavid Maximum Support Knee Brace with Hinges (429X). Compression and Stability Straps for ACL, LCL, Arthritis, Tendonitis, MCL, Patella. which I bought on Amazon for $59.99. Works really well for skiing this last season while recovering from my broken lower leg and the stresses being exerted on my knee.
The item the OP listed seems like a lot of money.

I'm starting to look at Knee braces. Are you still happy with your McDavid?

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm starting to look at Knee braces. Are you still happy with your McDavid?
Yes, although I would say that my leg has healed enough that I don't need to use it as often now. But I would absolutely recommend it based on my positive experience over many months, not just for skiing but for other activities etc.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
I just heard a Blister podcast with the guys from Boone Mtn Sports in Evergreen, CO... They highly recommend these, from personal experience. Might be worth reaching out to them to talk about it. Currently on sale, too.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Bumpage @Brian Finch any input on Stoko as preventative knee protection?

preventative - that’s easy, no; the thigh is too fleshy to stabilize upon, it’s the hang up of most knee braces.

comfort - sure, go for it!

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
Compression garments/devices - a mostly 'feel good' thing, IMO. They do help in a minor way for some 'support' needs; especially where you might have 'looseness' which might dislocate or cause internal abrasive effects. But only in those areas directly affected.
A more global compression is counter-productive.
Compression s a negative for blood flow VOLUME, and actually increases the needed blood pressure to complete flow circulation. Less of an issue for arms, but greater issues for Legs, and in activities which greatly involve leg and core for extended periods (more than a few minutes).
There is some talk of 'aiding recovery', but that must be for mostly sedentary individuals. In heavy endurance sports, 'active recovery', directly after the event, is way better for the quickest, most optimal removal of waste and starting re-energizing process. That's why you ALWAYS see pro cyclists, after long and tough events (or even very hard efforts on shortterm track events) climb on a trainer and ride lightly for quite some time - blood flow is the fastest way to recovery.
If you're wearing compression to 'support' what seems slack connective/supportive tissue, ok, some support help is ok. But it shouldn;t need to be much (tightness) or on areas where that support is superfluous.
Try it... Get some tight full leg garments, sit or lie down and after a couple minutes check your heart rate. Take them off, use same relaxed position, give your body 5 minutes to adjust, and measure HR again. Guaranty that your heart rate will be lower without the compression...
I have replacement ACL & PCL (cadaver not my own hamstring) and tried just compression in that knee area. Faster fatigue and within an hour or so the lower leg/muscles has significant swelling, to the point of pain. That with light adjustable compression.
I went to a support brace using neoprene panels and active hinges - good support resisting the twisting which could cause re-injury, but the snug only fit caused significantly less swelling and less fatigue thru the day.
There's more... but not today.
Ski On
Yuri

Sponsor

Staff online