• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Store or Sell? What to do with your skis/gear when the season is done.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
If you have to sell your gear, you are admitting you bought the wrong gear in the first place,
Totally!

Though when you starting out, you don't usually know what you need. Or, you just outgrow your first few as you improve. That doesn't limit to ski gear either. Can be bike, boat, whatever...

As others suggested, I almost never sell in spring (or "end of season" in whatever activity). Not just for better pricing, but also because the "upgrade" happens at random time. So the unwanted item become available for sale also at random time too.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I usually store skis and boots to sell at the fall swaps. This year was a bit different as I sold a pair of skis to my sisters boyfriend a couple weeks back. He really enjoyed borrowing them this season and I was done with them. I got a paid of boots stashed for the fall swaps but also low key posted on Facebook Marketplace. Not trying real hard to sell them.

Bikes and bike parts are hopping right now as the glimpse of spring is almost here in Alaska. Got three bikes to sell hopefully this spring, two CX bikes and my Fuel EX 9.8.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same as @firebanex — I wait to sell in the fall. Fortunately I have plenty of storage. I often buy end of season deals though so I have to be disciplined about selling the stuff that is ready to be cycled out.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I try to have a “one on me out” philosophy. This year there’s no more new “ins” so no “ours”….excepting I’m replacing the Marker Kingpins on my 50/50 AT (really sidecountry and short jaunts) ski, the Salomon QST 92, with Shifts. I just wanted more control on firm slopes

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Let’s try that again without typos!!

I try to have a “one in one out” philosophy. This year there’s no more new “ins” so no “outs”….excepting I’m replacing the Marker Kingpins on my 50/50 AT (really sidecountry and short jaunts) ski, the Salomon QST 92, with Shifts. I just wanted more control on firm slopes

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
My season’s not done yet. Closing weekend at Stevens is next weekend, closing weekend at Baker is the following one.

And we just booked tickets to close out our season at Squallywood 3rd weekend of May…unless Crystal skis even longer or we decide to go to Hood in June/July.

But when it does end? Storing until November. Then I may sell my Line Supernatural 86s if I’ve gotten something in the 80-84mm range for pure frontside and moguls.

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Let’s try that again without typos!!

I try to have a “one in one out” philosophy. This year there’s no more new “ins” so no “outs”….excepting I’m replacing the Marker Kingpins on my 50/50 AT (really sidecountry and short jaunts) ski, the Salomon QST 92, with Shifts. I just wanted more control on firm slopes
I enjoyed the original post! I like to figure out the original intent on the contents

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Store unless i have a buyer. Sell in the fall. Sometimes i don't know what will be replaced until i know what's available in October. Some skis I'm irrationally attached to and can't seem to let go. All but three pair* get stored at the end of April.

* two race'ish skis for Hood, one touring ski for whatever opportunities show up. Season ends mid/late July.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This season it will be store. I really like what I have so no selling or giving away. It doesn't mean that I might not purchase something new next season, just keeping options open. As far as selling meaning that I didn’t purchase the right ski to begin with, I can only think of one time that happened and one time I put the wrong binding on a reportedly good ski.
Many of the skis that I have sold were good skis but I wanted to try something else and because I was working in a shop I was able to buy at employee discount or Pro Form price. My employer didn’t mind because it was always good to say to a customer that I had skied on the ski I was recommending.

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
As far as selling meaning that I didn’t purchase the right ski to begin with, I can only think of one time that happened and one time I put the wrong binding on a reportedly good ski.
Some people stick with the same activity for decades. I tend to pick up a new one each new decade (not necessarily at the beginning though, just on average).

So yeah, I have many mistaken purchases at the beginning of each new hobby. Over in the Nordic section, you'll see my mistaken purchases in my latest. So I have one pair of skating skis to give away and one to sell... but wait, those are my rock skis!:roflmao:

Uncle-A

Skier
Some people stick with the same activity for decades. I tend to pick up a new one each new decade (not necessarily at the beginning though, just on average).

So yeah, I have many mistaken purchases at the beginning of each new hobby. Over in the Nordic section, you'll see my mistaken purchases in my latest. So I have one pair of skating skis to give away and one to sell... but wait, those are my rock skis!:roflmao:
I guess I have been fortunate not making many purchasing errors, but I have always have done a fair amount of research on my equipment. Growing up without disposable income has made me a careful consumer, it also helped me learn a lot about the products I was purchasing.

Uncle-A

Skier
I always feel like I need to learn to like the ski. I finally like a pair I got in 2018. Days skied then until the start of this season: 21. Day this season: 25. Suddenly I like them.
In the 46 days of skiing over the two seasons how many times did you have the ski tuned or a base grind? That could be the reason it took you a while to like them.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In the 46 days of skiing over the two seasons how many times did you have the ski tuned or a base grind? That could be the reason it took you a while to like them.
I had them tuned to my specs, no detune, when I got them. Over the next FIVE seasons, I then did my own tuning and base maintenance. I could look all this up, but my habit is waxing, tuning, and edge maintenance every 60k vertical feet.

This had nothing to do with the tune, I assure you. It was 100% me and the skis. They require someone "on their game" and that wasn't me until this year. The skis want aggression and confidence. The skis they "replaced" were fun. These are looking to be pushed. I looked up Phil's review the other day, now that I've come around to them. He says he "got spanked" the first time he was on them. Now, this girl here is no Phil. So, it took me longer to feel comfortable.

I've had this "no love" issue with other skis, but I look at it as a reason to keep working, not walk away. Nothing will probably equal the affection I had towards the not-quite-retired skis.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Perhaps you haven’t been paying attention but @Sibhusky has posted extensively about the fact that she tunes and otherwise maintains her own skis. From her posts it’s clear that she is very expert at doing so.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Perhaps you haven’t been paying attention but @Sibhusky has posted extensively about the fact that she tunes and otherwise maintains her own skis. From her posts it’s clear that she is very expert at doing so.
Well, I know what I like and it's better for all if I do my own equipment.

Uncle-A

Skier
Unfortunately I can't remember every post of every member. But I don't doubt @Sibhusky does a good job on her equipment. We have very capable members.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I guess I have been fortunate not making many purchasing errors, but I have always have done a fair amount of research on my equipment. Growing up without disposable income has made me a careful consumer, it also helped me learn a lot about the products I was purchasing.
You maybe fortunate.

But there's no way to "research" a product when you're new to it. You just don't know what you don't know.

However, you may not "know" you got the "wrong" product. It may not work as well as it should be, even though it kind of sort of work.

I thought it's just me who didn't know how to ski. But the reality was it was the wrong size for my height and skill level. All it took was trying out another one!

Uncle-A

Skier
I thought it's just me who didn't know how to ski. But the reality was it was the wrong size for my height and skill level. All it took was trying out another one!
I have to think this is a case that the ski sales person didn't do their job. It is why you should deal with a reputable shop.