• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Store or Sell? What to do with your skis/gear when the season is done.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Store-or-Sell-SkiTalk-Slider.jpeg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Store or Sell?. Please add to the discussion here.

Last edited:

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gift when able- there are always folks who appreciate it.
I like this too. I like to gift to younger family and friends who have a few less less disposable dollars. They always ask to pay something so they feel that they've contributed so I make it a nominal amount of $ so that they have skin in the game and I'm happy that good gear thats been well cared goes to someone who is really stoked to have it. Seems like the best possible route. This stuff depreciates in value so quickly, trying to extract every possible penny out of used gear has just never been worth it to me. I just don't want things to end up in landfills prematurely.

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Store-most of our gear will be used for the next season, except for some obsolete stuff that should turn into chairs or decorations. We did give a pair of ski boots planted with flowers as a gag gift to our daughter on Sunday.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Store everything!!! Best time to sell skis is Nov/Dec that said for some reason no matter how I play it I always end the season with more skis than I started. With this in mind the patter should be Ski ski ski, buy, ski skis, store, ski, buy, ski buy, ski sell, ski ski, buy, ski and then store unless their is a freakish snow storm in which case you ski. I am sure someone could create an algorithm to come up with the optimal ration of ski, buy, sell store ... etc. I am just not that guy ;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Requipper sounds like something to explore. Thanks!

(I've sold on skitalk, ebay and in local re-sale sports shops. For me, the ebay was sometimes a pain in the head. Not a fun experience, too often - with the selling in particular, too many times.)

On summer storage: I don't like the summer/travel wax thing because it's an extra few steps on the workbench, and an inferior wax on my skis.
And I'm not someone who has to travel with a lot of skis routinely.

I prefer instead prepping skis for optimal use the next time I use them, and for next season; at the end of the season I'm cleaning texture, base flattening, tuning, etc., and then applying instead base prep wax, if needed, and then the wax I'm likely to want on the skis that next time (in the late fall or early winter, say). Instead of a travel or storage wax, I put on a medium, wide range ski wax that's tops for me and leave it. Then all I have to do is scrape, brush and ski come fall, with the benefit of that great wax soaking in for months, perhaps.

(The medium temp wax I use is just soft enough to not flake or chip off when handling - not brittle. But it's durable and good for all but the extremes of hot and cold, and a great base layer for hot or cold overlays.)

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I put summer wax on the skis I will use the next season and store them in a dry, air conditioned area. The skis that will be replaced, I usually give to the ski repair technicians at the resort. They take care of me and fix all my ski damage during the season so they deserve anything extra I can give them.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I'm like a black hole for ski gear: new gear goes in, nothing comes out.

When the season is over, the gear gets cleaned, skis waxed and then everything stored away in a cool dry space.

OK, OK, every 3-4 years or so I (usually) donate some ski gear to a local annual ski swap. I usually donate. If stuff is literally almost new, I'll consider selling, but that's rare.

The ski swap is run by a local winter sports non-profit. Usually I donate just one or two pairs of skis & maybe boots. I've even donated some gear & ski clothing (that I, uh, "outgrew") to a young neighbor family.

I highly recommend gear donations as I feel it's something one can do directly that helps the sport. I'd rather see my "dormant" gear get beat to death by young skiers having fun than just hang out in the basement wearing storage wax, unused for years.

Some years ago, my wife had to retire from skiing due to worsening 'osteo issues. She donated her final set of ski gear to the ski swap. We attended that particular ski swap & my wife experienced something special: from a distance, she watched a young father with a pre-teen boy (presumably, his son) look over her skis and select them for the boy. The boy looked close to her height, so the skis were a reasonable novice "nose-high" length for him as she noted at the time. Anyway, the boy was so excited. Made my wife's day to see her skis put to good use. The skis were intermediate Rossignol Experience 76's as I remember.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What is this sell thing you speak of? Surely it's just break or wear out?

I realise the article is a bit of a plug for Requipper but their stock has been pretty thin and the prices er...ambitious...for old skis when I've looked. Not sure they have any advantages over eBay or traditional consignment outlets.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think the article meant to bring "boots", not "bindings". Presumably, the bindings are already mounted on the skis. So you need to bring boots (with your skis) in order to do the release check:

You should also consider bringing your bindings (with your skis) to your local shop and having them do a release( ASTM) check to make sure they are still functioning within range.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I store everything and then sell at ski swaps in October. But that's only the outgrown stuff from my grandsons. I treat my ski gear like my model airplanes: VERY RELUCTANT TO SELL. Use it until it dies and then buy something used from someone else.

If you follow this strategy, you'll have lots of skis to cover lots of conditions, and you'll save lots of money.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If you follow this strategy, you'll have lots of skis to cover lots of conditions, and you'll save lots of money.
Shhh! Let the "must have new bright and shiny things or you don't care about your skiing" mob continue their habits. How else are we going to score the lightly used kit we like at pocket money prices?

Incidentally assume Phil's 5 year cut off is satirical given how little has changed in skis over the past decade and arguably the most desirable "innovative" ski, the Line Blade is largely a rehash of concepts dating back to to the 2000s with the Icelantic Shaman.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
"or your bindings aren’t Gripwalk compatible,"
Just say "No" to gripwalk; it's clearly a plot to make your perfectly good bindings obsolete (not nearly as good a ploy as the indemnification chart racket, which has safety going for it ogwink :duck:).

If you have to sell your gear, you are admitting you bought the wrong gear in the first place, probably because it was cheap, which made it the right gear considering your financial situation, which hopefully has improved. If it has improved, then by all means, sell it.....next fall.
BTW does anyone want to buy a set of ugly rusty steal rims with used up snow tires on them right now...(I upgraded to beautiful 18" summer rims and will use my stock rims next winter); they don't seem to be selling too well right now. ogwink

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
have some of them for sale, but when ads expire in 90 days I dont republish until september/october, most stuff sells in nov/des when snow hits.
pow skis I can have up for ages, then pow hits, boom all gone in days

touring gear is HOT until june/july though.

I sold 30 pairs in a 40 day period des/jan last/this year. sold so much gear that our "quick payment" service here shutme down, saying I was a business... I wish!! :p

we are moving, and I've moved half of (or more?) of my skis to work and store them here.. I thought I was down to 20-30 pairs of skis after selling. I was not. GF has 7-8 pairs though! so that desnt help.

only thing I cannot sell for the life of me is FEMALE ski boots, just 0 buyers! my boots, even old stuff I sometimes may have set a kinda high price at, just flies. female stuff used 1-3 times (testing some stuff out) at -60% of msrp, still not moving.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have to sell your gear, you are admitting you bought the wrong gear in the first place, probably because it was cheap, which made it the right gear considering your financial situation, which hopefully has improved. If it has improved, then by all means, sell it.....next fall.

I agree with that. I try to keep my quiver small enough to be manageable (12 pairs currently) and never buy a ski on a whim. It is a long process that includes lotsa reading of reviews and thinking and every new pair I add need to provide a different dimension or strengthen the base I use most-that's why 2 pairs of SR95s, 2 pairs of WRTs etc etc.

So, carefully store everything till next fall. If I am tempted by a new model I might sell one of mine and replace it. If not-my quiver is perfectly good as it is now.

Sponsor

Staff online