• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stove-top Espresso Maker

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So my wife introduced me to civility this Christmas and got me one of these... No more instant espresso mix!! I have no clue about coffee and espresso making..but I'm'a gonna find out!! ogsmile

41132_XXX_v1.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So my wife introduced me to civility this Christmas and got me one of these... No more instant espresso mix!! I have no clue about coffee and espresso making..but I'm'a gonna find out!! ogsmile

41132_XXX_v1.jpg
Well she has started you out with the best home tool to do the job. We have a few of these and they make a great cup of Espresso. You have to get good coffee some say that it has to be beans but there is good ground espresso available. I am not fond of the Starbucks espresso but that is going to be something you will have to try to find out for yourself.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are great. I used to have one, but now I just can't wait that long in the morning for coffee, so I use a drip maker and pour off the first half cup before the rest drips into the pot. It's just like espresso :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you were in Kingston or Ottawa I could point you in the right direction for coffee beans....

Talking of Kingston, I am _not_ a fan of Cooke's Italian and French roasts.

If it were my Moka Pot I would ask for a fine grind of their Java or Kingston's Favourite - yes I know they're lighter roasts but they're far smoother and far less charry tasting, with a really aromatic crema.

@scott43. when pouring for two or more, never fill the first cup to the brim- fill it half full then top it off last.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good coffee, well roasted and cared for, will make a big difference. As will a burr grinder to grind your own to your own preferences. Once you go down that path, everything else will be .... meh.

Lots of good coffee to be found online and shipped: Intelligencia, Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Kickapoo. Personally, I stay away from dark roasts: you can get great richness and depth with the right coffee without burning the heck out of it. Starbucks is roasted past 2nd crack, and that's why it always tastes burned.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Talking of Kingston, I am _not_ a fan of Cooke's Italian and French roasts.

If it were my Moka Pot I would ask for a fine grind of their Java or Kingston's Favourite - yes I know they're lighter roasts but they're far smoother and far less charry tasting, with a really aromatic crema.

@scott43. when pouring for two or more, never fill the first cup to the brim- fill it half full then top it off last.

Kingston's favourite is mine too! I used to work for a major international food company that made instant coffee......Can't stand the stuff!
I just took my Bodum french press to the condo. So much nicer than the tassimo swill.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I see that the OP is from Toronto, I would bet that there is an Italian section of the city. Go to that section and look in the small local market, you will find a few different brands of espresso coffee. Give them a try to see which one you like.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I see that the OP is from Toronto, I would bet that there is an Italian section of the city. Go to that section and look in the small local market, you will find a few different brands of espresso coffee. Give them a try to see which one you like.
You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting an Italian... :D I'll ask some of my buddies to see what their nona and nono use..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Right now I have some Lavazza Rosso, some mixed blend that is very nice, and some Starbucks Dark Roast. Trying that tomorrow morning.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
From my experience (we have a backpack model, a three cup and a six cup model) don’t grind the coffee to fine. The backpacker and the three cup seem to work best with a medium fine grind and the six with a grind leaning more towards medium.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I almost always use a Moka Pot at home along with this:

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 2.35.56 AM.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hairbender coffee from Stumptown Roasters, ground to your preferred degree.

There can be only one!

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
The Starbucks just tastes burnt..which is what everyone says about Starbucks..equally burnt for quality control!! :D The Lavazza is nice and mellow, good flavour..and it's acually rosso when it comes out! The mixed blend is a bit flavoury..like they've blended some stuff in there but still quite nice. I find it's good to get the pot off the heat before it's actually finished..before it starts to bubble up..less bitter. Overall though, huge improvement over the instant espresso!! I'm going to try the Lavazza Creme Gusto next..it looks a bit nice. And apparently Kicking Horse coffee is good stuff! Who knew? So I have access to that stuff easy enough I'll give it a try. So good.

Sponsor