• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stuck in the wedge

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I should bring my music box & play vintage Country/Western. :roflmao:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
You guys have the boombox or stereo backpack skiers over there?
As long as the music does not involve clearly articulated cursing (such as my boy might learn), I find it amusing.

Also, while those dudes (almost always dudes) are not always the best skiers/boarders, they seem to not bomb down the hills all *that* fast - they're more about vibes. So I'll take it over high-speed straight-line bombers.

Its best when you see a guy with a big speaker on his person as he eats shit.
As long as they just crash themselves, I'm cool with it. And if the vibes are right and the crash not too bad, that kind of guy might pop up and go "Whoa" and I'll grin.

daniwrites

Booting up
Skier
Flappers are generally teen through 20s, male, jacket unzipped, no poles or poles held and not utilized. They proceed down advanced trails, groomed or not, at an alarming speed bouncing around in skidded semi-turns with an utter lack of control. If I spot a Flapper, or even better a group of Flappers in the wild, I stop and observe from a safe distance before proceeding down behind them.
Such a perfect description. Had one of these guys last weekend @ Belleayre clip my skis. His fall satisfied me, but wish ski patrol would have seen him.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ an excellent First-Post for @daniwrites -> Welcome !

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s time for the brain trust at the big 3 binding manufacturers to come up with the …” auto -eject binding’
Going too fast for conditions or you ability? No problem, “The Auto Eject 2000 ,with Anti- straight line technology ejects you from your skis and automatically activates the skis brakes to come to a gentle stop . The Auto Eject 2000 , making skiing safer ….for everyone else” available in DIN 3 through “it doesn’t matter.”:roflmao:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I basically have a policy regarding flappers / bombers -- if / when they crash / yardsale, I don't bother picking up their stuff. You can hike for it.

Had one of those semi-recently; guy flew past me, hit some roll-over and had a yard sale with his stuff spread over a good distance. He yelled to me for a "little help please". I skied down to him "uh, sorry, couldn't hear you?". Oh! Your stuff! I see... Well, enjoy the hike to get it back.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I basically have a policy regarding flappers / bombers -- if / when they crash / yardsale, I don't bother picking up their stuff. You can hike for it.

Had one of those semi-recently; guy flew past me, hit some roll-over and had a yard sale with his stuff spread over a good distance. He yelled to me for a "little help please". I skied down to him "uh, sorry, couldn't hear you?". Oh! Your stuff! I see... Well, enjoy the hike to get it back.
I took that one further last week. Grabbed the guys ski, skied past him and hucked it in the woods. As Warren Miller says, "Want your ski? Go get it".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was skimming and thought Erik threw someone's backpack speaker in the woods at first.. :yahoo: :roflmao:

I ski with theme music.. Every good skier should have some..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took that one further last week. Grabbed the guys ski, skied past him and hucked it in the woods. As Warren Miller says, "Want your ski? Go get it".
I like to think that I would have had the presence of mind to pick up the ski very calmly and advise the skier that he was free to pick it up at the patrol shack at the bottom of the hill. Then take it there.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier

A few weeks ago a flapper/bomber who'd been right behind me was evidently surprised that I did a hockey top next to a "slow" sign at a lift loading area. Weird of me, right? I heard "What the!!?? as I stopped. He skied over my tails and yardsailed some distance beyond.

As he staggered up I yelled at him, pointing to the "slow" sign saying "You see this!? You see this!?"

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm seeing a lot of bluetooth speakers attached. Sorry bud...don't like your music and don't want to hear it either.
In a tiny, tiny bit of possible defense for some of these people... there are resorts around here that blast music for you over much if the mountain, particularly where the terrain parks are. (Or they have at times in the past... not sure about some more recently.) So maybe some people just feel uncomfortable without the background noise... :rolleyes::cool::huh:

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only issue I have with the music is it's usually so distorted it sounds like shit, and most of it seems to be what I call mumble rap. I'm more receptive if it's "good" music :). I like most everything so not much offends my senses other than the distorted mumble crap. I do prefer when the lift operators just play what they want and I don't hear any other stuff.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was skimming and thought Erik threw someone's backpack speaker in the woods at first.. :yahoo: :roflmao:

I ski with theme music.. Every good skier should have some..

I'm assuming that like me, the theme music is in your head. I started with that as a kid in swim practice. Humming a song in your head made that set of 20 100's go by a little faster. The song I picked would depend on the pace of the set we were on. I tried singing out loud, somehow that didn't work as well while I was swimming.

Anyway, slightly suspect that for the young guys with the speakers on the slopes, it is more about what they want everyone else to think of them, rather than what they enjoy.

On a more serious note, I don't listen to music through headphones or speaker while skiing, as for me it cuts off my awareness of my surroundings. I feel it makes it safer on the slope for myself and others, and I am more in tune with the sounds and sensations of my skiing.

Sponsor