• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Study of 392 ACL injured out of 1817 skiers suggests which parameters could be considered to reduce the likelihood of ACL injury in rec skiers

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m dubious about the low skill connection. I wonder if it’s just not an artifact of the group studied.
Think I will make my next ski have their recommended parameters. Plus the Tyrolia Protector.
A 35meter GS ski from a few years ago will meet the parameters except length. Very cheap these days. Even free.

So what's the deal with the Rick Howell guy?
B1637607-8FC5-40EA-A854-F45687FC19BA.jpeg

Rick Howell racing for New England College at the NCAA Division-1 UVM Winter Carnival, 1975.

Plenty of info-

Wonder if @Doug Briggs raced Rick?

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
A 35meter GS ski from a few years ago will meet the parameters except length. Very cheap these days. Even free.
LOL. That's no bueno for Australia mate. Our runs are short and narrow.

And that's not even counting the human traffic, which makes them even more slalom-y

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My bindings are set several points over the standard DIN charts anyway. For me, retention is much more valued.
As someone who has skied with you, I find this odd, you are one of the more controlled skers on the hill who skis very smooth. This combined with a shorter BSL (which unto itself warrents a higher setting) I find it surprising that you feel the need to go well above your recommended settings.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

And that's not even counting the human traffic, which makes them even more slalom-y

Trial and error. Mostly error. :ogbiggrin:
I can set it lower for bumps and steeps. Walk out often on groomer if I am not careful.

James

Out There
Instructor

Australia really is the land of horrible skiing.
Zero desire to ever ski there.
Maybe consider another activity-

“Every Jerry has his day.”

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Zero desire to ever ski there.
Maybe consider another activity-

“Every Jerry has his day.”
LOL.

I mean agree. The accommodation is overpriced. The drive is long (for Sydneysiders anyway). Resort food is expensive and shitty to be honest.

But the snowgums and rocks and boulders are lovely. I think that alone makes it worth it, for me anyway. Peak season minimum temps of -5C is not too bad I think. Can't imagine being a Canuck and skiing -15C, for example. Slalom style skiing is growing on me.

But yeah don't go here for southern hemisphere skiing. It's not something I would wish on my worst enemies.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Yeah, that's the most crowded run at the worst possible time of day. There are other places where it isn't crowded and the runs are fine.

Couple of years back was demo-ing some Head skis and did a couple of laps with one of their reps from Austria. Guy said he'd been avoiding a winter visit to Australia for 20 years. But then discovered that Thredbo was in reality not so bad at all. Said it was no St Antons but stacked up well against many of their tier 2/3 resorts. And that wasn't even a great snow year.

He was less complementary about Vail's Perisher.

Still not a good reason to visit Oz for skiing. Just wouldn't want you to think it's always terrible here.

Can't imagine being a Canuck and skiing -15C

-15C is merely a little discomfort for the Canucks. They may pull on a face warmer or zip up their parker. Or maybe not.

Do recall a cold snap where the BC resort we were at wouldn't open any exposed lifts until the morning temp got up to -25C. Which is nothing compared to the temps they continue to ski in Alberta resorts.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Trial and error. Mostly error. :ogbiggrin:
I can set it lower for bumps and steeps. Walk out often on groomer if I am not careful.
...wild guess, all of your Stockli's and Volkl's are setup with with Markers.
Have you tried the Look Pivot, or should I ask how many of your quiver sport them?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
...wild guess, all of your Stockli's and Volkl's are setup with with Markers.
Have you tried the Look Pivot, or should I ask how many of your quiver sport them?

I have Marker, Tyrolia (Head/Fischer), Atomic and Look on my skis. No look pivot. Have skied them. Not my cup of tea.
I am perfectly happy and comfortable with my binding setups and settings. No point fixing what is not broken.
My bindings have released on occasions when I crash and burn. On most of those occasions, I don't even realize the ski is gone until I look down at my boot. I am good.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will disagree with this ... I have seen numerous, as in more than one case where a skier tried to stop a fall and tore their ACL. In some cases it is better not fight the fall and let it happen.
I agree. But it goes against our natural instincts to let a fall happen . When I was racing in high school we were taught that if we fell, ( GS) to not fight it and keep our skis off the snow as much as possible and don’t try to use them as brakes. That’s where a lot of injuries occur(red)- when a knee gets twisted under you. Of course if you do this right, you often slide around headfirst downhill on your rear and we didn’t wear helmets in the 70’s except in D.H. Trying to keep those 207’s locked onto your feet from catching as you slam into gates at 30 plus mph is not a fond memory.
Needless to say, I was a mediocre racer.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve seen people screw up their knee not moving, stamping their feet to get warm.

Sponsor