• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Studying in Argentina 2023

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi everyone,

I just found out that I will be studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina for nine months on a Fulbright grant in 2023! Of course, I want to fit some skiing (and also hopefully hiking) in Argentina or Chile into my trip, if possible. Does anybody know of any ski clubs or hiking clubs based in Buenos Aires? Any Argentina or Chile based Skitalk members I might be able to meet up with over there?

I am also looking for cost-saving tips on how to ski on the cheap in Argentina/Chile. I most likely will not have my own car while I’m there and will be taking public transportation/ taxis. I’ll be on a pretty tight student budget (so I’m guessing Portillo is out) but hoping that if I start saving now I will be able to afford at least one 5 or 6 day trip by July/August 2023, maybe more if I can travel as part of a group and share costs.

Thank you!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi everyone,

I just found out that I will be studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina for nine months on a Fulbright grant in 2023! Of course, I want to fit some skiing (and also hopefully hiking) in Argentina or Chile into my trip, if possible. Does anybody know of any ski clubs or hiking clubs based in Buenos Aires? Any Argentina or Chile based Skitalk members I might be able to meet up with over there?

I am also looking for cost-saving tips on how to ski on the cheap in Argentina/Chile. I most likely will not have my own car while I’m there and will be taking public transportation/ taxis. I’ll be on a pretty tight student budget (so I’m guessing Portillo is out) but hoping that if I start saving now I will be able to afford at least one 5 or 6 day trip by July/August 2023, maybe more if I can travel as part of a group and share costs.

Thank you!
WOOT! First and foremost, congrats on your Fulbright. That’s an amazing accomplishment. You will certainly have the experience of a lifetime during your studies there.

If you don’t get advice from someone on this site, try Reddit. Usually there’s subReddits associated with cities and hobbies. I imagine somebody at your school in Buenos Aires will be able to direct you to some resources, as well. You’ll have the advantage of a big city so odds are you will find people who share your interests.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I used to live in Chile and traveled extensively around Chile, Argentina and Brazil. From Buenos Aires it's an easy trip over to Bariloche (similar to Lake Tahoe only about 10x more beautiful) or Las Lenas. It's been a while since I lived down there but before I bought a car, I used to take buses all over and they were very comfortable and affordable and if you can sleep, a good way of traveling through the night to your destination (be sure to bring ear plugs for all the people snoring). Valle de Bravo and Portillo are worth visiting but lodging is more expensive there than in Argentina. Argentina and Chile both have some of amazing food of you are a meat lover and no steak house in America can touch some of the steaks I had down there.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My nephew and family live in BA. Bariloche is where most folks go. Not a day trip. Long drive. Smallish Bavarian style resort. Many people, including families, take an overnight bus. The family also had fun in Ushuaia. Cool to be at the bottom of the continent.

They absolutely loved the hiking in summer too.

And, yes, congratulations!

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
My nephew and family live in BA. Bariloche is where most folks go. Not a day trip. Long drive. Smallish Bavarian style resort. Many people, including families, take an overnight bus. The family also had fun in Ushuaia. Cool to be at the bottom of the continent.

They absolutely loved the hiking in summer too.

And, yes, congratulations!
Skiing in Ushuaia would be awesome! I'm hoping to do some (violin) teaching near Ushuaia as part of my Fulbright, so it might be possible for me to spend some time there : )

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Holly I'm a college professor, led student study abroad trips to Argentina for several years, always built in skiing. Plus several other trips to ski etc.

If you want to head out for a ski week trip, Bariloche is a very good option. I've flown and taken the bus from Buenos Aires. The bus is about 20 hours, but a very nice bus comfy seat easy to sleep.

But fly, it cost the same as the bus or less. 2 hours, airport close to Bariloche, under $100 if you plan ahead.

The town San Carlos de Bariloche is a good base. You ski at Cerro Catedral, but short transfer from Bariloche is easy, and Bariloche has better choices for everythinng.

The Cerro Catedral ski area is something like if you cut off the top 40% of Whistler ski area, cut it in half, and set it at lower elevation. It can be heavy snow sometimes but good skiing.

Everything else is tougher without a car.

Bariloche is an interesting town and area. It was uninhabitable by Europeans for a long time into the colonial period. Native people beat back all Spanish-associated attempts. Quite late in the game colonial Argentina started granting land down there to Germanic and Eastern Europeans to entice immigration. Local natives and these new Europeans both resented the Spanish/Italian hegemony, decided they could live together since the more middle fingers pointed at B.A. the better. As such it's been a place of both cozy European heritage, and fierce independence. It's where people go to drop out, live close to the land, lots of Green Party types, lots of libertarian types. Much more history and very pretty setting.

It is absolutely certain that there are ski clubs in B.A. doing group trips, and probably some through the University. I'd inquire with any liaison office that handles international students.

Have fun - Buenos Aires is one of the world's very greatest big cities. In my top 3 with Vienna and New York

Last edited:

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skiing in Ushuaia would be awesome! I'm hoping to do some (violin) teaching near Ushuaia as part of my Fulbright, so it might be possible for me to spend some time there : )
Ushuaia has a fun ski resort. It's like Alaska down there but without the big mountains, and the skiing is a bit farther from the town. Nice snow conditions. Car is helpful.

Stephanie_palms

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
The closest ski area is Las Leñas ski resort, which is only 737 miles away from Buenos Aires. But skiing in Santiago, Chile is without a doubt your best option if you are genuinely seeking for a city break that can be paired with skiing just a few hours from where you are staying. You may also connect with a local private tour guide there https://gowithguide.com/argentina/buenos-aires to have a glimpse of the city highlights.

Sponsor

Staff online