• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suffering

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the early 80’s I was an avid road runner, numerous 5 K’s 10 k’s and two marathons. I averaged about 10-12 miles per run a day . The first marathon was OK -I did better than I thought I would. The second one was brutal- 3 plus miles of a long winding grade through a thunderstorm. It was challenging mentally and physically as are all marathons but it was not suffering. Why? Because I had a choice- I could quit at any time. I was not under duress or any circumstances truly beyond my control. In retrospect, I’m always glad I ran those races as the personal reward for meeting the challenge or exceeding your own expectations is wonderful. They come with a price however in time ,energy spent and physical wear and tear. That’s a personal calculation that’s different for everyone .

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My old MTB had the classic Niner "Pedal, Damn It!" sticker on the top tube. I always found that friendly and inspiring. My new-ish road bike has a similar but more high-falutin' message that I also like: "Ex Duris Gloria." Getting off your ass is hard. I need all the help I can get.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I was wondering this morning - if you take the suffering out of cycling is it still cycling?

I think it's kind of the same with skiing. It's not supposed to be easy. If it was easy and everyone could just inherently do it, being good at it would have no meaning.

I don't 'suffer' in cycling or skiing...
I'm there for the smiles!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's almost time for the annual Trek stem cap challenge.
I got a mug last year. A t-shirt the year before.
I do think I also got a stem cap two years ago, but I have a stem cap tool in there, so can't use a custom stem cap.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it still intact? More than half the box arrived smashed at our local shop - and mine didn't survive even two months of curious kittens.
A NORAD missile silo probably couldn't survive two months of curious kittens.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it still intact? More than half the box arrived smashed at our local shop - and mine didn't survive even two months of curious kittens.
Yes, but I haven't used it. I was going to put it in my camper, but forgot. I have way too many mugs.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Looks like there was a bit if suffering in the 'ol Tour yesterday. One guy finished with two broken elbows. Ouch!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought of this thread when I was reading my morning devotion.

Suffering is just as important as well-being.

Like a tree accepts all seasons, accept your suffering with grace. Good days, like sunshine, will help you bloom and prosper. Hard days, like storms, will make you strong and resilient.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel like I suffered the other day when I got a "grouchy" flat that resulted in me walking a mile and a half back to the car.

Uphill.

In the mid-day sun.

In carbon-soled racing shoes.

Could have been much worse -- the outermost point of my loop was 11 miles from the car -- but I'm still going to complain! :ogbiggrin:

OTOH, a week before that, I broke a rear axle 15 miles out, and managed to nurse it back to car, so it cuts both ways.

If trouble comes in threes.......well, I don't even want to think about it. :geek:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought of this thread when I was reading my morning devotion.

Suffering is just as important as well-being.

Like a tree accepts all seasons, accept your suffering with grace. Good days, like sunshine, will help you bloom and prosper. Hard days, like storms, will make you strong and resilient.
I'd been sitting on my butt for over a week. I have excuses but they're excuses. Today I was determined to get out for a long (for me) road ride to get back in the game. Didn't hydrate well enough. Didn't bring the right electrolytes. Started cramping up 15 mi and a bunch of hills from home. Classic stupid weekend warrior performance. :nono: Stupid, but I was suffering.

Now I'm sitting here with a bowl of salty fish chowder - which shows what the weather has been like here - watching Stage 9 of the Tour. They are on like their fourth huge climb of the day in the Alps - now headed up to Tignes. It's been freezing and pouring rain all day there. They are so cold they can't get their gloves and jackets on. They can't brake well. These guys are REALLY suffering.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How's the suffering on the bike going this summer?

I'm on the sidelines after having some work done and can't ride for a few more months. Enjoy your suffering, and please share so I can join you vicariously. :D

I thought of this thread when I pulled out this old t-shirt for yard work today:

PXL_20220716_211950459.jpg

That ride was billed as the toughest century in the country while they were still doing it—no doubt it was a very tough day.

The first thing that came to mind was this fantastic article from the guy who finished very last:

Here's to the back of the packers!

As someone who's spent plenty of time at the back of the pack, I know we can suffer far more than those who finish in half the time. Cheers to all who take on a challenge that requires suffering!

Sponsor

Staff online