• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggestions 2021 Carving Ski

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Hello Pugski community,

Looking for some opinions on a good new ski. I am shorter 5'5' 150lbs currently ski with a Salomon XDrive 163cm ski for last 5 years. I am getting stronger at carving over the past few seasons so looking for a good new pair of skis with some speed and carving ability. I am debating getting into an Atomic but with all Camber it is a stiff ski so not sure if it would be a good option for my size and weight. Any suggestions out there for a fast good ski? I started looking at Nordica Dobermann Spitfires not sure I want the XBS system or not but it is on my list.

Thanks all for any opinions and I will check out more options this week.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You are pretty light so you are going to want a ski that will bend. Are you looking for a FIS type turn radius, 12m-ish or something more versatile in the 14-15m range? Do you want to be in the upper 60mm-70mm range or 75-80mm? Regarding the Nordica XBS were a 10 year old plate and not concern with a modern choice. YOu can start getting some ideas by using our Ski Selector. Start plugging your parameters im read the "Who is to for/Who is it not for" descriptions and make yourself a short list. Take a look our Cage Matches too, you will get some ideas there.

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
You are pretty light so you are going to want a ski that will bend. Are you looking for a FIS type turn radius, 12m-ish or something more versatile in the 14-15m range? Do you want to be in the upper 60mm-70mm range or 75-80mm? Regarding the Nordica XBS were a 10 year old plate and not concern with a modern choice. YOu can start getting some ideas by using our Ski Selector. Start plugging your parameters im read the "Who is to for/Who is it not for" descriptions and make yourself a short list. Take a look our Cage Matches too, you will get some ideas there.
I may take a look at the Atomix X7 little softer ski. Honestly I don't know much about the FIS turn radius but I will try the ski selector. Thanks appreciate your time learning still about ski types.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I may take a look at the Atomix X7 little softer ski. Honestly I don't know much about the FIS turn radius but I will try the ski selector. Thanks appreciate your time learning still about ski types.
Read the descriptions at the bottom of the Ski Selector page. Let me rephrase the question, are you looking for a ski that is going to make a short radius turn or a medium one? Do you want make a days worth of turns by 10AM? or lunch?

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Read the descriptions at the bottom of the Ski Selector page. Let me rephrase the question, are you looking for a ski that is going to make a short radius turn or a medium one? Do you want make a days worth of turns by 10AM? or lunch?
Ah got ya now as I am still a newb with some concepts but going to learn I got two kids on the race team. We are gonna go with lunch medium size clean turns as that is how I ski now I can't get through gates like my kids put it that way lol. I start drinking at lunch time and call it a day many times. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ah got ya now as I am still a newb with some concepts but going to learn I got two kids on the race team. We are gonna go with lunch medium size clean turns as that is how I ski now I can't get through gates like my kids put it that way lol. I start drinking at lunch time and call it a day many times. :)
Something in the mid 70mm underfoot will do a good amount of the carving that it sounds like you will need at your growth level.

Here is a great place to start if you are looking to save money: https://www.pugski.com/threads/2016-stöckli-laser-ax-167-aaatack-13-demo.19056/

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm your size and weight. I've been skiing tuned down race skis for years. Currently have the Rossi Hero ST carbon and the MT carbon in the stable. I found the Dobermann SLC's too stiff and sold them off to an instructor at Tremblant. Both of my skis are discontinued this pass year. So only the Ti version is available. I'm going to try to demo before getting a new pair this time.

Plunk in your info in the selector and see what comes up. It's on target as far as I'm concerned.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I own and have tried quite a few sport carving skis in the 70-80mm width range. Ones that come to mind that might work for what you describe include the Head SuperShape i.Speed or e.Speed (not the Rebel i.Speed), Stockli SC, Head SuperShape i or e.Magnum, Rossignol Hero Elite MT, Liberty V76, Stockli AX, Head SuperShape i or e.Rally. You can save some money by getting last year's models.

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
I'm your size and weight. I've been skiing tuned down race skis for years. Currently have the Rossi Hero ST carbon and the MT carbon in the stable. I found the Dobermann SLC's too stiff and sold them off to an instructor at Tremblant. Both of my skis are discontinued this pass year. So only the Ti version is available. I'm going to try to demo before getting a new pair this time.

Plunk in your info in the selector and see what comes up. It's on target as far as I'm concerned.
Awesome thanks.

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
I own and have tried quite a few sport carving skis in the 70-80mm width range. Ones that come to mind that might work for what you describe include the Head SuperShape i.Speed or e.Speed (not the Rebel i.Speed), Stöckli SC, Head SuperShape i or e.Magnum, Rossignol Hero Elite MT, Liberty V76, Stöckli AX, Head SuperShape i or e.Rally. You can save some money by getting last year's models.
I will check these out thanks

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m the same height and weight as you and I ski on the Liberty V76 165cm as my carver and all mountain ski for up to 6” of fresh. While it’s not a race carver, It Is a really fun ski, much more versatile than the 76mm waist suggests and almost universally loved here on Pugski. Read the many reviews. The Liberty website has it on clearance as well as demos with bindings for sale: www.libertyskis.com.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January