• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bigskymck

Booting up
Skier
Howdy: I'm a longtime Colorado Epic skier who now has access to a free place to stay in Taos and a season pass. It's been fun this year exploring the chutes and trees of Taos. But it's clear my Colorado gear (several FIS skis SL and GS and a 190 cm 110 underfoot powder ski) are not ideal for the terrain in Taos. I've been using a 72 underfoot Vist ski but hate to ruin the sweet Italian bases, and they're too narrow for deep/heavy snow on Kachina peak.
Looking for something used because of Taos' rocks. I don't want to worry about core shots. Also something fairly short and manuverable (I'm 5'10, 170 pounds) and maybe in the mid-90s underfoot range.
Any ideas from Taos locals or those who know the mountain better than me?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots depends on your technical skills.
One of the most popular skis with the Taos local/regular/instructors with decent technical skills is the Stockli SR88.
Taos is a pretty tight mountain with decent sized bumps and relatively firm snow. Most Taos skiers I know like their skis narrower and shorter than most from the front range.

FWIW, my son is usually on a pair of Atomic FIS SL when he is at Taos. Works well for him.

James

Out There
Instructor

FWIW, my son is usually on a pair of Atomic FIS SL when he is at Taos. Works well for him.
Is he selling some? Op wants used. Surely you have an old pair of Kendos. How are those for Taos?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Calling @King Grump

At Taos you will not be going very fast but you will want to make plenty of braking turns in bumps.
Big bumps, little bumps, bumps with trees, plain old regular bumps, and icy bumps.
Or it might be horribly cut up crud with Texans.
Something short, straight and flexy would be best.
If you are good, big and tireless try some slaloms.

TS
bigskymck

bigskymck

Booting up
Skier
Calling @King Grump

At Taos you will not be going very fast but you will want to make plenty of braking turns in bumps.
Big bumps, little bumps, bumps with trees, plain old regular bumps, and icy bumps.
Or it might be horribly cut up crud with Texans.
Something short, straight and flexy would be best.
If you are good, big and tireless try some slaloms.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, he/she already said he/she has FIS SLs and the like ... needs something for the deeper days. I very much enjoyed both my Kästle FX85s and Stöckli SR 95s in the tighter, bumpier spots at Taos, but the rocks... yeah. Maybe a K2 Pinnacle 95, Blizzard Rustler 9 or 10, Armada Tracer 98, Nordica Soul Rider?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is he selling some? Op wants used. Surely you have an old pair of Kendos. How are those for Taos?

No, he is not allow to sell my skis. They are not his skis. Shall we say he is just sampling the skis from MY collection.
He took out a new pair of Atomic GS (from my collection) at Stratton for couple days over the past weekend. He thinks he needs a bigger hill.

Definitely no and no on the Kendo. I'm tired of being yell at after I recommend the Kendo. Anyway, you don't really want my Kendo(s) after I put a 100 days on them. They act like a Fusilli on firm snow.

Well, he/she already said he/she has FIS SLs and the like ... needs something for the deeper days. I very much enjoyed both my Kästle FX85s and Stöckli SR 95s in the tighter, bumpier spots at Taos, but the rocks... yeah. Maybe a K2 Pinnacle 95, Blizzard Rustler 9 or 10, Armada Tracer 98, Nordica Soul Rider?

The FX85 is good. Nice soft forgiving tip. Big sweet spot. The SR95 is fantastic in 5" to 8". Turns short too.

TS
bigskymck

bigskymck

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for your thoughts. To help narrow some choices: I am a technically strong skier (grew up on the Jeep-powered rope tow on Teton Pass and on Snow King, race background blah blah) and can still lay over my race stock skis on Colorado groomers. But I'm old now, and I have a repaired ACL that doesn't like to be jarred and jostled by mixed terrain at higher speeds. I like Taos because the terrain demands different tactics, turn shapes and speed than Colorado mountains, but I'm no longer willing/able to charge in that terrain. I "think" I'm looking for a relatively quick turning, softer, shorter ski, that I can use for slower brushed, slarved turns in the trees, chutes and bumps with acceptable float in fresh snow on Kachina.
I'll investigate the 80 range of skis as suggested. I see a lot of Stocklis in Taos. Nice. But I want a cheap enough ski to not care when I hit a half buried rock on a travese into a chute. Taos groomers are meh, so that is my lowest priority. Thanks S Brown for the other, more affordable suggestions. I'll check them out. I've tried the search function, but the choices going back several years are overwhelming. I'm looking not for the latest and greatest but for a specific battle-scarred tool I can just leave in a closet when I leave Taos.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Taos because the terrain demands different tactics, turn shapes and speed than Colorado mountains, but I'm no longer willing/able to charge in that terrain. I "think" I'm looking for a relatively quick turning, softer, shorter ski, that I can use for slower brushed, slarved turns in the trees, chutes and bumps with acceptable float in fresh snow on Kachina.

Probably a good bet is sign up for a ski week. They do teach a rather different approach to bump skiing. Best $270 you can spend there.
Since you are looking for something less expensive and have good technicals. Give the Kendo a try. 2015 or late model. My favorite ski at Taos. The new Mantra M5 is surprising good in the bumps and have better float and drift than the Kendo.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

I "think" I'm looking for a relatively quick turning, softer, shorter ski, that I can use for slower brushed, slarved turns in the trees, chutes and bumps with acceptable float in fresh snow....

Other than "shorter" that's my Nordica Navigator 85. Very quick and easy to turn in bumps and steeps. My other skis never even came out of the bag the week I was in Taos.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the most popular skis with the Taos local/regular/instructors with decent technical skills is the Stockli SR88.

^^^Good recommendation. If I could pick only one ski for Taos, it would be the Stockli SR88 or the Monster 88. If you want a price point ski you can bash without sadness, the Nordica Navigator 85/90 might be a reasonable alternative.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the 2018 K2 Pinnacle 88. They tick the boxes you and. Some killer deals for new skis on the Internet too.

TS
bigskymck

bigskymck

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for your suggestions. I just got back from a couple sunny days in Taos. Bumps, bumps, bumps, as a couple posters had warned me. They aren't my forte, so I'll keep that in mind when looking at width and length. As I try to get better, I don't want to be fighting a ski.
Taos (town and ski area) is a funny, funky, slightly gritty place. Pretty much everyone looks stoned. I felt like I was back in Missoula in 1972. You know, when life was good...
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January