• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Suicide-Six Resort is changing its name to Saskadena Six

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

JUNE 28, 2022​

We’d like to share some news with our S6 family.
The Suicide Six name will be retired this summer. Our resort team embraces the increasing awareness surrounding mental health and shares the growing concerns about the insensitive nature of the historical name. The feelings that the word “suicide” evokes can have a significant impact on many in our community.
The Suicide Six Ski Area has an enduring legacy spanning nearly nine decades, and it is vital that the name better represents and celebrates what makes it a beloved and vibrant part of this community. Though some may find the change difficult, we stand by our conviction that this evolution is warranted for an iconic treasure and, more importantly, necessary to continue its rich history of inclusion and accessibility.
After much thought and consideration, research and community outreach, a new name has been developed and will be announced in the coming weeks.
This change is being made with great care and respect. We look forward to sharing it with you soon.

Link:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Good for them. Always thought it was a bit of a weird name and probably a significant marketing negative for those that didn't get the tradition or irony. No one would call a racecourse "Kiddie Killer Alley" in the modern era for instance despite the slang vernacular for fast performance skis.

As for new names Big Woody seems family friendly ;)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So what's the story with the current name?

By the end of the 1934-35 season, the relationship between Bertram and Clint Gilbert had become strained. Worried that he wasn’t getting an accurate percentage of the ski business, Gilbert attached Bertram’s bank account. Bertram decided to sever his relation with Gilbert and went looking for a new hill.
This led him to hill No. 6 on the topological map, only a short distance from Gilbert’s hill. Bertram built a ski tow on the south-facing side known as the Gully with the help of the Fisk family, who bought the land and let Bertram use it rent-free. Bunny’s Ski Tows opened for the 1935-36 season.
Even though the Gully is now part of Suicide Six, not until 1937 could Bertram procure the rest of hill No. 6. He was able to purchase the top of the hill and the land on the northeast side — the steep side. Legend has it that Bertram, when looking at the steep northeast face of hill No. 6, said that “it would be suicide to ski straight down that face.”

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Folks are all just a little to sensitive/thin skinned for my taste.
A name is just a name, nothing more.
No, a name is a powerful marketing tool.

I suspect the change reflects the vision of the owner(s). As the old timers age out of the sport, they're looking to attract the new customers from the "socially conscious" crowd.

(I've not skied at S6. But just from the name, I sort of got the impression it's got some expert "suicidal" terrain! Except that sort of terrain, or the impression of such terrain, isn't the most lucrative market)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I knew where the "suicide" part of the name came from, but not the "six" part.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully they don't hire the same company that came up with Palisades at Tahoe.

James

Out There
Instructor
Always has been an odd name.

Pretty much learned to ski there and Mt Tom up the road, which is close to Woodstock and across from Billings Farm. I think it was a dual ticket. I’m pretty sure we sometimes did both the same day.

Mt Tom, defunct for a long time, was the beginner area and much easier. There’s a small nursery school there now where the “lodge” was I think. If you could call it a lodge. Very small. Behind that was the bunny hill, to the right was the main poma. Can’t remember if the bunny slope was rope tow or poma.

The Face at Suicide was never groomed before winch cats were invented. It’s too steep. Consequently, it was a steep mogul run. Despite having little vert, 600? It was good prep for skiing most places. It really takes steep to prepare for steep. No way really to get used to it.

Going to Stowe, I don’t remember an “omg we’re going to die” thought on the front four. They were just much longer.
Except for Goat or Starr, can’t remember which, but they were another level. I do remember sliding down in a fall on one of those and only being stopped by a mogul.

Suicide had two pomas, one went up the main hill where the chair is now. The chair is slow, the poma was better. But the top is a black diamond. It was common to see people walking down when they fell off.

Probably why I have a love of pomas, though Europe with all those rope reel pomas is changing that. A ten plus minute ride up steep on those isn’t great. But the ones with the metal poles, like the top of Snowmass, those are the good ones.

It was a great place to ski as a kid. We used to make dozens of runs in a day, just on our own or following a French instructor who spoke little English down the Face. Many runs were just to tuck the whole of Easy Mile, a green trail.
The grooming of the face changes things a lot. Been like that for decades, and it makes it essentially a different place.

They do hold supposedly the longest running ski race in North America, the Fisk Trophy, a slalom race. I’m sure @S.H. has been many times as well as @Muleski when it still was bamboo through the modern gates.

This one from 5 years ago was won by Robby Kelley. Write up is by Tucker Marshall, son of Barbara, the former psia examiner, famous for her huge puffy down coats and skiing last lift with her groups. Brothers Jesse and Cody, sister Chelsea. All were on the US Ski Team at one time.

The name-
—————————
This led him to hill No. 6 on the topological map, [prepared for them], only a short distance from Gilbert’s hill. Bertram built a ski tow on the south-facing side known as the Gully with the help of the Fisk family, who bought the land and let Bertram use it rent-free. Bunny’s Ski Tows opened for the 1935-36 season.

Even though the Gully is now part of Suicide Six, not until 1937 could Bertram procure the rest of hill No. 6. He was able to purchase the top of the hill and the land on the northeast side — the steep side. Legend has it that Bertram, when looking at the steep northeast face of hill No. 6, said that “it would be suicide to ski straight down that face.”

Later, in thinking up a name for his new, expanded area, he recalled his comment and remembered the power of alliteration from his high school English class: hence Suicide Six.
——————

There’s more interesting parts of the story-

They might just call it Woodstock as it’s the only ski area left there. Even though it’s in South Pomfret.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why are brands so precious about their names?
It takes time and money to get name recognition, to change it can be extremely costly, just look at Nissan. Just changing the logo can be risky. IMHO, Palisades Tahoe made a huge mistep with their name choice.

We were very cognizant of this when we went from Pugski to SkiTalk, one of the reason we kept the logo the same font, color and layout.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully they don't hire the same company that came up with Palisades at Tahoe.

Palisades Tahoe made a huge mistep with their name choice.
I still like it... and the logo. I think they're own inconsistent usage of the new name (and the names to differentiate Olympic Valley from Alpine Meadows) is definitely part of the problem. Maybe with the new gondola and packaging it more as one large resort they'll start to fix things.

It would seem the thread title could use a name change too.

Why? It hasn't changed yet.

How about Wicked Six?
I like it!

Sponsor