• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Suicide-Six Resort is changing its name to Saskadena Six

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
and if you ever ate scallops back in the day in FL, quite possibly you may have been eating some type of ray

What, they cut them out with a cylinder?

So when I was a kid I managed to hall in a big skate on a freshwater rod at the national seashore. An English lady advised to use a cookie cutter to cut up the fins and cook them like….scallops. My mother was not interested in that experiment, so we threw it back.

I think you should take this to the seafood thread!

James

Out There
Instructor
Well looks like the lodge at Mt Tom was a little bigger than I thought. Farmhouse style.

CED3A455-EA29-4C0A-BA9C-27741119D779.jpeg
The small one behind is I think the current nursery school. The large one is no longer there.

57E5E52A-0E61-47C6-B9EE-0347940D2EA5.jpeg
The main poma. I remember some sort of “race camp” we did that had a course on that trail left of the poma.

70ED3B04-7EA2-4270-A08D-B870C8815D50.jpeg
The logos are very Civil Defense insignia style. Such honesty in slope count- Suicide has “three”. Which makes no sense to the modern mind. Even I wouldn’t blink at saying six. By today’s standard there’s at least a dozen.

Photos from here:

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
It takes time and money to get name recognition, to change it can be extremely costly, just look at Nissan. Just changing the logo can be risky. IMHO, Palisades Tahoe made a huge mistep with their name choice.

We were very cognizant of this when we went from Pugski to SkiTalk, one of the reason we kept the logo the same font, color and layout.

They were always Nissan. The Datsun name was a deflection for the American market in case things didn't go well. Many here thought Japan sold junk. Once things were established and all was well they just dropped the Datsun.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They were always Nissan. The Datsun name was a deflection for the American market in case things didn't go well. Many here thought Japan sold junk. Once things were established and all was well they just dropped the Datsun.
Correct, that is not the debate here. And how did the name change go? Not well.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Correct, that is not the debate here. And how did the name change go? Not well.
Phil, you were in the business of selling cars so you may have had a different perspective. I don't remember it causing that much trouble, it just took folks a while to understand that Nissan was the parent company.

I still don't think everyone links Mini to BMW even today.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I hope they come up with a good one!

As long as they don't call it something like "Snö Mountain"—as Montage was briefly known before reverting to the original name.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
:wag:BACK TO TOPIC:cattledog:

“Suicide Six” was confusing branding for what is essentially a beginner friendly ski area. Hopefully the new name will impart the beginner friendly personality of the hill as well as the upscale lodging, great food scene, and classic New England charm in Woodstock.

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
:wag:BACK TO TOPIC:cattledog:

“Suicide Six” was confusing branding for what is essentially a beginner friendly ski area. Hopefully the new name will impart the beginner friendly personality of the hill as well as the upscale lodging, great food scene, and classic New England charm in Woodstock.
Yeah, but S6 is anything but upscale.

Après Skier

Skier
Yeah, but S6 is anything but upscale.
The ski area may be rustic, but isn’t the adjacent town of Woodstock comprised of upscale inns, farm-to-table restaurants, a covered bridge, and quaint town center? These are all assets the ski area can leverage.

Or are my memories glazed over by the 10-tons of maple candy I ate while in Vermont?

Last edited:

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What some people today refer to as being “PC“ or “sensitive“, back in my day was referred to it as being polite and exercising common courtesy. I’m not sure when it became acceptable to be awful, but some people sure seem to love wallowing in it.

Thankfully, there are still many people like you who abide by the rules of common courtesy and common sense. Now I need to brush my teeth. Some of the other comments in this thread have left a bad taste in my mouth.
I happen to agree with him. Like a suicide is one of my favorite songs, should I call it something else? Suicidal tendencies was huge for me growing up, I crank them still today, do they need to change their names? can I casually talk to someone about the topic of suicide and use the word, or should I find a different one because someone might hear it and be offended? which by the way was one of their great all time lines, "maybe you needed to be offended"

It's not about being polite or rude or anything else. It was the name of a ski hill. I care not what they call it, I never even heard of it before living where I do, but to think it couldn't be called by the same name today because it's "insensitive"? It's a ski hill. what's the big deal?

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
It's a ski hill. what's the big deal?
Right. But doesn’t that also call into question the withering criticism the name change is being met with from certain people? If the name of a ski hill is no big deal, then shouldn’t changing the name of a ski hill also be no big deal? Yet it’s a very big deal for many of you for reasons that appear to be outside the scope of this forum.

As long as they keep the name “Killington” and don’t change it to “Peace-ington”

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
The ski area may be rustic, but isn’t the adjacent town of Woodstock comprised of upscale inns, farm-to-table restaurants, a covered bridge, and quaint town center? These are all assets the ski area can leverage.

Or are my memories glazed over by the 10-tons of maple candy I ate while in Vermont?
Yes, it is. But doing so would change the character of what is soon-to-be-formerly S6. I don't think anywhere close to the majority of people skiing there are tourists from Woodstock, despite the Woodstock Inn owning the area ... it's locals. It's not my home mountain (and never was), and I don't have statistics, so it's possible I'm very wrong, but that's my feel from well over 100 days there in the past 10-15 years.

If the people staying in the upscale inns in Woodstock are skiing ... they're going to Killington (30 min up the road) or other larger destinations.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier

S6 is part of the Woodstock Inn and Resort. The Inn is downtown. Very posh.

Après Skier

Skier
The name change is no-brainer. S6 is ultimately a very beginner friendly hill. Think of all the nice Mid-Atlantic families who would love a New England get-away to practice on a small hill and teach the kiddos. All the boxes are checked: comfy rooms at the Woodstock Inn, sleigh rides, farm-to-table dinners… but then, oops, do we really trust a place called Suicide Six to teach our 4-year old to ski?

We tend to forget how non-skiers perceive our sport as incredibly dangerous. Having “suicide” in your name is a turn-off.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it likely that the number of people who would be upset by the name due to being personally affected by suicide is quite small? Yeah. it probably is. Is that small number a sufficient reason to change the name? If the owners think so, then yes.

I appreciate the history of the place and skied there on the Indy Pass last year. It was certainly better than a day spent not skiing, but not sure I'd pay for a ticket there. It manages to ski smaller than its 600 vertical feet and the bar area of the lodge is way too small.

Mod edit: portions about other deleted content taken out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thread is locked for cleanup.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Cleanup complete. The thread is now 17 posts shorter. All posts relating to thin skin, PC, woke, easily offended, etc. and those that quoted said posts have been deleted. Any further posts in that vein will result in locking of the thread. In other words, don't go there. Thank you.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It takes time and money to get name recognition, to change it can be extremely costly, just look at Nissan. Just changing the logo can be risky. IMHO, Palisades Tahoe made a huge mistep with their name choice.

We were very cognizant of this when we went from Pugski to SkiTalk, one of the reason we kept the logo the same font, color and layout.
Can my part of this post be deleted please because now the thread edit totally fails to properly reflect the original rhetorical context.

Ta

And just out of interest if someone says something from a particular perspective that the mods are happy to let sit for an extended period of time how do we know when we're ok to respond to that in a civilised but intellectially honest manner?

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's kind of ironic that a ski area in Vermont has had the name "suicide" in it for such a long time. Vermont is the one state I know of that does have a more pronounced problem with this subject. My daughter attended college in Vermont and every 6 weeks they were given a week off and the premise was that this was to prevent suicides. Such a pretty state but apparently a lot of unhappiness too.

On a lighter note (meaning I am joking) Vermont is a state full of "Deadheads" (there's two targets for name changes, Deadheads and The Grateful Dead) so not everything in Vermont is so sensitive.

Sponsor

Staff online