• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Suicide-Six Resort is changing its name to Saskadena Six

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cleanup complete. The thread is now 17 posts shorter. All posts relating to thin skin, PC, woke, easily offended, etc. and those that quoted said posts have been deleted. Any further posts in that vein will result in locking of the thread. In other words, don't go there. Thank you.
Thank you.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can my part of this post be deleted please because now the thread edit totally fails to properly reflect the original rhetorical context.

Ta

And just out of interest if someone says something from a particular perspective that the mods are happy to let sit for an extended period of time how do we know when we're ok to respond to that in a civilised but intellectially honest manner?
To be fair. We left the thread in tact at first because the members did a fairly good job of self moderating. Then it went a little sideways, which is when we decided it needed us to jump in.
Sorry for that, but this is a site that usually does a good job of self moderating.

I guess summer is getting the best of us.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be fair. We left the thread in tact at first because the members did a fairly good job of self moderating. Then it went a little sideways, which is when we decided it needed us to jump in.
Sorry for that, but this is a site that usually does a good job of self moderating.

I guess summer is getting the best of us.

Really goes to the importance of branding and market perception (as touched upon in this thread)… I was not mad when my posts got deleted, as I can’t imagine that you guys want SkiTalk to be perceived as a lawless wasteland overrun by total grumpypants. There can only be one King Grump after all.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Really goes to the importance of branding and market perception (as touched upon in this thread)… I was not mad when my posts got deleted, as I can’t imagine that you guys want SkiTalk to be perceived as a lawless wasteland overrun by total grumpypants. There can only be one King Grump after all.
And I know you love us because you love pugs ;)
:pug:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kudos to them. Frankly just surprised such a stupid name has survived for so long.

I wonder what force motivated the change? Do they need to rebrand because one of the mega passes (Ikon/Epic) won't bring them in otherwise?

The Indy pass picked them up last season. Same for this upcoming season. So I don't think the name is deterrent to the mega passes. They are probably too small for the mega passes to be attracted. I always wanted to ski there because of the name, I took it as intended, they must have a steep challenging hill that might be fun. I was never given a trophy "just" for participating as a kid. I can see where millennials and younger skiers might be turned off by the name. Curious to hear what the new name will be, but I am still waiting for the Washington Football Team to make their announcement too.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The one they did in February when they chose the name of a Jeep?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
A sweet old, local, little ski area that still exists amid the bigger ares owned and operated by publicly traded companies is pretty damn cool. Plenty of ski history at this place, I skied there back in elementary/middle school and my grandfather and Dad ski there while at Dartmouth. Sorry to see the name change....it's a pretty cool name.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
746B5E72-0CAB-41FF-ADFA-433397704876.jpeg
Wait? S6 changed their previously insensitive to mental health name to one that culturally appropriates the Abenaki people’s heritage?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the technique of announcing the change intended to build more buzz than just announcing the new name?

James

Out There
Instructor
Is the technique of announcing the change intended to build more buzz than just announcing the new name?
I think it was to give people time to digest it. Kind of like tearing down the Killington lodge last April.
First day, “Aww, so sad.”

Second Day, “Taking another stroll past the destruction of memories”

Third Day, “They’re really taking their time with this thing. Ya know that lodge really was a dump.”

Fourth Day, “It’s so annoying there’s this construction zone making us walk around. Had they blown it up quickly, we could ski from one side to the other.”
changed their previously insensitive to mental health name to one that culturally appropriates the Abenaki people’s heritage?
Yeah, like Manhattan.

I’m fine with the new name.
I think the cultural issues were passed long ago when they were essentially slaughtered and treated like vermin.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I think the cultural issues were passed long ago when they were essentially slaughtered and treated like vermin.

^ They are still being delegitimized; this was 2 months back.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 173330
Wait? S6 changed their previously insensitive to mental health name to one that culturally appropriates the Abenaki people’s heritage?
My understanding is that the local Abenaki leadership were consulted prior to the name change. This is their version of a land acknowledgment or something.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Per the website:
“As a place-based people, the Nulhegan Abenaki tribe appreciates the opportunity to work with the Woodstock resort team to rename this place and recognize its historic context as part of the land. This ‘standing mountain’ has been used by thousands of Abenaki ancestors for over 11,000 years and hopefully many more in the future. By acknowledging the original language of this place, the name Saskadena Six will honor the ancient legacy of the Abenaki alongside that of the generations who have loved it over the past 90 years and into the future.”

“This is more than renaming this place, this is recognizing the original stewardship of this land and providing cultural education to those who visit this standing mountain. I truly value the partnership that connects our past, present, and future stewardship in protecting this special place.”

- Chief Don Stevens, Nulhegan Band of the Coosuk-Abenaki Nation

James

Out There
Instructor

^ They are still being delegitimized; this was 2 months back.
There’s no equivalence here. The paragraph above by Chief Don Stevens lays it out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I only wish Squaw Valley/Palisades Tahoe had taken such care in renaming.
:(

Sponsor

Staff online