• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer skiing for the "nuts" like me : Portillo or New Zealand?

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
Hello.
Finally retired from working. Ready to treat myself to a nice(?) skiing summer trip . Either Portillo for a week or New Zealand for 2 weeks.
Cost is not an issue.
Any advice, tips or suggestions from the crowd ?
Trying to get some insights beside the nice glossy web sites !
Thank you for reading and or answering!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you set on Portillo for South American skiing? There are lots of other places too, though like you I've only read about them or read reports on here.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
We were in New Zealand a few years back for another reason and I was planning on getting some early season(for them) skiing in. Snow didn’t cooperate, so we spent a week driving around the South Island surfing, hotspringing and wine tasting.
We’ve been to 20 -25 counties and the south island of New Zealand has to be one of my favorites!

I havent made it to South America, covid canceled that trip, but its on my someday list.

sorry I don’t have any useful info other than, yeah do it! Sounds awesome! Keep us posted where you go.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always wanted to ski Las Lenas. A friend went several years ago with his daughters and loved it.

Don't hold me to this, but IIRC he said it is now a private resort, so only guests ski, and guests party LATE, so the slopes were near-eerily empty every morning until 11.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've instructed in Portillo for 9 winters and NZ (Queenstown) for 4. Portillo on a good day is genuinely incredible, but sadly in recent years it hasn't snowed much, I would keep an eye on the early season accumulation and make your decisions based off of that.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Heli skiing in Iceland on corn snow if cost is no issue. Book a month. Fly fish on your day off in between heli weeks. The Alpenglow of twilight lasts for hours.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent a week in Portillo in 2018. Had an amazing time. It’s like summer camp… everyone arrives together and leaves together (Saturday to Saturday stays). They don’t sell day tickets (unless the hotel isn’t sold out), so it’s never crowded. You meet people in the hotel, the bar or the discotheque, and become friends for the week. Everyone has a similar mindset sharing the same passion for skiing…I mean, why else would you spend your summer vacation in the Andes.

If a wide variety of groomer terrain is what you’re looking for, it’s probably not a first choice. But it has some world class lines if you’re a bit adventurous and are fortunate enough to get some good conditions. The incredible views, the history of the resort and the legend of the Laguna Del Inca are worth the visit. Oh, and slingshot lifts are something ever skier should experience at least once in their lifetime.

It’s a unique experience that I would recommend to anyone with a passion for skiing.

Here’s my trip report if you’re interested in diving in further. I’m happy to provide an details on planning or the experience if you have any questions: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/trip-report-for-portillo-august-2018.11385/

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
South American safari. Rental car and you're laughing. Portillo has the rep but it's pretty limited for 2 weeks unless you're training or have exceptional snow.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
norway has some gooood summer skiiing btw.
Not to totally derail this thread, but yeah where? I know about Galdhøpiggen Sommerskisenter, that looks like the Norge version of our Mt Hood summer skiing. Is there anywhere else they run lifts or is it more touring options?

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
South American safari. Rental car and you're laughing. Portillo has the rep but it's pretty limited for 2 weeks unless you're training or have exceptional snow.
Really? There are places that are great to drive and ski, I wouldn't say South America is one of them, the distances are so large. Also not easy to cross between Arg and Chile.

TS
F

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
Hello .Thank you all for the insights and info! Seems like Portillo can be good if they get snow? Website looks like they want you to book early.
Maybe NZ might be better bet when it comes to snow?

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well I backpacked on buses and it never took more than a day between places and had some cool journeys like St Martin to Pucon etc.
Yeah the bus system is pretty good, I would recommend it over driving. I also have had some great trips around the mountains down there, but with a short trip it's better to stay in one or two places, otherwise travel time eats up your ski days.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello .Thank you all for the insights and info! Seems like Portillo can be good if they get snow? Website looks like they want you to book early.
Maybe NZ might be better bet when it comes to snow?
Honestly everywhere in the southern hemisphere is hit or miss with snow. I would pick Portillo over NZ. A good thing about Portillo is that they are very flexible with bookings if the snow conditions are poor. Lots of people must still have credits from 2019.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not to totally derail this thread, but yeah where? I know about Galdhøpiggen Sommerskisenter, that looks like the Norge version of our Mt Hood summer skiing. Is there anywhere else they run lifts or is it more touring options?
and @scott43

and juvass like mentioned https://gpss.no/

Sponsor

Staff online